I'm worried about theft or loss of my phone due to travel and life in general. And while I don't have any sensitive files per se, I do keep myself logged into many accounts on my Q10 such as amazon, gmail, social media, etc. Also, my evernote account which has every single note I've ever taken.

So here are my questions:
    -Does encryption slow down your phone at all (other than boot up time)?
    -Is there any reason NOT to encrypt?
    -Would you encrypt your phone in a similar situation?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 09:53 AM
    I'm worried about theft or loss of my phone due to travel and life in general. And while I don't have any sensitive files per se, I do keep myself logged into many accounts on my Q10 such as amazon, gmail, social media, etc. Also, my evernote account which has every single note I've ever taken.

Posted via CB10
    - It does slow down file transfers (noticeably via USB) because the device encrypts the file being received on the fly, but aside from this, there is no slow down on the phone's navigation.
    - There is no reason not to encrypt, except if you're just too lazy to do it. It adds an extra layer of protection. Personally, my device is encrypted. SD card isn't encrypted since all that is in there are mostly music. No photos or videos that would get me in trouble.
    - Yes, I would.

Posted via CB10
    - It does slow down file transfers (noticeably via USB) because the device encrypts the file being received on the fly, but aside from this, there is no slow down on the phone's navigation.
    - There is no reason not to encrypt, except if you're just too lazy to do it. It adds an extra layer of protection. Personally, my device is encrypted. SD card isn't encrypted since all that is in there are mostly music. No photos or videos that would get me in trouble.
    - Yes, I would.
    10-09-14 10:15 AM
    Many of OP concerns are shared by me. I use a pretty strong password for the phone and do not encrypt anything. If the wrong password is entered 10 times the phone will perform a security wipe. That is enough for me.

The SD card is not encrypted but only holds music and photos. There are a few encrypted files stored there and protected on their own.
    10-09-14 10:22 AM
    If you feel like it, I say go ahead. But for daily use, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to the average folk.

Encryption is good, but, man, do we get a bunch of people screaming "pls help installed the new leak and now everything on my media card is gone is there a way to get my files back?!1!!one!", specially when it clearly states the SD's contents will become inaccessible if wiped.

Personally, I keep sensitive stuff on my password protected device, and mundane stuff like music and silly videos on the easily retrievable media card.

No way to get around the phones password by your average thief.
    10-09-14 10:25 AM
    If you encrypt and you forget your password or have some sort of similar problem your files are gone forever. (well, practically--if you have a few billion and a decade(or longer with less money) you could probably manage to get them back)

As far as I know you can't save unencrypted backups, so it is vital to make sure you always know your password, and your password at time if backup.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:34 AM
    What about when doing a carrier supplied (ota) update? When encryption is enabled, would that wipe out the phone as well?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 01:45 PM
    What about when doing a carrier supplied (ota) update? When encryption is enabled, would that wipe out the phone as well?

Posted via CB10
    Nope
    10-09-14 02:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    1) YES
    2) YES - slows down the device, possible data loss
    3) NO

Password lock would be enough to protect most of your accounts.
    I'd only encrypt my device if I or my data were important enough to warrant it.
    Would definitely not encrypt a media card, unless that info was backed up somewhere else.
    10-09-14 03:31 PM