The answer might be quite obvious but I would appreciate some confirmation/explanation regarding snap. From my understanding it is something like a bridge to the google play store so whether you download apps via snap or directly from the google play store you are getting the exact same app. Now whether that app is "safe" or not depends on the app itself, or is there any way to manipulate those apps through snap and alter them? I wanted to get some banking app via snap and wasn't sure if that's a good idea. Thanks for any clarification.
    12-09-14 02:38 AM
    In theory Snap could be malicious and start the installation for another .apk file. If that was the case, I would have expected this to have made headlines already.

The app has been around for a looong time and the developer seems like a really cool guy, so I trust him and Snap.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-09-14 05:44 AM
    The answer might be quite obvious but I would appreciate some confirmation/explanation regarding snap. From my understanding it is something like a bridge to the google play store so whether you download apps via snap or directly from the google play store you are getting the exact same app. Now whether that app is "safe" or not depends on the app itself, or is there any way to manipulate those apps through snap and alter them? I wanted to get some banking app via snap and wasn't sure if that's a good idea. Thanks for any clarification.
    Sanp is Google Play Store. Snap get all apps from Google Play Store. Directly. No third party is involved.

so if someone uploaded malicious app to google play - then - yes.
    but AFAIK - banking apps are ok in google play?
    12-09-14 05:54 AM
    Sanp is Google Play Store. Snap get all apps from Google Play Store. Directly. No third party is involved.

Let's put on the tinfoil hat for a moment. What you write is what Snap *clains* to do and so far we have not seen anything indicating otherwise.

From a security point of view Snap is a man-in-the-middle. If the developer was evil he could trigger the installation of malicious software on the device. It would however be the user who had to press OK to install the app. This functionality could be present and activated after a specific date.

Tinfoil hat off.. back to reality ;+)

But it is definitely a valid security concern.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 09:08 AM
    If you are considering Snap, it means you have a Google (Play) account, which means you likely have an Android device. So you can download the apps from Google Play onto your Android device, extract the apk, transfer to your BB10 phone, and install. You would be sacrificing ease/convenience, but this should allay fears about Snap's security.
    12-09-14 09:10 AM

You have to use common sense with banking apps on Play. Almost every day there are fake banking apps uploaded there. At our bank, we have a full time team working with Google and customers just on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    tempdownloads likes this.
    12-09-14 09:18 AM
    Unsure why this would be an issue... unless snap itself is malware as it is an actual BB10 software.... the apk are downloaded, installed and run in a container rather than the the actual OS.,.. so even if you did download malware... odds are it would have little effect on BB10..... there are a number of virus/malware scanners available it you want to be safe.... not to say you could not get malware off Google Play... but less likely than if you go to a third party site.... had there been an issue with snap you will be sure we would have heard about it... after all it is not as if the developer is unknown to the community.... a big plus to users.....
    12-09-14 09:21 AM
    Unsure why this would be an issue... unless snap itself is malware as it is an actual BB10 software.... the apk are downloaded, installed and run in a container rather than the the actual OS.,.. so even if you did download malware... odds are it would have little effect on BB10..... there are a number of virus/malware scanners available it you want to be safe.... not to say you could not get malware off Google Play... but less likely than if you go to a third party site.... had there been an issue with snap you will be sure we would have heard about it... after all it is not as if the developer is unknown to the community.... a big plus to users.....
    Sorry but NO - For Apps to work, they need access outside of the "container". You need to look at every Android App you have installed and see what they have access too, that you have no control over (without other 3rd party Android Apps). And apps can harvest data and send it to the developer, without showing up to malware scanners that are looking for a known app.

But I agree the Developer is "known" and no one has reported any issues, SNAP should be reality safe. But if I were an IT professional, doubt I'd approve it's usages for users. Of course there would be no need as any apps would have to be installed through the work account anyways.
    12-15-14 03:21 PM
    Sorry but NO - For Apps to work, they need access outside of the "container". You need to look at every Android App you have installed and see what they have access too, that you have no control over (without other 3rd party Android Apps). And apps can harvest data and send it to the developer, without showing up to malware scanners that are looking for a known app.

But I agree the Developer is "known" and no one has reported any issues, SNAP should be reality safe. But if I were an IT professional, doubt I'd approve it's usages for users. Of course there would be no need as any apps would have to be installed through the work account anyways.
    Actually it makes good sense with BlackBerry Balance: Android apps running ind the personal space without access to corporate data.

BlackBerry 10 apps in the work space installed by the admin...

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 11:08 AM
    Here's a thought: if your bank has an app, it most likely will have a link to the app in Google Play from the bank's website. Follow it, note the author, open Snap and find the same app - if the author matches, that's the app.

Snap is just a front end for the Google Play Store, nothing nefarious going on behind the scenes.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 11:38 AM