03-16-15 07:49 AM
37 12
tools
    Hi guys, I am currently an iPhone user and have ran into a problem. My phone is broken and my warranty is up. I have always wanted to try a Blackberry but never had the chance and I believe now is the time. However, I have a few questions before I switch.

First and for most; what makes blackberry better than the rest (in your opinion)? Second, do you believe that it would be better for me to just pay the price to get it (my iPhone) repaired or switch to a used or refurbished blackberry of lesser or equal value? Third, do older versions of blackberry run half decent today (like a bold 9930 or something)? And lastly, how is the hardware, in terms of resistance to breakage (I would imagine it would change for each phone, but generally speaking)?

Also note, I and not a huge app user, thus, the limited amount of apps will not effect me very much.
    03-11-15 12:17 PM
    Well honestly i have used all the platforms and BB is the best messaging tool out there, if your a power user i would go with the passport or the z30 they are great,
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    03-11-15 12:20 PM
    1. I won't be all fan boy, hardware wise there is nothing better than others, the LED light is nice though; I think most of us are attracted to the software, the newer BB10 OS is very professional (some may disagree with 10.3), it does the job and doesn't have loads of annoying gimmicks like some others.

2. Personally, I'd go for a refurbished one, just in case you don't like it, spending stupid money on a phone then not liking it will give you one hell of a headache

3.The older devices are that good runners, they are known to be pretty unstable at times, BBOS wise that is, BB10 is much better.

4. Can't really comment, all I can say is my Z10 is a year old and after many drops in its cheapo case it's still working perfectly.

You mention Apps, before someone gives you a tell off BB10 supports Android Apps (Stops at Google Play services) and 10.3 OS and higher come with Amazon Store Built in.
    03-11-15 12:24 PM
    I guess you will love passport, it is all together different world.
    03-11-15 12:26 PM
    Yes.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    03-11-15 12:32 PM
    I did some looking around and I believe if I go with the repair it'll be around $80. It could be more, but I'm not sure. So, I guess now the question is whether or not I should pay a little extra to get something like the Z10, Q10, or a 9930. I believe the Q10 is the most expensive reburbished but I would like to have the keyboard.
    03-11-15 12:41 PM
    Z30 is the best if you can find it at a low price.

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian likes this.
    03-11-15 12:44 PM
    Hi guys, I am currently an iPhone user and have ran into a problem. My phone is broken and my warranty is up. I have always wanted to try a Blackberry but never had the chance and I believe now is the time. However, I have a few questions before I switch.

First and for most; what makes blackberry better than the rest (in your opinion)? Second, do you believe that it would be better for me to just pay the price to get it (my iPhone) repaired or switch to a used or refurbished blackberry of lesser or equal value? Third, do older versions of blackberry run half decent today (like a bold 9930 or something)? And lastly, how is the hardware, in terms of resistance to breakage (I would imagine it would change for each phone, but generally speaking)?

Also note, I and not a huge app user, thus, the limited amount of apps will not effect me very much.
    if you do not want to read the huuuge post I resume here:

Efficiency in communication is the number one reason for me for choosing a BlackBerry. Options for customization (shortcuts, toast notifications, different notification profiles, advanced interaction features in 10.3, input of text, storage space and related cost, standard micro USB charger, bb10 UI and flow, battery life (in certain set ups and conditions), are just a few of the reasons/ main features that make me choose BlackBerry.

If you have the patience (sorry I will write this up flaming and will not look back to correct, it will be long and maybe gibberish at some point...) here is a more in depth "spill out":

some of the features I love: the hub! It is a bliss to work with. you have everything in the hub, from email accounts, SM (linkedin, twitter & fb is what I use), IM (whatsapp + bbm), sms, notifications, calls... it is all in there. You can assign some to your priority hub (so to speak you isolate the important stuff to separate access and manage things better). The hub also gives you account per account view + universal (all comms together) and you also get to colour accounts (you get a little perpendicular line on the edge of each entry which colourcodes what inbox the item comes from.

you can also filter by pinching (same gesture you do for zoom in and out in pics kind of). You can set that to filter messages (for instance show only unread). These are just some of the many features the hub has and for me it is a great power tool in handling comms.

I will not even enter on email composition feature, I for one (and email is huge for me with 100-200 emails a day for work... ) think there is no better OS when it comes to email handling.

Another thing I really like is accessibility: you can assign keyboard shortcuts for pretty much everything now (from launching an app, to quick calling, to composing a message or email etc). This makes things work really fast and uninterrupted.

Even if you have an all touch model you can start typing in (i.e compose tweet) and you ll be finding yourself performing that action in no time.

the OS imo is pretty solid and has really good flow with the gestures (which I think once you play around with it a couple of days, will feel totally natural to you).

another thing in comparison to the iphone is storage. you get to use a micro sd card. for me this is also huge deal and the ratio of $/gb is certainly better on a BlackBerry, plus you can have a couple of micro sd cards ans swap if you want unlimited space...

Keyboard:
    If you get a full touch (if so I would suggest you looked at the Z30) I think you will find that the vkb on BlackBerry is extremely good. Prior to getting the Z10 I had tried and never could use a full touch phone as productively as I could the BlackBerry phkb phones (then again I write A LOT, especially emails). You have the flick words as well and it really is cool as the phone learns your ways of expression little by little and the proposed words become more and more tailored and adapted to your style.

If we are talking physical keyboard, then if this is what you like, you know it, none does this better that BlackBerry on mobile. I now use the passport and the touch sensitive keyboard is Just AMAZING!

You coming from an iphone, I think you will really appreciate the battery (especially if you go for the passport or the classic). the Z30 in the full touch is your alternative, as Z10 and battery is not the best option BlackBerry has to offer, but I think compared to the iphone it is still decent.

Sound quality: I really think that Z30, Q10, Z10 and classic have better sound than iphone. The passport is a category of its own in that respect, in this I am absolute, that phone is superb in sound, both ouput and input (both speakers and loud speaker).

Hardware quality: I would say it is good enough to really good. For my Q10 and Z10, personally I think are great (Q10 better)I have dropped both on several occasions from 1-1.3meters and only got the usual little scratch here and ther, they pulled through just fine, and I normally do not use a case when at home/ where accidents happen mostly for me.
    The passport is Really a nice phone to hold, good quality but due to the size, I would not want to see it fall on the floor. There has been some complaining about incident with the screen de touching from passports; mine is all cool. some people say it has to do with applying torgue force on it and I believe this is the case (twisting the phone). I am more careful with the passport but not going crazy over it breaking either. Built quality is very good and the feel of the phone superb for my criteria. BlackBerrys are solid in my experience up to now.

DO NOT go to a pre bb10 OS device if you want my opinion. it does not worth it. you miss the plus of bb10 and at the same time you will have to compromise quite enough from your iphone to OS7 BlackBerry for instance. they still are good communication platforms but are not a choice I would recommend.

The bad for the end: apps; you say you are not a big apps person. I suggest you look into the indispensable apps if you have any and check on bb10. The BlackBerry 10 phones have restricted ecosystem but major things (most at least, are there). I would check in any case. Regarding android: if you are a techie, you should not have a problem. You can even install google play (relative threads in the forums) - you have a couple of ways of doing that: either via snap or by loading the files directly on your phone (I d have to look for the thread) via a work around. The issue there is that googleplay services need an extra layer of you techie-magic to work and thus the connected apps may give you a bit of trouble. Android apps UI is not as nice on bb10, compared with native apps.

I do not know what range of money you are talking about here/ you are willing to spend. but let me tell you, the passport in specific is Crazzzyyyy! I absolutely love that phone for many a reason and it is another story going for the passport or another bb10 device, as the passport experience is bb10 enhanced imo. Check in the forums in relation.

As a last remark, if you are a huge media consumer on your phone digg deeper. Z30 might be your guy.

The decision is definitely depending on your user profile. There are threads about every thing BlackBerry in CB forums, so I propose you identify your key point issues and decision factors and spend some time checking out in the forums, but overall, I think BlackBerry is a very good choice If communication is your 80% reason to have a mobile. Then it can keep you really mobile in that respect.

Hope that of you have had the patience to read this post all the way down here, it has at least been of some help!

PS: another thing that comes with a BlackBerry phone is a great and helpful community to get help and be part of, here in CB, but we do have our demons in here as well hahah!

best of luck whatever you decide!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-11-15 at 01:34 PM.
    03-11-15 01:20 PM
    Definitely get a z30, the battery life alone will astound you
    Do you remember what it feels like NOT to carry a charger everywhere ?
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    03-11-15 01:21 PM
    Thanks for all the input guys! The issue is that I can repair my iPhone for about $80-$100 and I'm looking for something that is cheap. I can't seem to find a refrubished Z30 for a decent price. Would getting something like the Z10 or Q10 be a waste of money?
    03-11-15 03:17 PM
    BlackBerry devices are low on hardware when compared for other devices with same price tag except for z30 and Passport
    These are the Rock solid phones compared to any other device
    Their OS is lot faster and smoother and to say it runs both android core and BlackBerry OS
    So u have advantage of two platforms(not all android apps work as perfectly though)
    The 10.3.1 is bit buggy on some devices but IMHO this is the most neatly polished OS compared to apple(5s) and android(HTC one M8) I don't know about windows
    Although if u are a power user I recommend passport or z30 or HTC m8(they get hot)

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 03:31 PM
    Check Gazelles ebay store.
    03-11-15 03:35 PM
    imo it is not a waste of money but the Q10, if you are not a 100% conscious BlackBerry user, and coming from a full touch AND it being an I phone, is going to need compromise, on the screen size to begin with, so feel it out first if you can.

have you used any BlackBerry in the past? I think this is the main question. If you have and loved it, then I think there is not too much thinking in terms of if you would like a Q10 or a Z10. why don't you share a bit your past phones experience with us?

If you are willing to make that compromise, then it will give you what part of bb10 all BlackBerry phones would in terms of OS features. Then again, forget about most games or really watching anything long time in terms of video.

I personally prefer the Q10 over the iphone but I am a baked BlackBerry user and have made a very conscious choice.

prior I had the Z10. To me it is a great phone, but again, I would have a hard time telling you to go or not with it, mainly because you have other options like the Z30 that would worth the extra buck imo.

If it was strictly me, with my criteria and knowing what I like from bb10, if the 30 was out of my allocated spending, I would get the Z10

PS: Just as a reminder, it is a personal choice, and as such, I would say make a pros / cons list and check out the features in the forums

all the best

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 04:38 PM
    as a side note, my gf dropped her iphone for my old Z10 and never looked back (she even used my torch instead while I had the Z10 though, so I guess I passed the "flame" and might be a bit biased)

bottom line, give her an iphone 6 now, she will stick with the Z10. But...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 04:48 PM
    I have used a blackberry only a short time. I mainly liked it for its simplicity (it was os7). I mainly have used an iPhone but I have played around with other OS's. I wasn't that big into android or windows phone but I liked the iPhone because of its simplicity as well. My all time favorite mobile OS was webOS but that's long gone (well, except for LuneOS). I am really just looking for a simple phone that has all the basics (phone, text, email, web, etc).
    03-11-15 06:17 PM
    from your last post, I say go with it! the Z10 Will do it (make sure you check its "shortcomings" thought. If phkb is then your thing and you are ok with the smaller screen, Q10 you will enjoy.

Either way, you sound off like the "practical" type of person and I think you will love bb10; I say go for it, either of the two phones you will make good use of, and I would vote for Q10 (size, battery, phkb with shortcuts...) I still use it from time to time when I do not want to get my passport "dirty" or feel like "going light".
    Look at it that way: most probably you will fall in love with it judging from your posts. Worst case scenario, mid term your 80usd will have paid for a good use and if you need to change again, untill you are ready to, you would have gotten your money's worth x2
    but something tells me you re the "once you go blackberry Never go back" person
    I would pull the trigger! -then blame it on the cat- heheh

Posted via CB10
    NuclearKev likes this.
    03-11-15 07:15 PM
    lol lol the iphone charger is now considered jewellery
    NuclearKev likes this.
    03-11-15 07:32 PM
    Thanks, currentodysseys, for your input! I felt like Blackberry was gonna be the best platform to switch to for me. So even though the Q10 and Z10 are ~2 years old they still work well?
    03-11-15 08:52 PM
    For me

Pro :
    Q10 - nice physical keypad, compare to touch screen
    Body built nice glossy (personal interest, I don't like dove handsfeel) and feel solid
    Nice hub (for email, text, whatsapp and bbm)
    Nice email communication
    Nice bbm (unlike ios buggy version)
    Have blackberry blend

Cons :
    Not just limited app, but no good native app (at least for me)

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    NuclearKev likes this.
    03-11-15 09:17 PM
    If you liked webOS, there's nothing closer than BB10, but it's more ... complicated. WebOS was just amazingly elegant and there's nothing that compares.

On the other hand, nothing comes close to BlackBerry hardware, especially if you like a physical keyboard.

I like OS7 better than BB10 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else due to its limitations. It's showing its age in a lot of ways.

If you can find a decent price on a BB10 device, I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-11-15 09:43 PM
    Thanks, currentodysseys, for your input! I felt like Blackberry was gonna be the best platform to switch to for me. So even though the Q10 and Z10 are ~2 years old they still work well?
    I still use my Z10 after 2 years and don't plan on upgrading right away. Z10 is great and if you can get the battery combo pack it should be sufficient to meet your needs. BlackBerry premium charger is recommended too since it's so fast at charging. The only reason people recommend the Z30 over the Z10 is because of key specs and additional touches that make the phone better. The Z10 beats the Z30 with better portability, higher resolution. Z30 does pretty much everything else better.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 01:46 AM
    I switched from an Android phone to a Blackberry Q10, so I am not coming from an iPhone so take that with a grain of salt. That being said I will say that the Q10 is the best phone I have ever owned. It is the perfect phone for me. I love the physical keyboard and don't miss the extra screen at all.

But that is just it. If you play games a lot or watch videos a lot, make sure you are prepared for the smaller screen. Videos will be tiny in comparison. Me, I don't care and therefore it is not one of my feature requirements. Everything else is awesome.

The browser is the best mobile browsing experience I've ever had too.

If you want a regular touch screen phone go for the Z10/30. But for me the Q10 is the gem.
    NuclearKev likes this.
    03-12-15 11:14 AM
    I am interested in the Q10 because of the physical keyboard, however, I do watch a lot of videos. I suppose I can just use my tablet for videos and that would be solved. The only games I play are on the tablet so they won't be missed. Looks like I will be most likely switching to the Q10, or the Z10 if I can't find a good deal for the Q10.
    03-12-15 04:59 PM
    BlackBerry is the best. No Internet limit speed like Android. Android System and companies make this to make BlackBerry look bad, but, is the best smart phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 05:45 PM
    I have a Q10, Soon i will get The Passport. I will die with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 05:46 PM
37 12