Dear Community,

I´m facing a really hard decission. I´m looking for a new phone but can`t decide which one I should buy. So I´m asking the Mobile Nation Community on CrackBerry, Android Central, WindowsMobile and iMore for advice.
    First of all: some background information:
    My name is Chris, I´m living in germany (thats why my english skills are not the best) and i like all tech-related stuff. For years I´ve been using BlackBerry phones, starting with a Curve 8900, Torch 9800, Z10 and a Passport. The Passport is my daily driver since 2015 and I really really love it. I love the big screen, I love the keyboard, I love the BlackBerry Hub and I love the design. I have a bachelor degree in Informatic and I like my Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10. I like my RaspberryPi and having Linux on it. I never have had a Mac or an IPhone or an Android Phone. I'm a 6'6 guy (1,98m) and not afraid of big phones
    For most of the time I'm using my phone for emails, messaging (BBM, Whatsapp, Slack), listening music (spotify, amazon music) and browsing. I use twitter from time to time, but I'm not really into social media. I dont have facebook, I dont have instagram, I have no clue why Snapchat is a hype and I'm not blogging. Also I have used my phones cam just a few times over the last 7 years and no, I'm not gaming.
    My phone just should get every work done - quick, simple, intuitive. And it should just be able to do everything if I need it to do so!
    All in all I´m still happy with my Passport, but lets be honest: OS10 has no future. I'm tired of patching android apps everytime I need one, I'm tired of seeing Whatsapps "your device will not be supported after July 2017"-notification and I think I have to choose another system.

The IPhone
    Last week my mobile carrier gave me an unlocked Iphone 7 (32GB, black) for free. I havent opened the box, yet. Everything is originally sealed. My whole family is using Iphones. I mean, really, everyone! I´m the only one who is not using an Apple device. They all use facetime and iMessage and this could be my chance to join them. The design of the IPhone is some kind of borring since it hasnt changed for a while now. But there are some features missing, that are important to me:
    Filemanager
    Using your phone as a USB-Drive or connecting an usb thumb drive to my phone;
    network integration (my passport acts like a normal pc in a wireless network, so i can copy and paste files from pc with windows explorer).
    maybe thats a stupid feeling, but i think that I´m not an IPhone Guy.

The Windows Phone
    Since the Lumia 950 I´m very interested in Windows10 Mobile and everything around it. Because I like my Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 I think it would be nice to have a windows phone. Especially the HP Elite X3 has gotten my attention. But more and more big players like Spotify are cutting theyr support or never had an app for Windows Mobile. I´ve been on this road with BlackBerry the last 4 years and I don`t want to miss things again. My other concerns are, that nobody knows what will happen with Windows Mobile. I have read, that Microsoft is planning support for x86 Apps but that they will need at least the Snapdragon 835 Processor. So if Microsoft cuts windows 10 mobile, the Elite X3 is a very expensive pocket watch and if they are really going on it will not get the newest features :/

The Android Phone
    I totally dislike Android. For me It`s ugly. Yes, I know, there are skins and launchers and themes and icons, but thats not what i mean. The whole android concept is a mess. There is no consistency, every manufacturer is doing what he thinks is the best - resulting in many different systems and just a few are constantly updated. Security is a mess, phones are getting old really fast and not every android phone has the same set of features.
    But Android may have everything I'm looking for. There is an app for everything. Your looking for a special function? I bet there is an app for it.

The BlackBerry
    BlackBerrys Keyone is a real beauty. I love the design, i love the keyboard. But I simply dont like android. What kind of compromis would that be: love the hardware, hate the software? Maybe it is the best compromis i could get: hardware keyboard, beautiful design, lots of apps, expandable memory and long lasting battery with an OS-Design I dont like. Next to the keyboard all BlackBerrys have the BlackBerry Apps preinstalled. So I don`t have to pay to get the Hub back. The Keyone is the only reason why I would eventually switch to android.

Conclusion
    Finally I have to decide between 3 devices: IPhone 7, HP Elite X3, BlackBerry Keyone
    I dont want to start a fanboy war, but I would like to hear different opinions. Maybe you guys can tell me everything I don`t know yet about all the platforms and devices. What do you guys like on your chosen OS?
    jope28 likes this.
    04-07-17 03:09 PM
    This is a well thought out post and you have clearly laid out the ideas for yourself, so why is it that you need someone else to make your buying choices for you? You say you don't want a fanboy war which is cool, but you're asking on a BlackBerry/Android based forum, so any thoughts you get back are inherently biased lol.
    04-07-17 03:14 PM
    Can tell you one thing! Myself huge BlackBerry fan and currently have a Passport SE but made the move to PRIV. What I found was a great unique device with a great screen and an OS that receives constant updates, new apps, etc. At the end it is BlackBerry Amplified secured Android with a lot features coming from10OS. Now this past August was lucky to be invited to KEYone launch in Barcelona and believe me once you have in your hand you will love it. So yes recommend you the KEYone without a doubt!
    04-07-17 03:27 PM
    Well OP, you can manage files on your iphone using iCloud. Drops files in your icloud drive and it will show up on your phone. Save files on your phone on icloud and you'll find it on your PC/Mac.

Otherwise, iOS file system is app centric, meaning that you open the app that the file is associated to.

If your intention is to be connected with your family, get an iphone. the ecosystem is really well done: from sharing icloud albums to imessage.

But if we your intention is to be the black sheep, I would say that you should get the keyone!
    04-07-17 03:33 PM
    Dear Community,

I´m facing a really hard decission. I´m looking for a new phone but can`t decide which one I should buy. So I´m asking the Mobile Nation Community on CrackBerry, Android Central, WindowsMobile and iMore for advice.
    My name is Chris, I´m living in germany (thats why my english skills are not the best) and i like all tech-related stuff. For years I´ve been using BlackBerry phones, starting with a Curve 8900, Torch 9800, Z10 and a Passport. The Passport is my daily driver since 2015 and I really really love it. I love the big screen, I love the keyboard, I love the BlackBerry Hub and I love the design. I have a bachelor degree in Informatic and I like my Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10. I like my RaspberryPi and having Linux on it. I never have had a Mac or an IPhone or an Android Phone. I'm a 6'6 guy (1,98m) and not afraid of big phones
    For most of the time I'm using my phone for emails, messaging (BBM, Whatsapp, Slack), listening music (spotify, amazon music) and browsing. I use twitter from time to time, but I'm not really into social media. I dont have facebook, I dont have instagram, I have no clue why Snapchat is a hype and I'm not blogging. Also I have used my phones cam just a few times over the last 7 years and no, I'm not gaming.
    My phone just should get every work done - quick, simple, intuitive. And it should just be able to do everything if I need it to do so!
    All in all I´m still happy with my Passport, but lets be honest: OS10 has no future. I'm tired of patching android apps everytime I need one, I'm tired of seeing Whatsapps "your device will not be supported after July 2017"-notification and I think I have to choose another system.

The IPhone
    Last week my mobile carrier gave me an unlocked Iphone 7 (32GB, black) for free. I havent opened the box, yet. Everything is originally sealed. My whole family is using Iphones. I mean, really, everyone! I´m the only one who is not using an Apple device. They all use facetime and iMessage and this could be my chance to join them. The design of the IPhone is some kind of borring since it hasnt changed for a while now. But there are some features missing, that are important to me:
    Filemanager
    network integration (my passport acts like a normal pc in a wireless network, so i can copy and paste files from pc with windows explorer).

The Windows Phone
    Since the Lumia 950 I´m very interested in Windows10 Mobile and everything around it. Because I like my Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 I think it would be nice to have a windows phone. Especially the HP Elite X3 has gotten my attention. But more and more big players like Spotify are cutting theyr support or never had an app for Windows Mobile. I´ve been on this road with BlackBerry the last 4 years and I don`t want to miss things again. My other concerns are, that nobody knows what will happen with Windows Mobile. I have read, that Microsoft is planning support for x86 Apps but that they will need at least the Snapdragon 835 Processor. So if Microsoft cuts windows 10 mobile, the Elite X3 is a very expensive pocket watch and if they are really going on it will not get the newest features :/

The Android Phone
    I totally dislike Android. For me It`s ugly. Yes, I know, there are skins and launchers and themes and icons, but thats not what i mean. The whole android concept is a mess. There is no consistency, every manufacturer is doing what he thinks is the best - resulting in many different systems and just a few are constantly updated. Security is a mess, phones are getting old really fast and not every android phone has the same set of features.
    But Android may have everything I'm looking for. There is an app for everything. Your looking for a special function? I bet there is an app for it.

The BlackBerry
    BlackBerrys Keyone is a real beauty. I love the design, i love the keyboard. But I simply dont like android. What kind of compromis would that be: love the hardware, hate the software? Maybe it is the best compromis i could get: hardware keyboard, beautiful design, lots of apps, expandable memory and long lasting battery with an OS-Design I dont like. Next to the keyboard all BlackBerrys have the BlackBerry Apps preinstalled. So I don`t have to pay to get the Hub back. The Keyone is the only reason why I would eventually switch to android.

Conclusion
    Finally I have to decide between 3 devices: IPhone 7, HP Elite X3, BlackBerry Keyone
    I dont want to start a fanboy war, but I would like to hear different opinions. Maybe you guys can tell me everything I don`t know yet about all the platforms and devices. What do you guys like on your chosen OS?
    Personally I don't like how you are shut down using Apple and locked into whatever Apple wants you to do.

That leaves you with two. I don't see consumers buying the KEYone unless they want a PKB or in some cases miss the PKB.

How do you feel about the PKB ?
    04-07-17 03:36 PM
    I'll go for keyone. Simply because of available applications, yes it's android but it's not just android, it's blackberry android. And I like blackberry phone design.

I might be wrong, but I can expect how future iphone and most android phone design will be. Square phone, home button at the bottom, and for android will come with back button and menu button.

Posted from  Passport :Red Edition
    04-07-17 11:02 PM
    This is a well thought out post and you have clearly laid out the ideas for yourself, so why is it that you need someone else to make your buying choices for you? You say you don't want a fanboy war which is cool, but you're asking on a BlackBerry/Android based forum, so any thoughts you get back are inherently biased lol.
    I know that people on CrackBerry would tend to recommend BlackBerry Devices like people on iMore would recommend IPhones and I'm totalle fine with it. But I would like to have different views from people who knew the pro's and cons of their favourite OSs and phones. That's why I'm asking people at different forums so that I could get a good overview. I never owned other phones than Blackberrys, so I need advices from someone who maybe switched platforms and could tell me about his / her experiences and why he / she switched back or not.
    I don't need other people to make a choice for me, I only wish to know which of my doubts are justified and which are not. Who should I ask if not the Mobile Nations Community? I'm a member of this community for a long time now and I have trust in you guys.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 12:15 AM
    I don't need other people to make a choice for me, I only wish to know which of my doubts are justified and which are not. Who should I ask if not the Mobile Nations Community? I'm a member of this community for a long time now and I have trust in you guys.
    Fair enough.
    04-08-17 12:18 AM
    1)I have used the iPhone and Androids, and can say that typing on the Blackberry generates far fewer keying in mistakes, and is less ackward for big fingers (especially the Passport), far fewer typing mistakes. So if accuracy is important I would stay with Blackberry....though I haven't used every flavour of those other devices....the touch screen blackberry devices were more accurate for me as well, but not as accurate as the physical keyboard.
    2)I also love projecting via WiFi documents through Miracast (for example on Passport) onto the Big Screen SmartTV's supporting Miracast TV to read. Likewise for watching streaming videos (for quick views - as there can be some audio video mismatching if you aren't attaching via an HDMI cable)
    04-08-17 04:23 AM
    Since you stated that you don't really want to miss things aka "apps" anymore, than you can forget about the windows phone. Leaving you with apple vs android, I would suggest you get key1 from BlackBerry. From your post you seem hesitant to use apple bc it would seem that everyone you know uses an apple phone and bc of that turns you off to the brand. That leaves you with the choice of an android phone and as you said all the different manufacturers make their own version of the os which can be hectic but based on the review on BlackBerry droid devices which I've read mostly positive stuff, you being a fan of BlackBerry for a while now, and your app needs, #keyONE seems to be imo your best bet for your next phone yo

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 04:34 AM
    Blackberry defo keyone

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 12:28 PM
    Based on your needs outlined in the first post, you've painted yourself into an Android corner. That said, you'd be best off with an Android phone from an OEM that provides timely updates. Google recently commended BlackBerry, Samsung, Nexus/Pixel, LG and some others for keeping up to date. You have your choice within that list, although​ since you noted down expandable storage that really leaves you with BlackBerry or Samsung. If that's negotiable it opens you up to the Pixel. Of course, if the keyboard is a must, then your only option is the KEYone.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-08-17 02:57 PM
    Thx to all of you guys.
    Maybe Android would truly be the best fit :/
    There are a lot of Android Phones out there, so I will have a look which one will fit my needs the most.
    I just found a person who would buy the IPhone for 600€, so that's a pretty good amount of money to invest in a future phone. I will let you know how this story ends

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 06:08 AM
    Dear Community,

The IPhone
    Filemanager

The Windows Phone

The Android Phone

The BlackBerry

Conclusion
    Well my advice to you is I was a loyal windows mobile user for awhile but don't get a windows 10 mobile phone it's a big waste of money it's buggy and kinda unreliable I would go with a windows 8 or 8.1

 BlackBerry|Passport OG|BBM-2C20B7AC
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-09-17 06:40 AM
    Any one of these three phones is more than enough for you to get your job done. I agree with the gentleman who said that it all comes down to your priorities, i.e. whether you prioritize the ease of communication with your family (iPhone) or comfort of integration with the PC (HP) or want to stay with your favorite brand while enjoying a slick design, productivity, tons of apps and a powerful battery (KEYone).
    Guess I've given myself away, though
    04-11-17 09:56 AM