It seems to me the whole purpose of having a smartphone is to make your life easier. BlackBerry doesn't do this. Case in point: BlackBerry Link. It's broken!

At the most basic level, BlackBerry should offer easy and reliable syncing of contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, and media with a PC. Especially after all these years!

I have a Q10 on Verizon in the U.S. and I'm running the latest OS. I've upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and have the latest BlackBerry software installed. I cannot for the life of me get this stuff to work reliably together. Apparently, I'm not the only one.

This is my 3rd BlackBerry. 8800, 9810, and Q10. They've all had problems. Both hardware and software related. BlackBerry is supposed to be the best. So frustrating!

My patience is running thin and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I hope BlackBerry can get their act together soon. If not, maybe the best long-term solution will be to go all-in with Microsoft? They seem to have a plan for the future with Windows 10.
    08-01-15 12:20 AM
    Micro 10 was just released! Alot of drivers I need are still not available yet. I have 8 PC's currently running, all different brands and components. I am not thinking of never using a computer again as the drivers will be available asap. I am sure someone is working on link to get it working with 10 as well! Takes patience!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-01-15 12:26 AM
    The problem is, BlackBerry Link didn't work reliably with Windows 7 either. That's one reason I upgraded right away to Windows 10. BlackBerry 10.3.2 may be a factor in the sync problems, but Link still needs work. Or better yet, drop Link altogether and build the backup and sync features into BlackBerry Blend.
    08-01-15 12:57 AM
    I usually find it being user error. I never had a problem with blend or link

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-01-15 01:12 AM
    Have not had problems with the BB link save opening is slow.
    08-01-15 12:31 PM
    I agree with previous two posts. I have also never had an issue. Long-time user.

Posted with my  Classic
    08-01-15 12:56 PM
    Thanks for commenting. I agree that "user-error" is often the problem, even with me -- however, in this case, I use to be able to sync with BlackBerry Link, but now I can't. It is frustrating when core software quits working after a major OS upgrade, especially when that upgrade is mandatory, i.e. Release v10.3.2.556 (OS v10.3.2.858) on Verizon.

Initially, when I launch BlackBerry Link, my Q10 will show in the left-hand tab as "Connected" but will state on the right-hand side a message that Link "Cannot Communicate with Device / Try reconnecting your device to your computer..." with buttons to "Reconnect" or "Reload". Clicking "Reconnect" does the trick. This is the case whether the Q10 is password protected or not. (Prior to v10.3.2 this never occured.)

I can backup my Q10 to my computer using BlackBerry Link doing either a "Quick" or "Full" backup. I have not needed or tried to restore from a backup.

I cannot sync my Q10 contacts without errors to my local Outlook 2013 file using Link. (I'm not on a corporate BES) So, I deleted all contacts on my phone and then moved a subset of my Outlook 2013 contacts to an Outlook.com linked account and now sync over-the-air. This appears to be working, thus bypassing the need to sync via Link. However, this is not a solution for those wishing to keep their contacts off the cloud.

I cannot get Link to sync reliably to my iTunes podcast playlist as before via Wi-Fi or USB. The file transfer usually initiates but doesn't complete. In viewing my Q10's BlackBerry 'music' folder from Windows Explorer, with hidden-items visible, I see the podcast files greyed-out and listed as '.podcastfilename.mp3.$$' and I can tell by the file sizes that they are the exact same size as the source files but they are not playable. Renaming the files to 'podcastnamefile.mp3' by stripping the beginning '.' and ending '.$$' characters makes the files playable in the BlackBerry Music Player.

I can drag-and-drop files, including mp3s, from my computer to phone using BlackBerry Blend and Windows Explorer and they will play. I can also drag-and-drop using BlackBerry Link (LinkDrop), but the files won't play without altering the filename as above. And, of course I cannot complete the sync using BlackBerry Link as previously stated.

Perhaps there is some form of software conflict on my system preventing BlackBerry Link from syncing files between my computer and Q10, however, from what I see here on CrackBerry.com, other people seem to be experiencing the same types of problems as me.
    08-04-15 04:22 PM
    I have the same problem...upgraded to Windows 10, and now BLEND still works but BB Link does not. BLEND works for most tasks, but not for backing up and also not for batch deleting of photos on phone. Tho I also want this fixed, I'm glad to see it is likely not something I've done but the new OS!
    08-12-15 05:17 PM