I just don't understand why it's so hard to properly switch off a Bold 9900.

I can only make it go to sleep. How do I turn it off properly?

And is there an app for that?
    12-07-16 02:28 PM
    Take out the battery. No app needed.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    12-07-16 02:46 PM
    No. As it seems you've discovered, you can put the device in a kind of sleep mode by holding the call end button, but as far as I know, the only way to turn it off completely is to pull the battery.

I'd be both surprised and happy to be proven wrong about that though.
    12-07-16 02:50 PM
    There is a power off button on the screen which simply turns it off. It's a silver round button with a red circle in it and it's called 'Power Off.'
    12-08-16 01:07 AM
    There is a power off button on the screen which simply turns it off. It's a silver round button with a red circle in it and it's called 'Power Off.'
    That's not turning off the phone, it does the same thing than the end-call button which is some kind of sleep mode

Posted via Passport SE
    12-08-16 01:55 AM
    That's not turning off the phone, it does the same thing than the end-call button which is some kind of sleep mode

Posted via Passport SE
    When you press it - do you not get a pop up that states :
    " Turning device off - press any button to abort " ?
    12-08-16 02:31 AM
    When you press it - do you not get a pop up that states :
    " Turning device off - press any button to abort " ?
    Yep, but it's not a full turn off, it's kind of an sleep mode, that's why when you turn it on again it only takes a couple of seconds. When you actually turn off the phone, it will take a while to turn on, you will see the typical blackberry bar being filled to turn on

Posted via Passport SE
    12-08-16 03:32 AM
    Yep, but it's not a full turn off, it's kind of an sleep mode, that's why when you turn it on again it only takes a couple of seconds. When you actually turn off the phone, it will take a while to turn on, you will see the typical blackberry bar being filled to turn on

Posted via Passport SE
    I have 2 Bolds and they turn off completely.
    Which means when I start them up again they go through the complete booting up cycle.
    12-08-16 05:55 AM

Posted via Passport SE
    I would guess your phone , has the "power off" feature disabled. Setup for a company or organization to have it's devices accessible at all times.

Do you have the option "Auto On / Off " available ?
    ( options / device / auto on- off )
    If so, try shutting down this way.
    12-08-16 06:32 AM
    I've done a little reading. On OS 7, we should have a "full power off" feature:

Powering down your BlackBerry - Turn Off vs. Full Power Off | CrackBerry.com

But there are reports on the BlackBerry Support Forums that some people can't get the full power off feature to appear no matter what they do.

Edit: so, if you turn on an alarm, or set up the auto on/off feature, you get the Full Power Off option. Yet it still does not shut the OS down completely. When powered up again, the phone resumes rather than rebooting. Someone on the BlackBerry Support Forums said that in the Full Power Off mode, there is no battery usage though, so that would be worth testing. If true, it's just as good as a complete OS shutdown to me.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 12-08-16 at 08:32 AM.
    12-08-16 08:17 AM

Posted via Passport SE
    I found that my 9900 started up from being OFF the quickest of any BlackBerry device I had in the past and since that great device. That may be where you are thinking that it isn't 'really' off, but it is in my opinion and experience.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    12-08-16 08:42 AM