When BB 7.0 OS came out it did not offer UMA/GAN connectivity. That only became available with 7.1 OS.
    Now it seems that we are in the same situation with 10.3 OS, No UMA. Does anyone know when, or even if, UMA / GAN will be made available for BB Classic.
    I don't suppose you can run 7.1 OS on a classic
    07-21-15 11:45 AM
    Wireless calling is a carrier specific feature so you'll need to check with them.
    07-21-15 11:47 AM
    No you can't run BBOS on a Classic.....

BB10 does support it, but it require that your carrier enable this feature (software).

I would not want to speculate on what Carrier's are willing to invest time and resources into development for the BB10 platform. But if you go to some of the larger US Carrier (that offer this feature currently) sites and look at what phones they have "enabled"... it is usually only the best selling models.
    07-21-15 11:59 AM
    If it's so carrier specific why was it a standard feature on 7.1 OS
    07-21-15 12:02 PM
    UMA? Never. That was a hardware-dependent feature. It has been replaced by a software implementation that's called WiFi calling (WFC.)

As to when the WFC will be coming to the Classic on TMO, keep monitoring the CrackBerry TMO sub-forum, crackberry.com, and this TMO support page: https://support.t-mobile.com/communi...ftware-updates
    07-21-15 12:17 PM
    My provider (Orange in UK) supports UMA.
    I have it on my BB 9900 with BB 7.1 OS. I use it all the time as I have no cell coverage were I live.
    Orange tell me that it is not available for Classic. So I have a classic that I can only use as a paper weight (at least it's heavy enough for that). I have had to go on Amazon and buy a "New" (read old unsold stock) 9900.
    Only other choice is change over to a touch screen (Samsung S5) phone, and I really do not want to do that.
    07-21-15 12:25 PM
    I quess have to bow to superior knowledge. Given we were told the same thing about UMA on 7.0 OS and then by magic 7.1 came out and solved the problem, you will forgive me for being somewhat sceptical .
    07-21-15 12:32 PM
    My provider (Orange in UK) supports UMA.
    I have it on my BB 9900 with BB 7.1 OS. I use it all the time as I have no cell coverage were I live.
    Orange tell me that it is not available for Classic. So I have a classic that I can only use as a paper weight (at least it's heavy enough for that). I have had to go on Amazon and buy a "New" (read old unsold stock) 9900.
    Only other choice is change over to a touch screen (Samsung S5) phone, and I really do not want to do that.
    There are two issues at play here:

1. There are no new phones being manufactured with UMA in them. It's all software based now.

2. The only carrier in the world that has brought WFC to BB10 is T-Mobile USA. No other carrier has done it. You can confirm by asking Orange if they have WFC available for the Z10, Q10 or Z30. If they tell you "it's not available," it's because they chose not to make it available. I am a TMO US customer and we have WFC on the Z10 and Q10 models TMO sold--so obviously the devices and OS support the feature.
    07-21-15 12:38 PM
    Thanks again.
    Unfortunatly Orange UK have decided that they do not wish to deal with Blackberry at this time, but say that maybe they will in the future. Given this retrograde step I am hardly suprised at their attitude.
    So I will just carry on with my "new" 9900 until, possibly at some future date Orange decide to work with BB again, then maybe I will be able to get WiFiCalling. That is of course if I have not decided to change to Samsung by then.
    If anyone wants to find out why BB are on the verge of bankruptcy, this example of how to retain loyal customers might serve as a good example.
    07-21-15 12:52 PM
    So I will just carry on with my "new" 9900 until, possibly at some future date Orange decide to work with BB again, then maybe I will be able to get WiFiCalling. That is of course if I have not decided to change to Samsung by then.
    If anyone wants to find out why BB are on the verge of bankruptcy, this example of how to retain loyal customers might serve as a good example.
    So, you're saying Orange has wifi-calling on Samsung? I doubt this. Nor is this some sort of ant-social move on the part of BBerry. BBerry were very much a pioneer in the UMA technology but, as Raino pointed out, that was hardware based. Now that wifi-calling (software based) is avail, your carrier is the culprit if you can't get it. On T-Mo USA it's on most of the phones they carry -- BBerry (Classic coming), Android, WP and iPhone. Blaming BBerry because of a choice your carrier has made seems... lame.

Although.. I believe ee uk has announced wifi-calling.
    raino likes this.
    07-21-15 01:11 PM
    So, you're saying Orange has wifi-calling on Samsung? I doubt this.
    I doubted this too, but it's true. They have it out for a bunch of recent Samsung phones and iPhones. Not even the older Samsungs (S4, Note line, etc,) LG and WP8 phones that have WFC on TMO have it on Orange. So I guess they all must be on the verge of bankruptcy as well.
    scrannel likes this.
    07-21-15 01:17 PM
    EE (Orange + TMO) offer WiFiCalling on Samsung S5,6,& 6Edge, Iphone 5s,5c,6 & 6+, MS lumia 640. If these are the latest phones what does that make the BB Classic? Your loyalty to BB is touching, if missplaced. I would love to be loyal too, but at present the conclusion is inescapable. If you live beyond cell coverage in the UK forget Blackberry.
    Thanks Guys and goodbye
    07-21-15 02:37 PM
    Loyalty? Sorry, this is my first BBerry, and my network lets it on WFC, unlike yours. If it didn't, I would have switched a long time ago. As should have you? We're in a similar situation, My wife has a Curve which works on T-mo USA on UMA. She wants the classic, but can't make the switch until the classic gets WFC. What I don't get is, why would you buy a phone that doesn't have WFC when you need that feature?
    07-21-15 02:48 PM
    EE (Orange + TMO) offer WiFiCalling on Samsung S5,6,& 6Edge, Iphone 5s,5c,6 & 6+, MS lumia 640. If these are the latest phones what does that make the BB Classic? Your loyalty to BB is touching, if missplaced. I would love to be loyal too, but at present the conclusion is inescapable. If you live beyond cell coverage in the UK forget Blackberry.
    Thanks Guys and goodbye
    According to EE's own website, the Lumia 640 does not have WFC. Nor do the LG G4, G3, G2, Samsung Note 4, Note 3, HTC One M9, M8, M7, and whichever Sony Xperias they sell. What does that make these phones? Do you see the one party that is to be blamed here?
    07-21-15 02:58 PM
    Do you see the one party that is to be blamed here?
    I do!
    07-21-15 03:09 PM