Do the cloud apps consume device memory? I know this sounds silly and the question really is silly but I have added a box account that has lots of music in it snf and suddenly my device's memory is down by the size of the data in my Box account... This has never happened on any of my other Non BlackBerry devices

Posted Via CB 10...On my Z10 STL100-3.
    07-12-14 03:38 PM
    They do but that probably isn't the reason your memory is down the drain.

Double check your sync settings in the box app, after it's all set properly, set the device to airplane mode and reboot (hold the top buttom till you see the BB loading screen - ignore all screen prompts).

Get out of air plane mode and then see how things are going.

Additionally, Device manager can tell you which apps are memory eaters.
    07-12-14 04:52 PM
    Do you have any of the files pinned?
    That usually increases storage use

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 07:16 PM
    I had this issue before. When you move files to your Box account in File Manager, it doesn't upload them to the cloud automatically. You have to go into the app and syncronise your files. Swipe down from the top and select "syncronise now".

You can also allow Box to automatically syncronise pictures and videos by enabling these options in the app. Although I would advice you to manually syncronise your files frequently, because the automatic sync doesn't always do the trick.

If the above doesn't work, which shouldn't happen, you can try this.
    - log out of Box on your device
    - upload the files you need in Box from your desktop
    The double device storage will definitely be gone. Until you start moving files to your Box account from your device again that is. But, you shouldn't have to resort to this awful workaround. Just make sure you syncronise the files from the app.
    07-12-14 07:49 PM
    I reread your OP and now it seems the files were already in the account when you added Box to your device. Is this correct or did you move the files to Box from the device? If so, check my above post.

If they were in the account already, uploaded from a desktop, then swipe down from the top (in the app) and select Syncronise Now. After synchronisation, Log Out and Log In again. It should resolve the problem.
    07-12-14 07:55 PM
    I moved some files from my memory card to the device.

I tried signing out of all cloud apps. This made my device storage up. But I paused sync on all the apps with the fear that these may eat up my device's storage.

So as I understand, If I move any files from the device or memory card to the cloud, that will cause my device's storage go low. Isn't that weird??

Thank you all.

07-13-14 07:22 AM
    When you move them from your SD to your account it will eat your device storage, because in fact, they are moved to the account on the device. You will see the free storage space on your SD go up and the free storage space on the device go down. Then, when you synchronise the files from the dedicated app, the files will be moved to the cloud. That's when you'll see the free storage space on your device go up. It's not weird at all.

The thing that confuses you, I guess, is the fact that even before synchronisation, you'll see the free storage space of your account go down along with the device storage space. You'd say the files are already in the account. This is not the case. You'll have to synchronise the files from the dedicated app. Only then are the files moved to the cloud and off the device. I understand your confusion, but it's just a case of moving the files to the cloud.

Does it make a little more sense now?
    07-13-14 10:28 AM
    So as I understand, If I move any files from the device or memory card to the cloud, that will cause my device's storage go low. Isn't that weird??

To answer this specific question. If you move (not copy) the files from your device to the account, the free storage space doesn't go down, because the only thing you really did was move the files from one folder on your device to another folder on your device.

If you copy the files from your device to your account, you essentially have two entries of the same files on your device. When you synchronise the files from the dedicated app, those files will no longer be on your device in the account folder but in the cloud, yet accessible from the account folder.

If you move or copy the files from your SD to the account, it will eat your device storage, because you've moved them from the SD to a folder on your device. Until you synchronise the files, they will essentially be on your device.
    spkr2185 likes this.
    07-13-14 10:33 AM
    To answer this specific question. If you move (not copy) the files from your device to the account, the free storage space doesn't go down, because the only thing you really did was move the files from one folder on your device to another folder on your device.

If you copy the files from your device to your account, you essentially have two entries of the same files on your device. When you synchronise the files from the dedicated app, those files will no longer be on your device in the account folder but in the cloud, yet accessible from the account folder.

If you move or copy the files from your SD to the account, it will eat your device storage, because you've moved them from the SD to a folder on your device. Until you synchronise the files, they will essentially be on your device.
    I think that sums it up very well.. Thank you so much..

07-13-14 11:34 AM
    You're welcome.
    07-13-14 12:49 PM