What? Whoever tells their kids/grandkids that they can't use a BlackBerry for games? (from another thread)
    Now I won't get into whether you're just telling your wife /husband that. That's another issue.

Don't forget the [Parental Controls] in the [Security Settings] (bb10) has them, I'll assume you can do the same with the KEYone. Maybe they can be beefed up a bit (for loaning situations, like the back-seat of the car on a long drive, or the bus, train,flight). But significant things can be locked down, when the kids use the device. Okay teething younsters aside, unless you get a suitable military grade cover with toss protection, for the BlackBerry.

Now yes, the KEYone is an excellent productivity machine, but why does it get typecast into business only. That's definitely not the case.

Saying its no good for games is like saying that the portable Nintendo DS 3D was/is no good for Games either....because its a flip game with physical keys and knobs as well.

Would you, have you bought one or lent one to your kids? teenagers or older? Of course the case is all important for the loaner purpose.

What parental control software would you recommend (so they don't accidentally email/phone/delete/download while gaming on your phone?)
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-16-17 05:17 PM
    So what Android parental control software would you recommend, when temporarily loaning a phone to a youngster (or even a friend) for entertainment value/use movie watching etc, or is there a stock app that works well? (locks away hub or email and phone history etc...personal stuff).
    05-16-17 10:44 PM
    Sure it can run games (its android afterall). But when playing landscape games your right thumb might get tired to reach the screen because of the position of pkb. Its a bit impractical.
    05-16-17 10:46 PM
    So what Android parental control software would you recommend, when temporarily loaning a phone to a youngster (or even a friend) for entertainment value/use movie watching etc, or is there a stock app that works well? (locks away hub or email and phone history etc...personal stuff).
    My phone (not stock android) comes with lite mode and child mode available. It is not new in android. LG has the same mode called guest mode since the very first G series.
    05-16-17 11:11 PM
    Sure it can run games (its android afterall). But when playing landscape games your right thumb might get tired to reach the screen because of the position of pkb. Its a bit impractical.
    Naw... put your two thumbs together and reach around the landscape mode of any or every phone (including pkb's like the BB PASSPORT)....still plenty of room to game with no diminishment, even with the PKB, that's really a non-issue. I've played games on the BB Playbook - not an issue either. It sounds like well sure that might sound like a problem, but in reality there is no problem gaming with a PKB, you barely notice it once playing.

Yes there are stock Child-lock/guest apps with the phones, but I was wondering if there would be a need to get a separate app. ie do the stock apps come with any shortcomings, or are they all just fine as is.
    Like how granular is the control, can you basically lock it up for anything except, one game, or a list of games, or a list of apps (this yes, that no kind of thing). Can't unintall or install anything etc. No play store as well. Maybe you don't want your kid to open the spreadsheet/docs and accidentally delete or resave with altered gibberish in them etc.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 05-17-17 at 12:39 AM.
    05-17-17 12:28 AM
    No way. I don't let my kids play with my phone. Don't want them touching it with their grubby hands or wiping boogers on it. They do that all the time with my guns and I hate cleaning up after them.
    05-17-17 01:13 AM
    No way. I don't let my kids play with my phone. Don't want them touching it with their grubby hands or wiping boogers on it. They do that all the time with my guns and I hate cleaning up after them.
    guns..LOL as long as you give them blanks and cleaning cloth to polish'em up...I can't see where anything might go wrong with that thinking....oh yeah don't go running around the neighborhood with them.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-17-17 01:48 AM
    Naw... put your two thumbs together and reach around the landscape mode of any or every phone (including pkb's like the BB PASSPORT)....still plenty of room to game with no diminishment, even with the PKB, that's really a non-issue. I've played games on the BB Playbook - not an issue either. It sounds like well sure that might sound like a problem, but in reality there is no problem gaming with a PKB, you barely notice it once playing.

Yes there are stock Child-lock/guest apps with the phones, but I was wondering if there would be a need to get a separate app. ie do the stock apps come with any shortcomings, or are they all just fine as is.
    Like how granular is the control, can you basically lock it up for anything except, one game, or a list of games, or a list of apps (this yes, that no kind of thing). Can't unintall or install anything etc. No play store as well. Maybe you don't want your kid to open the spreadsheet/docs and accidentally delete or resave with altered gibberish in them etc.
    Yep. Not a deal breaker. I think it's just a bit annoying when the right controls where it should be on the pkb position of the screen moved more to the left, makes it a bit unbalance when handled with two hands, just need time to get used to. But in one hand game is not a problem.

Stock modes I know works reversely, I don't set what apps are hidden, but I set what apps that permitted to be used by non owner. Since its a built in feature that planted to the core, 3rd party apps that serve the same purpose should need root permissions. And I've never seen any apps that can serve full features without root permissions.
    05-17-17 02:01 AM
    guns..LOL as long as you give them blanks and cleaning cloth to polish'em up...I can't see where anything might go wrong with that thinking....oh yeah don't go running around the neighborhood with them.
    You mean proper Firearm Safety and it is strictly enforced in my household.

My kids don't lack for gaming platforms. Each have their own laptops and tablets. I can only play with our xbox at 5am because they bump me off it when they wake up. They probably posted in a forum somewhere titled "Never let dad touch your xbox"
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    05-17-17 02:11 AM
    Now yes, the KEYone is an excellent productivity machine, but why does it get typecast into business only. That's definitely not the case.

Saying its no good for games is like saying that the portable Nintendo DS 3D was/is no good for Games either....because its a flip game with physical keys and knobs as well.
    Most the keys and knobs on a Nintendo DS works with the games, they serve a purpose within those games.

I haven't seen a kid playing with a new or old DS type device in ages... yet I know they sold more of those last year than BlackBerry did phones.
    05-17-17 07:55 AM

Most the keys and knobs on a Nintendo DS works with the games, they serve a purpose within those games.

I haven't seen a kid playing with a new or old DS type device in ages... yet I know they sold more of those last year than BlackBerry did phones.
    05-17-17 07:56 AM

Yeah the DS is relegated to much younger kids (their target), but I know a few older ones that switch between that and the cell....especially given Nintendo tended to keep the content child-friendly. Their global peak was 2013 (14milliion units), but they're still chugging along at over 7million in 2016 (up from their 2015 numbers), so they're still selling quite well, you just gotta find young kids to see that (at ~200us Dollars a pop still -BestBuy US.) ...along with 50million units of software (from 15-$50 a piece) in 2016 (or Apps in phone language)...but they have good placement in BestBuy and ToysRus(Canada)....
    maybe a specially wrapped BlackBerry (blue and pink) with hardened shell, and featured preloaded best games, should go into the ToysRus electronic games section as a new sales channel, with child-lock features set to run at initial boot time, to get the younger ones and parents interested in the brand again (maybe the DTEK's).
    ...LOL (well maybe).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-17-17 11:54 AM
    Do some lucky kids get to ride in Cadillacs? and do their friends get a ride once in a while too? Sure they do. I'd let the kids take the BlackBerry out for a spin, why wouldn't you?

(PS the capacity keyboard serves a purpose too...we just need more games to make use of them, like we do for other apps. It's not just a business phone anymore )
    05-17-17 09:42 PM
    noobs. do people take gaming on cell phones seriously call them selves gamers? if i want to play i'd play on my sony tv screen and ps4. The keyone is perfect for playing games on the go, but for a cell phone, the last thing i want to do is play games on it. Even on long boring rides or waiting i'd rather browse through websites or watch some youtube.
    06-03-17 02:19 AM