I have decided that it is time to give up my z30, unfortunately. So, I'm thinking to get an unlocked AT&T Priv from amazon. I would like to know if it's possible to wipe and reload a clean OS (marshmallow) and keep getting all the last updates like if it were factory unlocked and also to get rid of everything that is AT&T, like their default app, etc. and perhaps have something like if I had bought a factory one.

I don't use AT&T, I only want their priv because is cheap.
    07-12-16 05:40 PM
    With an AT&T Priv, you are dependent on AT&T for OTA updates, and they haven't released Marshmallow yet. For manual installation after wiping, you're going to need an AT&T Priv-specific autoloader, and such a one for Marshmallow doesn't exist.

Basically, by buying a cheap AT&T Priv, you sacrifice update availability for price.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 12:51 AM
    I have decided that it is time to give up my z30, unfortunately. So, I'm thinking to get an unlocked AT&T Priv from amazon. I would like to know if it's possible to wipe and reload a clean OS (marshmallow) and keep getting all the last updates like if it were factory unlocked and also to get rid of everything that is AT&T, like their default app, etc. and perhaps have something like if I had bought a factory one.

I don't use AT&T, I only want their priv because is cheap.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless: 1) AT&T is your carrier (which as you mentioned, is not); 2) You're in the U.S. and can easily acquire an AT&T SIM to get the updates (there's no official MM yet though for AT&T PRIVs, locked or unlocked); 3) Money is an issue; and/or 4) You don't mind not having the latest updates released by BlackBerry and for the moment, have your PRIV stuck on Lollipop.

I had one, but ended up selling it partly due to the updating issue. I found it wasn't completely to my liking with Lollipop and just got fed up of not having a way to get MM (neither OTA nor autoloader).

As mentioned, only specific AT&T autoloaders will work on such device. Therefore, unless you're willing to deal with said carrier's updating cycle and/or money is an issue, I would definitely rule it out. If you're somewhere ShopBlackBerry ships to, get the factory unlocked version from them, even if it's more expensive it's worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 01:19 AM
    The $299 Priv's are history, Amazon is at just over $400, and Shop BB is back up to $649.

To answer your question - I wouldn't, and didn't, and I am on AT&T.

If you want to gamble that BB will figure out a way to update these devices, buy now. The minute an update 'fix' is announced, the 3rd party AT&T devices will jump back to $600+, (or what ever average retail is at that time)

I suspect that when and if BB comes up with a 'fix', it will require an autoloader for all updates, which means wiping your phone every time you update. With monthly updates, and no easy way to backup and restore, that would be a major monthly PIA.
    The update scenario is just a guess on my part, but since BB has to figure out a way to NOT update any devices sold by AT&T, I think it's a reasonable guess.
    07-13-16 08:09 AM
    I got one. I am on AT&T.

Marshmallow is almost here since it is already is public beta.

I see no downside. I also have a PP so my BB10 monkey stays fed.

I thought I saw a news story when I opened CB about another 299 deal in effect right now.

I love the phone. Marshmallow will make it even better. I have no expectations of getting android N on it and don't care.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 08:27 AM
    Previous poster, CharlieV is correct.

New Unlocked BlackBerry PRIV (AT&T Branded) GSM Slider Android Smartph ? Daily Steals

It ain't gonna last, so if your'e gonna do it, do it now.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 08:46 AM
    That's the one.

At 299 it really is an awesome deal.

Honestly, coming from a Passport, it seems a very nice and useful phone. If you've been on BlackBerry phones for a long time as I have you really don't care that the Priv has year old specs. Many year old spec phones are still being sold for far more.

pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 08:59 AM
    Have to confess, if I were buying now, I would have to seriously the 299 AT&T.
    But def not the 400.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-16 09:30 AM
    And right after I posted, my Priv got Marshmallow.

Nice.
    pkcable and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-13-16 09:44 AM
    Totally up to you! There are pluses and minuses to both arguments!
    07-13-16 09:52 AM
    And right after I posted, my Priv got Marshmallow.

Nice.
    Seen a couple of people saying that AT&T has pushed out Marshmallow....

If that is the case, and they weren't Beta testers.... I'd say buying an AT&T PRIV is a pretty good move at this point. Especially at $299 Grab the BlackBerry Priv for just $299 at DailySteals | CrackBerry.com
    07-13-16 09:57 AM
    If AT&T is in fact releasing MM, I take back one or two bad comments I've made about them. For now.
    They are on probation.
    raino likes this.
    07-13-16 10:12 AM
    The $299 Priv's are history, Amazon is at just over $400, and Shop BB is back up to $649.

The minute an update 'fix' is announced, the 3rd party AT&T devices will jump back to $600+, (or what ever average retail is at that time)
    I doubt AT&T dumped these to third party sellers because of an update issue--IMO it was more in order to get rid of inventory that wasn't moving. Plus a lot of those Amazon sellers didn't even know the difference between an AT&T and a factory unlocked Priv. Now they could have been feigning ignorance, but then they would just have opened themselves up to the headache that is returns.
    07-13-16 11:03 AM
    I can confirm that the eBay 299 (att unlocked) one upgrades to MM on att. Mine did this morning. Much zippier and no heat issue. 6.01.

07-13-16 12:20 PM
    I doubt AT&T dumped these to third party sellers because of an update issue--IMO it was more in order to get rid of inventory that wasn't moving. Plus a lot of those Amazon sellers didn't even know the difference between an AT&T and a factory unlocked Priv. Now they could have been feigning ignorance, but then they would just have opened themselves up to the headache that is returns.
    Didn't mean to leave the impression that updates had anything to do with the orphaned AT&T phones.
    I have no idea why they were 'dumped' or who even did it, I suspect it was AT&T authorized retailers, but thats pure guess.

I'd bet money though, that now MM is available, and an autoloader came out same day, the price will go up on them.

Get them while you can.
    07-13-16 12:49 PM
    I was thinking the same. My Note 4 still has 5.1.1 because AT&T sucks that much. The fact that the Priv got MM before the Note 4 is extraordinary.

The fact that the update completely cured the heating issue is... something more than extraordinary. All of my BlackBerry apps also updated and are running very fast and smooth.

I've had this phone a few days and have zero regrets except that I haven't snagged another one at 299. I bet the price does go up. 299 is ridiculously low for what you get.

07-13-16 06:53 PM
    I used to think Verizon was the worst for updates but I think it's actually AT&T. Certainly they are butt buddies in it!
    07-14-16 09:16 AM
    I think that's true but the perfect storm is Samsung, which is notoriously slow, and the major carriers. When I buy Samsung phones, I just assume they will reach end of life with the initial operating system. That keeps me from being disappointed until I read about new features and battery savings in new versions.

Att really does hold updates to make you want a new phone. No doubt.

That's why I find the Priv update so amazing.

07-14-16 09:39 AM
    I used to think Verizon was the worst for updates but I think it's actually AT&T. Certainly they are butt buddies in it!
    Oh, Verizon's worse. Remember when the Nexus program dumped them before, I guess, realizing they needed them?
    pkcable likes this.
    07-14-16 03:26 PM
    Besides... Verizon Priv owners are still wondering where MM is.

I will say I've gotten two MM update since I bought my Droid Turbo 2... which is kinda a Verizon branded phone. So they do what they want.
    07-14-16 04:00 PM
    FWIW there isn't s HUGE change with MM. My HD voice started working but everything else is about the same.

07-14-16 08:20 PM
    Can we agree that both AT&T AND Verizon are pretty bad! lol
    07-15-16 10:16 AM
    They suck.

pkcable likes this.
    07-15-16 05:49 PM
    FWIW there isn't s HUGE change with MM. My HD voice started working but everything else is about the same.

Oh, there's differences, have you tried connecting to a computer yet?
    I assume you have an SD card, what choice did you make there?
    07-15-16 05:58 PM