I have no internet at the cottage but I would like to set up wifi just for file sharing.
    Can I set up my two Z10s for sms without using wifi and not my data ?
    08-26-16 08:38 AM
    I have no internet at the cottage but I would like to set up wifi just for file sharing.
    Can I set up my two Z10s for sms without using wifi and not my data ?
    I find your question a little confusing but, here goes nothing.

So you don't want to use wifi which is not connected to the world via internet anyway.
    You also do no want to use your wireless providers data capability.

You might not know this but, GSM calls and SMS messages use the their network but, not the data part.

The exception to that is WiFi calling but, that won't be a problem because your WiFi is not connected to the internet.

Did I understand your intent?
    08-26-16 08:50 AM
    Yes, very confusing - normally wifi is connected to the Internet - it's just adding a wireless component to your internet access.
    08-26-16 08:55 AM
    I want to hook up wifi at the cottage for file sharing . I have no internet out there ! I wanted to know if sms could be used over wifi with no internet? I don't want to use my mobile data .
    08-26-16 09:33 AM
    I want to hook up wifi at the cottage for file sharing . I have no internet out there ! I wanted to know if sms could be used over wifi with no internet? I don't want to use my mobile data .
    You can't do sms with the world over WiFi because you are not connected to the rest of the world via the internet.
    You could pay me to set up your own little telephony service at the cottage.
    08-26-16 09:52 AM
    You could do peer to peer instant messaging between the z10s. Is that what you want?
    08-26-16 10:16 AM
    You can't do SMS over Wi-Fi at all.

SMS is strictly a cellular component that runs through your carrier, and you can't change that.

You can have a Wi-Fi setup within your home network without being hooked up to an Internet connection. That basically makes it a closed LAN (local area network). Basically what big companies used to do to share work before the world wide web was born.

Best to have one computer wired into the wireless router to set it up, but all other computers, phones, tablets, whatever can connect to it. They obviously just won't get to the internet.

Some devices with built-in Wi-Fi have it for the sole purpose of eventually connecting to the Internet - "smart" TVs and hand held gaming devices, for example. But any device with internal memory that can be shared as a networked drive when seen on a network should work as such, even in a closed LAN.

You can actually stream a video or pictures on the Z10 to a network connected TV if the phone is set to share media over the network. I've done it showing video shot on the phone sent to a connected TV. Also did it going through a connected Blu-ray player to a regular TV that didn't have its own Wi-Fi.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 11:03 AM