Hi last time my dad went to Italy he complained his battery died within hours. I found out that when the phone is constantly looking for LTE which they don't have, it will drain the battery. I would guess he needs to set it to 2g/3g but when I had I look at his phone it was different than mine. Does anyone have any ideas? Snap shot below

What band to use in Italy? Telus phone with roaming pack-img_20150815_182255.png

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 05:12 PM
    You didn't mention which carrier he uses in Italy. Vodafone has 4G In Italy. You should also compare the Bands & Frequencies supported by his phone and the ones used in Italy.
    Have a look here: GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    08-16-15 05:34 PM
    You didn't mention which carrier he uses in Italy. Vodafone has 4G In Italy. You should also compare the Bands & Frequencies supported by his phone and the ones used in Italy.
    Have a look here: GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the link.
    He still uses the TELUS sim (canada) just roaming. I don't what what band Italy uses which is kinda why I'm here.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 05:44 PM
    Looked at the link and now I'm more confused. Looks like Italy has lte as well. Idk. Anyone else have any experience here? My dad is not tech savvy and I want to change his phone before he leaves to Italy.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 05:53 PM
    So then the question is who does Telus use in Italy? It may be that Telus uses multiple carriers in Europe and it is alway searching for the best one. It may also be simply due to being in Roaming mode.

Thurask may be able to provide more information.
    ezapper2 likes this.
    08-16-15 05:57 PM
    Tnx. Based on the snapshot in the OP, if I wanted to set only 3G what would I select?

I'm assuming the naming is different for Telus. I'm on Rogers and I have selection for 3g and 4g

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 06:17 PM
    If all you plan to do with this phone while you're there is call or text, set it to GSM. But if you plan to use data, HSPA+/GSM/UMTS is what I'd set the phone to. Your Z10 does not have the bands to get LTE in Italy.

Then when you get there, if the speeds feel really slow (like, 2G slow,) then set your phone to GSM. If your speed stays the same, keep it. If the speed drops, go back up to HSPA+/GSM/UMTS.
    ezapper2 and BB-JAM215 like this.
    08-16-15 06:34 PM
    I meant to say "raino may be able to provide more information".
    ezapper2 likes this.
    08-16-15 06:37 PM
    If all you plan to do with this phone while you're there is call or text, set it to GSM. But if you plan to use data, HSPA+/GSM/UMTS is what I'd set the phone to. Your Z10 does not have the bands to get LTE in Italy.

Then when you get there, if the speeds feel really slow (like, 2G slow,) then set your phone to GSM. If your speed stays the same, keep it. If the speed drops, go back up to HSPA+/GSM/UMTS.
    Amazing. That's exactly the answer I was looking for.

Also are you saying if he was using a z30 he can get LTE? Just realized last time he went he was on a z10 but upgraded since

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 10:53 PM
    Also are you saying if he was using a z30 he can get LTE? Just realized last time he went he was on a z10 but upgraded since
    If he has the STA100-5 Z30 (i.e. the one sold by ShopBB and Canadian carriers,) then yes--he has some chance of getting LTE. A couple of carriers have a band 7 network, and the Z30 -5 has band 7 in it. Italian carriers also use bands 3 and 20, but they are not present in the -5.
    08-17-15 12:14 AM
    Tnx again raino

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:36 AM