Hey everyone,

So this whole ordeal started once I realized that the amazing BBM can't actually do cross-platform video calls. I had just bought a SE passport and was looking forward to video calling with the much better camera than my old z10. I wanted to get skype as that had worked on my z10 but I could not find it on BlackBerry world so I decided to get Google playstore through the cobalt method (playstoreblackberry). I followed all the instructions, downloaded skype, and when I was just about to finally video call someone for the first time on my passport, skype would NOT call! It was constantly "connecting" but not ringing. Really upset, I deleted the app (or so I thought), deleted the cobalt apps and then deleted the .apk files from file manager.

I went on Skype's website trying to find solutions. There they say that skype can be downloaded for bb10 but through the amazon app store. When I tried to download skype through Amazon, I would get a message that skype had already been installed on my phone but not through Amazon. But but but I thought I had just uninstalled it?!?! I do another quick Google search only to discover that this is a known issue and I follow the suggestion of a few saying to download Blackberry Runtime for android (but not to open it). I did just that but the skype apk file was still there in my file manager, even after I had deleted it over 5 times. So now I have no idea what to do. I think these are my options, but I'd love to hear from you guys:

1- reinstall Google account settings from cobalt and try to uninstall skype through there now that runtime is installed. Hopefully I can then successfully remove skype and reinstall it through Amazon. I don't know if that will fix my ultimate problem of skype not working (for in the amazon store it says "Skype android version" and I'm afraid it's the same one as the one I downloaded from the Google playstore.

2- download an older version of skype from here http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/26382880 even though I evidently already have a version of skype installed.

3- since my phone is practically new I can easily back up everything to my SD card and just reformat the phone. Then I either install skype again this time through Amazon or ditch skype and go for another app like Wechat.

What do you guys think I should do? ! I'm loving this phone but I really want to video call! Is that so much to ask for?!

For reference, I have the 10.3.2.2836 software version.

Thanks,

Charles

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 04:08 PM
    Or use Ghost Commander from BBW to properly delete the app.

Don't forget to reboot after updating the Runtime if you haven't already.

DTEK60 / Z30
    joeragan and rthonpm like this.
    12-14-16 04:52 PM
    Would ghost commander delete the annoying cache skype.apk file? And if it does, would you reinstall skype or get another app?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 05:05 PM
    Is there any passport SE owner can use Skype now? I need Skype at my SE for the job. Please help.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-16 12:32 PM
    The only Skype app that I have gotten to complete calls out is the one in BlackBerry World that was linked in the first post.

Even the version in the Amazon appstore, that BlackBerry official diverted users to some time ago, will not connect calls.

Forget about the play store version as well it seems..

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 12:27 AM