Hi all
    I'm thinking of buying a red passport off kijiji. Not cheap but a bit of savings.

I asked the seller to send me a picture of the right side of the box that has model and that imei #. We'll see if he will oblige.

Is there a way I can check to make sure it is not stolen blocked or something unfortunate like that? Would I have manufacturer warranty?

Any tips for what I should look for or do?

Thanks!
    03-21-15 05:10 PM
    Well with every used phone transaction (especially carrier-sold phones) there is risk involved, so even if you do everything you can, things could go wrong down the road. So if you're set on buying the phone, here are some precautions you can take:

-Check the phone's IMEI. Since you mention kijiji, I'm assuming you're Canadian, so you can use this database to check the IMEI: Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | Protect Your Data. Protect Yourself.

-Ask seller to bring his receipt for his purchase of this phone.

-If the seller bought the phone from a carrier, have him meet you at his carrier corporate store where they could run the IMEI# for you to confirm everything's ok with the phone/seller's account (at that moment...) If the phone was purchased on a monthly payment/tab system, this would be a good time to get the balance information and/or the phone paid off by the seller. YMMV on the store's willingness to help/participate in this transaction.

-Have him sign a basic bill of sale saying that he's selling you the phone for $X so that down the road, you have some proof should the seller commit insurance fraud/report the phone stolen. It's generally hard to get such blocks reversed, though, at least in the US--even if you have evidence.

If the phone was bought directly from BlackBerry, then you're a bit more insulated because the seller would have paid BB in full to have been sold the phone (again, ask for the original receipt.)

Warranty most likely will NOT transfer.
    sebstarr likes this.
    03-22-15 01:00 AM
    Thanks Raino! That is great advice and thanks for the link! You are always so helpful on the boards!

Apparently it is factory unlocked and he hasn't even opened the box so I'm hoping it is from BlackBerry directly.

We'll see how willing the seller is to comply with my requests.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 06:34 AM
    If it's from BB, chances are that the phone has been paid off, unless the original buyer did that deferred PayPal payment thing. So ask for him to bring you a copy of his receipt from BB, showing that the phone has been paid off. Oh...you may also want to search through the Passport forum and look for which OSes are currently installed on BNIB (red) Passports, and once you get the phone, go to Settings>About>General to make sure that the OS number looks ok, and that the serial number listed matches what's on the box. If you want to be really thorough, you can also go into Settings>About>Hardware and check those numbers against what's on the box.

The IMEI should come clean because BB doesn't do IMEI blocking, they just do PIN blocking (as far as I'm aware.) IMEIs are more for the carriers, and they wouldn't block a phone they didn't sell. They'd just kill the SIM card.
    sebstarr likes this.
    03-22-15 01:00 PM
    Thanks again Raino!
    Seller apparently travelling in US and will be back Wednesday. Apparently the unit was purchased in US as well.

Sounds like an honest guy not in a rush to sell based on communications. So hope that he sends pics of the box and will also let me open the box and examine the device.

Hopefully this story will have a happy ending!
    03-23-15 08:06 AM
    Looks like he might have sold to a friend. Oh well..hopefully BlackBerry will have an easter sale on the red passport in Canada?
    03-24-15 07:28 PM
    I don't know what your budget for the red Passport was, but if it was ~$500, you can get it from ShopBB for roughly price with the discount code q8rwg7q32.

Tax and shipping extra (if you get express,) but warranty...
    03-26-15 10:13 PM
    I don't know what your budget for the red Passport was, but if it was ~$500, you can get it from ShopBB for roughly price with the discount code q8rwg7q32.

Just checked shopBB, it is $799?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 10:50 PM
    Just checked shopBB, it is $799?
    I see it for $699 $599. When you add it to cart and go to checkout, the code should bring the price down by another $100, to $499.

Edit: this is the ShopBB US store I'm accessing. I don't know if the code applies to other storefronts.
    Last edited by raino; 03-26-15 at 11:26 PM.
    jevinzac likes this.
    03-26-15 11:09 PM

I'm getting invalid code error.
    Thinking of buying red passport off kijiji. How do I know it's legit?-img_20150327_124531.png

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:16 AM
    Thanks as always Raino!

Alas with the Canadian dollar as it is, it is not really worth getting the US version from my initial calculations. Shipping taxes and potential duties don't help.

If only BlackBerry in their wisdom would discount their Canadian store with the same promo! ?

We Canadians arguably buy way more BlackBerry but we don't get no love on the discount front

Thanks again!
    03-27-15 09:39 AM
    I'm getting invalid code error.
    Seems to have expired.

Edit: here are some more codes, don't know how long they'll stay valid: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...assic-1009675/
    Last edited by raino; 03-27-15 at 01:20 PM.
    03-27-15 12:37 PM
    Just used the $100 off code for the red passport here in Canada. Shipping is free right now as well. Unless it is always free.

Posted via Z30
    04-01-15 03:50 AM