I've been an Apple guy for the past 15 years. Currently I have an iMac and iPad, but no cell phone. Yes, you read that right - I'm probably the last person on earth to not have a cell phone. I carry my 3G iPad around with me for emails and texting, but it's just not cutting it.

For some reason, the new Blackberry Passport really appeals to me. I love that it's different, I love that it's square. But I need some convincing about why I would choose a Blackberry for a phone over an iPhone. Here's the scoop:

I run a small publishing business. Much of my correspondence with customers is through email, but there are times when a phone call is necessary here and there. I work from home, but it would be nice to be able to make/take calls when I'm on the road.

How does BB's email system compare to Apple's Mail? Can I set up multiple email boxes on the BB that will all come and sync to the phone and iMac as well? I don't want to assume anything.

I guess what I'm asking is - do you think Blackberry is here to stay? I'd like to think the company and their products are on an upswing... and I want to take my business to the next level. I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions on the Passport.

Thanks!
    12-27-14 01:53 PM
    Take a look at this video about the blackberry hub:

http://demos.blackberry.com/blackber...kBerry-Hub.3gp

It may answer your questions. Personally, I think the hub is the best feature and is what makes BB10 stand out from other phones.
    12-27-14 01:57 PM
    I've been an Apple guy for the past 15 years. Currently I have an iMac and iPad, but no cell phone. Yes, you read that right - I'm probably the last person on earth to not have a cell phone. I carry my 3G iPad around with me for emails and texting, but it's just not cutting it.

For some reason, the new Blackberry Passport really appeals to me. I love that it's different, I love that it's square. But I need some convincing about why I would choose a Blackberry for a phone over an iPhone. Here's the scoop:

I run a small publishing business. Much of my correspondence with customers is through email, but there are times when a phone call is necessary here and there. I work from home, but it would be nice to be able to make/take calls when I'm on the road.

How does BB's email system compare to Apple's Mail? Can I set up multiple email boxes on the BB that will all come and sync to the phone and iMac as well? I don't want to assume anything.

I guess what I'm asking is - do you think Blackberry is here to stay? I'd like to think the company and their products are on an upswing... and I want to take my business to the next level. I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions on the Passport.

Thanks!
    I am not sure why you need people to convince you. The choice of a mobile device. You have 15 years invested in the Apple ecosystem, and it is doubtful from the tone of your post that you will be changing.

My suggestion is that you do your independent research, then buy on the basis of what meets your needs. Anything else from either side is only someone else's opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Ducca683 likes this.
    12-27-14 03:01 PM
    I say good on you for thinking outside for the apple box.

I use and love my macbook, and to a lesser extent, my iPad air, but dayum will you have a hard time convincing me to trade in my passport for an iPhone.

You might be interested in learning about the free BlackBerry Blend software that works with Passport and others. It ties the Passport to my Macbook and all my emails, texts, pics, bbm's and BlackBerry files are easily available on my iDevice. Fantastico!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 03:08 PM
    I use MBP and an iPad. And I'm a BlackBerry Passport user too! If you need to answer your mail from the iMac or the iPad, you can just use the BlackBerry Blend. But I think, your Passport would be able to handle all of your business issues. I truly believe so. I use iPad for apps, but everything else I use Passport. If I need to use the bigger screen, use the MBP. So no worries for you!
    12-27-14 03:17 PM
    If you need a device to communicate with that works for email, text and as a phone I would get the Q10. Best smartphone I've ever had. I now have the Passport for the screen real estate and that is really the only reason.

I am deaf so need an app that allows me to read what the other person is saying through a relay service . I had to use my iPad mini have a screen big enough for the app. Complex set up: dial the relay service via wi-fi, then answer my phone, then read what came up on the screen on the iPad. Passport allows me to do this all on one device and not be tied to a wi-network.

Everyone I used the Q10 to call said I came in crystal clear. It is a bit more portable than the Passport. Also, unlocked Q10s are about a third of the Passport's price. It is a great phone for getting the job done.

One caveat, if you rely on iOS calendar you will have syncing issues unless you rout it through a Gmail address. That is what I had to do (but I'm a techno-moron so there maybe another way).

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:30 PM
    Why should you get a BlackBerry Passport? Well a normal person gets the phone they want. What other reason do you need?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:40 PM
    For some reason, the new Blackberry Passport really appeals to me... ...But I need some convincing about why I would choose a Blackberry for a phone over an iPhone...

I run a small publishing business. Much of my correspondence with customers is through email...
    If you are going to be using this phone for your business, and your primary form of communication is email, a BlackBerry is about as good as it gets. An iPhone can handle business and email just fine. But BlackBerry built their reputation around email and security.

How do you feel about typing on your iPad, versus the physical keyboard of your iMac? If you really like the virtual keyboard of the iPad, then you might have a rough experience with the BlackBerry physical keyboard. It takes time to adjust to. If you prefer physical keyboards, then a BlackBerry will be great.

My advice: get the BlackBerry. If it doesn't fit your needs, sell it.

Why do people post such dumb questions?

If you can't figure it out, then don't get one.

Posted via CB10
    What a helpful and constructive post. Way to represent the BlackBerry community in such a positive light.
    12-27-14 06:10 PM
    Why don't ya search this forum...U should get about 300 topics on this!
    12-27-14 06:20 PM
    And @ xXXXMELLORXXXx

Thanks for being such fantastic ambassadors! You added so wonderfully little to this discussion!

Posted via CB10
    I was trying to be nice about it... other reason you need for a phone is that you want to get it. I wasn't being an *** about it, I was just saying. But that other guy, that was too far. I bought a BlackBerry Q10 but it has a keyboard and I like the look of a BlackBerry. So I wanted one

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:23 PM