I don't get all the terminology, but have read that BB is more secure because it provides end to end encryption of emails, messages, etc (WHEN in conjunction with BES). Is this accurate?

If I don't have BES, is there any advantage to owning the BB as far as security goes? BB is always touted as "more secure" - HOW?

I'm self-employed and need encryption due to my line of work. What's the best way?
    01-01-15 06:15 PM
    I'll leave this alone, and wait for someone smarter than I, but BlackBerry is king
    01-01-15 07:10 PM
    If you have BIS and email directly to another BIS or BES phone....I believe you are secure.

If you BBM to another BlackBerry (even if no BIS or BES).....I believe you are secure.

If you don't have BIS or BES, and just send an email, it's no different than an Iphone doing it....as far as I know.

Recently in the news some Mexican drug lords were busted and the police showed the phones they were using in the pile of evidence. They had nothing but BlackBerry's....BBOS phones, most likely because of either BIS to BIS emails, or simply for BBM between them. Completely encrypted. Even bad guys know where the most secure phones are.
    01-01-15 07:17 PM
    As I understand it, the only way to secure communications is to have both sides of the communication, whether it is phone calls, messaging, or emails, use the same service/software that offers encrypted communications. There are plenty of 3rd party companies that offer solutions besides BES. There is no way to encrypt communications on only one side, and not the other. The receiving side will need the appropriate software to access and decrypt the encrypted data.

As far as I know, with a consumer level non-BES BlackBerry, your data on the device is encrypted and secure by default, where as other manufacturers devices need to have this feature activated, if it is available at all. But as soon as any data is transmitted, it is as secure as any other mobile device using the same medium of communication. A BlackBerry using carrier LTE or unsecure WiFi to send emails over GMail is no more secure than an iPhone or Android doing the same thing.
    01-01-15 09:07 PM
    Check this out:
    the_simple_computer | A Resource for InfoSocial Awareness

Personally, I wouldn't trust "free" services, but most of the free accounts offered above are limited, so you're encouraged to purchase a premium account. Or, go for a free service that lives off of donations if you feel you can trust it enough.

Now, for end-to-end encryption, you AND your recipient should be using an email service that supports it. You'd have to generate an encryption key. There are different ways to go about this depending on your email provider and email client, so you'll have to follow their guides. Make sure you pick a service that gives YOU control over the encryption keys rather than store them on their servers. Openmailbox is one option, and stores the keys in your own browser.
    01-06-15 05:32 AM
    Its more secure because you have total app permission control when you install BB10 apps.
    Comunication encryptions- buy BBM Protect and a hosted BES Service.

Posted via Q10Bold
    01-06-15 05:45 AM
    i have been trying to figure this out too. It seems if you don't have BES its more complex. Some secure email providers dont want to use IMAP/SSL at all because it can be exploited. I cannot figure out how to add my own encryption keys to make encryption work in the Hub. Alternatively theres an app called PgPGP that does all the work for you but reading the emails is not done in the Hub.

When looking at "secure" services you really should read up on them, Openmailbox looks good, but I did further digging and it appears France has a law where messages cannot be encrypted on servers so you are just relying on trust. Theres others like Unseen.is (Iceland), it will allow IMAP but by doing so you are less secure, if you wanted full encrytion you would need to use their app or log into their website from your computer (or use Thunderbird)

Protonmail (Switzerland) and Lavaboom (Germany) also look trusting, but they dont want to use IMAP only apps.

Additionally, if the services encrytion uses PGP then you dont need to be on the same service as the other person, but you do need to know how to exchange Keys..

As far as BBM its my understanding it is still a safe way as it is encrypted, but unless your have BBM Protected then its not as good as Blackberry has the keys and could in theory decrypt it
    01-13-15 12:47 PM
    Just started using wickr. It seems to be good and even if it get hacked which seems unlikely as no data is stored no-one will know who sent it.
    BTW you have to side load it via snap
    01-17-15 06:20 AM