Can I ask what's meant by a phone needing a few days to "settle in" after a new OS is installed? What does "settling in" involve? Fast battery drain?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 11:04 AM
    The phone works its balls off, CPU is jumping around at 60-70% which is why the battery drains, you get all of them Yellow Help Boxes around the OS and it generally sets itself up.
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 11:15 AM
    It is just letting the new device get familiar with the in house OS or an old device doing the same with a new version of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 11:19 AM
    There's a lot that goes on after an os upgrade. You have to give everything some time to run and and start to get along. Usually after a couple of hours, things are operating pretty fair but full run in isn't complete for a couple days. Can be the same for reboots as your Headless apps reestablish themselves.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 11:21 AM
    The phone spends resources indexing etc. after an OS install and content being added. If you have a lot of media and or are syncing a lot of accounts, this can drain the battery heavily.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 11:40 AM
    Thanks, that's what my Q10's been doing since last Wednesday's update to 10.3.2.440. Yesterday I autoloaded 680. The CPU is still running PIM Services and Android Player at 50-60%. I guess that I wait for a few days (again).

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 12:32 PM
    It usually takes my setup about an hour AFTER first boot completes to settle to idle (6% cpu). Takes about 30 minutes after subsequent boots to reach that, as I have a lot of Android apps. I have only one email account - Gmail (email, contacts, calendar), so PIM activity is negligible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Last edited by conite; 06-07-15 at 02:41 PM.
    06-07-15 12:43 PM
    Thanks, that's what my Q10's been doing since last Wednesday's update to 10.3.2.440. Yesterday I autoloaded 680. The CPU is still running PIM Services and Android Player at 50-60%. I guess that I wait for a few days (again).

Posted via CB10
    This is not normal if you aren't doing anything. Try a hard reboot using both volume keys.
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 02:32 PM
    This is not normal if you aren't doing anything. Try a hard reboot using both volume keys.
    I've hard rebooted many, many times (15+) on both 440 and 680. I've removed the battery and I've allowed the battery to run out (it takes only 3-4 hours from 100%) a couple of times. I've also done a factory reset at least 3-4 times, and I've also avoided restoring my old profile -- none of these actions is having any effect on the CPU/battery consumption. and both PIM Services and Android Player insist on using a ton of resources. I'm willing to wait a few days to see if another autoload is released, but I don't see a bright future for my Q10. I wish I hadn't selected 'auto update', but every previous version (10.1.xx and 10.2.xx) was just fine. I saw nothing but improvements. I generally run very few apps, no games, just news and weather. I've pared them down to the essentials and are all native, I'm pretty sure.
    06-07-15 04:17 PM
    For anyone who cares, I may have solved the issue of PIM services and/or Android Player using up to 50% of my CPU and draining the battery my Q10 after the 10.3.2.440 and 680 updates. I wiped the phone and selected the option to send information to Blackberry in the initial setup screens -- I think that might have been related to the Android Player overuse of my CPU/battery. I had assumed that the less contact with a server, the better for my battery, but I suspect otherwise.

Now my phone showed over 2 days' worth of battery remaining, and "Android Player" idled. I assume I've handled that issue.

Then I added my email accounts waiting for things to "settle" after each added account. I noticed that my work email (a small northern Ontario university) suddenly triggered a huge spike in CPU use, thanks to PIM (we're talking 30%-40%, which is a slight decline from earlier, but I only had 2 accounts loaded at this point). I phoned my work's IT department, and they know nothing about BBerry at all. But while I was on the phone with them, I "unselected" (1) sync calendar and (2) sync contacts and after a short interval, things settled down and PIM Services idled. Now I've also removed "sync tasks" and "sync memos" and PIM Services has idled.

I tentatively put this out there as a solution -- for the time being.
    06-08-15 11:21 AM