Help please! I'm a new convert and just bought my first tablet, a nearly new Playbook, so I can access email etc on that. But I need a reliable phone for interviews and my work (which involves some travel in and out of the US). Using iPhone 4s (awful since they forced upgrade to iOs 7 when battery failed and they replaced phone last spring).

I need a reliable workhorse with good speakerphone option for recording interviews. Yes, I'm a baby-berry, but I've been drawn to Blackberry for years and it solidified last summer when BB was the only reason why I met a big deadline while in East Africa... Long story short: BB to the rescue! I'm hungry for a Passport, but money is a factor right now and local Sprint store personnel haven't even heard of the PP (wth!) - nor do they know if they can get me any other BB model by special order. How's that for iffy customer service!

So, I'm keeping the 4s but want to bolster my option with pay-as-you-go with T-Mobile. I need a good reliable 3G GSM CDMA. 9900 or 9930 or what? really can't spare more than $125 to 150 max. Thank you!
    10-09-14 01:00 PM
    This is a very subjective question. You would be ok with either a 9930 or a 9900. A T-Mobile branded 9900 is your best bet as it will most reliably get 3G service. An AT&T 9900, or Canadian 9900 you may or may not get 3G depending upon what towers T-Mobile has in your area, the same for a Verizon or Sprint 9930. The plus side for having a Sprint or Verizon brand 9930 is you have the option of bring it to that carrier should you choose to at a later date. BUT if you don't have the right 3G towers in your area you will be stuck on EDGE or 2G. I would say get a T-Mobile branded 9900 you should be able to do so in your stated price range.
    The 9900 will have better bands for T-mobile (both 900 and 2100 are present) but both may work. The 9930 has only the 2100 band so coverage may be limited.

My family just purchased a brand new in the box 9900 (T-Mobile branded) for $200. A used device in very good condition should be available for your price range.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-09-14 01:08 PM
    This is a very subjective question. You would be ok with either a 9930 or a 9900. A T-Mobile branded 9900 is your best bet as it will most reliably get 3G service. An AT&T 9900, or Canadian 9900 you may or may not get 3G depending upon what towers T-Mobile has in your area, the same for a Verizon or Sprint 9930. The plus side for having a Sprint or Verizon brand 9930 is you have the option of bring it to that carrier should you choose to at a later date. BUT if you don't have the right 3G towers in your area you will be stuck on EDGE or 2G. I would say get a T-Mobile branded 9900 you should be able to do so in your stated price range.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-09-14 01:12 PM
    9900 a great option. T-Mobile great in and out of the US

DHS
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-09-14 01:12 PM
    Wow - great and quick replies. I found 9930 "like new" on ebay - Sprint, the seller said, but doesn't know if it's been cleaned up for a new owner. Grateful to CB forums - found a link to send, which explains how to wipe out previous phone owner so that new owner can just get on with it. I don't want to put out any money and discover that I have to pretend to be someone else. nuh uh, no thanks! Seller said she would get back to me. I love near a Sprint tower - no clue whether it's 3G or what. They did work on it recently. I think everyone uses it. The NIMBY mentality out here in the country is amazing, but all the FCC made it impossible with regulations against towers being installed - I'm in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and essentially I decided to rent this place because of the cell signal! I don't know LTE from my own initials! I find all the hype and lack of practical info mind-boggling. I just want a reliable phone. Apps - big deal. I spend way too much time on digital devices to play games on my phone. It's all sort of crazy-making. But I will look for 9900 and see what's out there. Thank you all so much!
    10-09-14 01:41 PM
    You want to get the 9900. Moreover, for most places you want to get the 9900 with the following bands: 900/1700/2100 (i.e. you don't want to get the one with the bands 850/1900/2100.)

Keep in mind, this phone is not LTE capable.

Off topic, but what's up with pk's reply always getting tagged as the best? Lol
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-09-14 07:29 PM
    I was able to get a Q10 in a great condition for $150. Try searching for a Z10 or Q10 on ebay and see if you find one.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 08:11 PM
    OMG - this is devouring so much time!!!!! BUT I WANT A BB!!!!!! I found a white 9900 - flat-looking keyboard for $165 - found unlocked (branded AT&T) for really good price (less than my budget (125-150) that's alleged to be in excellent shape and ready to put in my sim card (when I purchase it from local t-mob), and then there's a live auction for unlocked T-Mob 9900 from a seller who doesn't list a lot of items but has 100% feedback. Now I am well aware that most people are borderline stupid when it comes to kneejerk reactions due to dependence on instant gratification. I'm still working through stuff with new used Playbook (can't get on landlord's wifi, which my mac is on right now - go figure) but that's okay. I'm up to my ears in hardware and tech. But I'm having the worst time deciding what to do. I feel as if I should put in my bid for the t-m 9900 with the 100% pos seller feedback, but I'm drawn to the BIN bargain. I win whatever I do as a bad purchase is still a deductible business expense. Any thoughts? but that white 9900 with the flat keyboard - branded t-mob - it just looks so strange. I don't mind different, I just want to know my little digits will get used to the BB kb. any thoughts, kindred enthusiasts?
    10-10-14 09:38 AM
    sigh - more time spent researching... but yes, actually, I started looking at the Q10 and Z10 - but the lowest BIN price I found was 220 and the bidding wars are seem to top out around that or even higher. I did look at them on ebay, looking only at unlocked and either T-M or AT&T. I'm a newbie - I am not going to dump current 4s (detested due to iOS 7) on contract to Sprint. I need to find out how signal works out here (very near Sprint tower) on the BB first. Also, I want the GSM option for travel - not to mention the removable sim card and the micro sd card - all of which saved my life on deadline last summer! It would be a lot easier to travel with BB and PB - especially if the PG bridges to BB and I can transfer documents. Otherwise, am going to get usb micro adaptor and see if I can get documents out of PB to little flash drive. Any suggestions about that, oh wise ones, let me know! Okay, deadlines call. Thank you all. I love this site and most of the people (well, some exceptions) seem like great folks!
    10-10-14 09:49 AM
    You want to get the 9900. Moreover, for most places you want to get the 9900 with the following bands: 900/1700/2100 (i.e. you don't want to get the one with the bands 850/1900/2100.)

oh, look at his numbers - holy wow, that alone puts him into grand poobah category... : )
    10-10-14 09:56 AM
    You would want to get the TMO 9900 auction listing, as that will get you 3G/HSPA+ in more places than the other 9900. The AT&T 9900 may get you 3G/HSPA+ too, but it will be hit or miss depending on where you are.

Plus, if you're interested in a feature called WiFi calling, it will be easier to manage on the TMO 9900.
    10-10-14 11:10 AM
    Okay, PK, am going for unlocked 9900 T-Mobile but do you mind awfully reading what I posted today in this thread about the three auctions I found? and I guess I need to make sure that the IMEI is clear so that I have that option when I must go out of the US? Thank you so much!!!
    10-10-14 11:21 AM
    Raino, thank you for replying. I have choice of two T-Mo - a black one, live bidding for next seven hours or so and a BIN white 9900 with flat-looking keyboard - it's a little more than my $150 top end, but has been "reconditioned to new condition, excellent shape, works perfectly" and IMEI is clear, and except for being white with flat-looking keyboard, even this baby-berry can't fault it... what do you think?
    10-10-14 11:26 AM
    Raino, thank you for replying. I have choice of two T-Mo - a black one, live bidding for next seven hours or so and a BIN white 9900 with flat-looking keyboard - it's a little more than my $150 top end, but has been "reconditioned to new condition, excellent shape, works perfectly" and IMEI is clear, and except for being white with flat-looking keyboard, even this baby-berry can't fault it... what do you think?
    If they are both truly TMO 9900s, then they are both equally compatible on the TMO network. Then it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I would get the black one because I am generally not a fan of white phones. Plus if the white one's keyboard looks flatter than the black one's, provided it's not a photo angle effect, it suggests to me an aftermarket alteration, and I'm doubly not a fan of those. And the white one's description also has me wondering if it's a refurbished unit (as opposed to just used.)

TL;DR: raino would get the black one, but if you like the white for color/aesthetics, go for it
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-10-14 11:36 AM
    nope, Raino - I have a white 4s, which has sort of backs me off getting another white phone.

Thanks! will bid on the live auction with the 100% pos feedback...

omg - look at the time!!! back to deadline dementia!
    10-10-14 11:47 AM
    If they are both truly TMO 9900s, then they are both equally compatible on the TMO network. Then it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I would get the black one because I am generally not a fan of white phones. Plus if the white one's keyboard looks flatter than the black one's, provided it's not a photo angle effect, it suggests to me an aftermarket alteration, and I'm doubly not a fan of those. And the white one's description also has me wondering if it's a refurbished unit (as opposed to just used.)

TL;DR: raino would get the black one, but if you like the white for color/aesthetics, go for it
    SOS - is there a problem if a BB is refurbished and not simply used? Dish, please!
    10-10-14 02:54 PM
    SOS - is there a problem if a BB is refurbished and not simply used? Dish, please!
    Not necessarily. 'Refurbished' could mean a bunch of things, from 'used, we just shined it up' to 'there was something seriously wrong, we fixed it...and shined it up.' It's also another one of those personal preference things, I guess--I would not get a refurb phone unless I'm getting it from a carrier, or has some kind of a warranty on it: basically only if there's someone I can nail should things go wrong.

'Used' to me conveys a much narrower meaning--one that doesn't include any sort of problems that may have gotten fixed. There are various levels of 'used' too, so it would be a good idea to find out--if you can--if there are any nicks, paint chips, cracks, etc. Of course, 'used, had no problems' doesn't guarantee a perfectly running device for eternity either.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-10-14 03:40 PM
    YIPPEEEEEEE - I got the unlocked T-Mob BB 9900 for $115 from 100% feedback seller who rated it in excellent cosmetic shape, IMEI clear, ready for a sim card and use AND the 9900 comes with the following goodies: Charger and cable, 2 batteries, 8 GB micro sd card, Dicota case, otterbox case, OEM leather holster, oem charger(door broken but functional), cable, oem cradle - woot! Sounds as if someone traded in the 9900 for newer model. I GOT LUCKY!!!! can't wait to get sim card and see if this baby works at home. sigh... it was very exciting, but great to be able to key in my max bid and wait, appealing to my fairies and angels, while humming che sera, sera like a strange Italian mantra... The seller was great - answered all of my questions very pleasantly - he said he has been BB user for 10 years and there is nothing else to match the productivity. I can't wait to try it with my digital recorder for phone interview - that's been a huge hassle with the 4s. well, now that little dickens has a sibling - like putting a Thoroughbred against a miniature horse - no contest! Thank you all!!!! hope to run across y'all here in the future!
    10-10-14 06:17 PM

Maybe he does the tagging! Actually often times I come in to a thread that needs an answer and I provide it and then also tag it. IF a better answer comes I would be happy to change it. I've marked you a few times too.
    raino likes this.
    10-14-14 07:58 AM
    Maybe he does the tagging! Actually often times I come in to a thread that needs an answer and I provide it and then also tag it. IF a better answer comes I would be happy to change it. I've marked you a few times too.
    Hahah no worries pk. I was just wondering how the tagging system works, since I've seen only some threads end up getting tagged with a 'best answer.' Thanks for explaining it to me.
    10-14-14 09:14 AM