My wife gave my 12 year old son a Z10 a little over a year ago. He has been getting into trouble lately and I would like to know if there is a way to monitor his activity remotely? I have read that it is possible on most smart phones and even looked into some of the spy software sites, but none that I have come across support Blackberry 10 OS. My wife and I have been loyal Blackberry supporters for years, but if I cannot find something that works, my son may have to get a new android as a birthday gift.

Thanks in advance for any help provided
    05-14-15 02:33 AM
    My wife gave my 12 year old son a Z10 a little over a year ago. He has been getting into trouble lately and I would like to know if there is a way to monitor his activity remotely? I have read that it is possible on most smart phones and even looked into some of the spy software sites, but none that I have come across support Blackberry 10 OS. My wife and I have been loyal Blackberry supporters for years, but if I cannot find something that works, my son may have to get a new android as a birthday gift.

I'm not aware of any readily available and effective malware that can be installed on a BB10 device for spying purposes. Every app is required to have an icon when installed, so a spy app will have to cloak itself as something benign to temporarily avoid discovery. There is currently no known (to the general public) way to root a BlackBerry device, so deep concealment is impossible.
    I'm sure as a BlackBerry user yourself you appreciate BlackBerry's focus on security and its benefits. They don't want to make something like this easily possible.

I would take the liberty of advising against going down this path anyway. Any clumsy attempt to spy will sooner or later inevitably result in discovery, followed closely by loss of trust and permanent damage to your personal relationship.
    Even if you collect this additional data, what will you do with it? Will you be shocked or surprised later if you discover that your son is then spying on you based on your own example?
    You are opening Pandora's Box.

Instead you need to take a step back and try to identify the root causes of his misbehaviour and correct it from there. This can be difficult but, since you are by no means the first parents to have to deal with problems like this, don't be ashamed to seek help from people that have been able to solve similar issues, professionally or otherwise. Not everybody is born with the skills to handle this sort of thing - better a little embarrassment now than a whole bunch and more later on.

Some people only learn through personal experience - no amount of preaching will have the desired effect. At 12 years old he can afford to make a few mistakes. Let him try stuff. If it goes wrong, let him fall - and fall hard. Then you can be there and help him pick up the pieces.

And finally, kids nowadays have too much spare time, that's a big part of the problem. Get him some chores at home (sensible ones) and try to get him involved in the wider community, through sport or otherwise.
    I am not the expert in this field, but I think that first what you want to do is illegal even if it is your own child. Secondly that's why people choose BlackBerry because of the security features it has.

Posted via CB10
    Tamashek likes this.
    05-14-15 09:56 AM

I'm not aware of any readily available and effective malware that can be installed on a BB10 device for spying purposes. Every app is required to have an icon when installed, so a spy app will have to cloak itself as something benign to temporarily avoid discovery. There is currently no known (to the general public) way to root a BlackBerry device, so deep concealment is impossible.
    I'm sure as a BlackBerry user yourself you appreciate BlackBerry's focus on security and its benefits. They don't want to make something like this easily possible.

I would take the liberty of advising against going down this path anyway. Any clumsy attempt to spy will sooner or later inevitably result in discovery, followed closely by loss of trust and permanent damage to your personal relationship.
    Even if you collect this additional data, what will you do with it? Will you be shocked or surprised later if you discover that your son is then spying on you based on your own example?
    You are opening Pandora's Box.

Instead you need to take a step back and try to identify the root causes of his misbehaviour and correct it from there. This can be difficult but, since you are by no means the first parents to have to deal with problems like this, don't be ashamed to seek help from people that have been able to solve similar issues, professionally or otherwise. Not everybody is born with the skills to handle this sort of thing - better a little embarrassment now than a whole bunch and more later on.

Some people only learn through personal experience - no amount of preaching will have the desired effect. At 12 years old he can afford to make a few mistakes. Let him try stuff. If it goes wrong, let him fall - and fall hard. Then you can be there and help him pick up the pieces.

And finally, kids nowadays have too much spare time, that's a big part of the problem. Get him some chores at home (sensible ones) and try to get him involved in the wider community, through sport or otherwise.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-14-15 10:11 AM
    He is your son and since he is a youngster and you have his best interests in mind, I don't see any issue with monitoring his usage the way you were inquiring on. But I don't think there is much in the way of BB apps to do exactly what you are looking for. There is one app you might want to check out called Golden Retriever.

Another option if tracking his activities is important, give him an Android phone instead. There are some good Android apps which are designed for this type of thing (no surprise), but most of them would require rooting the device.
    05-14-15 11:31 AM
    Something tells me we'll never hear from OP again, let alone a thanks. Anyway here's an article related to the topic that might interest.

Phone monitoring apps flourish in South Korea - The Globe and Mail
    baarn likes this.
    05-19-15 01:08 PM
    Something tells me we'll never hear from OP again, let alone a thanks. Anyway here's an article related to the topic that might interest.

Phone monitoring apps flourish in South Korea - The Globe and Mail
    OP is not a registered user, so I expect you are correct, he'll not be back.

Anyway, interesting link. I guess SK is full of voyeuristic parents and civil servants then.

"Who will watch the watchmen?"
    05-19-15 02:50 PM
    The upcoming update of the app "Usage Pro" has a parental controls section where you can optionally monitor your child's use of the phone. Details on calls and sms are uploaded to your nominated dropbox account.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    05-24-15 08:56 AM
    Many carriers offer parental controls that report and block websites, list texts sent and received, etc. I have several friends with Verizon and they get a report each month.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/parentalcontrol/

Of course kids are smart and will probably figure out ways around the controls.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 09:14 AM
    Check this out:

Is there a way to remotely monitor a Z10?-parental_controls.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    05-24-15 10:30 AM
    The latest update was just approved by BlackBerry. Remote monitoring is now available as an optional feature in our app "Usage Pro".

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 06:13 PM

hi everyone! I am also very interested in the problem of internet safety. My daughter is not computer addicted but I feel more safe to know what sites she visits and how much time she spends online. I use refog.com to monitor her activities, but there are a lot of other variants of such programs in the Internet.
    06-16-15 03:57 PM