I refer you to the earlier quote: "Outdated versions of WhatsApp (on all platforms, not just BBOS andBB10) will be disabled from the server side."

So, there is a VERY GOOD CHANCE THAT Whatsapp WILL STOP WORKING AT THE END OF JUNE and so this young fellow would be WASTING his money by buying a Q10 to run Whatsapp.
    He says he will not be buying a K1 when it is released, and he can get a Q10 as a 2nd phone on the cheap, so ...
    03-20-17 01:39 PM
    He says he will not be buying a K1 when it is released, and he can get a Q10 as a 2nd phone on the cheap, so ...
    But he/she also wants WhatsApp, which effectively eliminates a Q10 unless he/she wants to buy a phone to only get 2+ months usage.

Posted with my  Classic
    Elephant_Canyon and glwerry like this.
    03-20-17 02:24 PM
    But he/she also wants WhatsApp, which effectively eliminates a Q10 unless he/she wants to buy a phone to only get 2+ months usage.
    Has it been confirmed that the WA Android client will be disabled on BB10 after June? Regardless, price is still an important factor when buying into an EOL platform.
    03-20-17 03:40 PM
    Whatsapp has an expiration timer inside the app anyway, so that old versions automatically weed themselves out of the user base. Lack of updates to BB10 Whatsapp means the timer isn't going to be extended before June.
    Unless they are kind enough to push out another extension and an update to go with it.... not a big fan of holding my breath.

OP asked if he should BUY.... I'd say no, just too many unknown factors with BB10 at this point, other than it's clear it's becoming less and less useful in today's app centric world. OP asked about an app so at least that one is important to him.
    glwerry likes this.
    03-20-17 03:49 PM
    Do not buy a Q10. That will not be a good purchase.

I have held the KEYone, and it is so much better than the Q10.... and you will have Whatsapp on it.
    03-20-17 05:58 PM
    Don't base your decision on whatsapp. The plus of the q10 is that it is a strong phone, nice feel, and good look. The amoled screen is crisp compared to the classic and passport.

Will be perfect for calling, email, text and browsing.

The native features work just fine.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 06:57 PM
    If you update WhatsApp, it should continue to work. I was getting a message last fall that WhatsApp would stop supporting BlackBerry and it would cease working on my Z10 at the end of December. I updated the app and the issue went away. What that says to me us that out of date versions of the app cease working on BlackBerry , but the newest version will still work.
    03-20-17 09:37 PM
    If you update WhatsApp, it should continue to work. I was getting a message last fall that WhatsApp would stop supporting BlackBerry and it would cease working on my Z10 at the end of December. I updated the app and the issue went away. What that says to me us that out of date versions of the app cease working on BlackBerry , but the newest version will still work.
    That's because they extended it to June 2017.....whatsapp on BlackBerry 10 will die.

Posted with my  Classic
    03-20-17 09:59 PM
    I don't get why us BB lovers stand by the sidelines and watch Whatsapp take away support...is there NOTHING we can do?
    mainely_linux likes this.
    03-20-17 10:43 PM
    Buy whatever phone you want. Then, Get a cheap kindle or nook tablet for whatsapp. $50 U.S. Or equivalent.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-20-17 11:08 PM
    Yeah, I just need a good phone which performs well on basic functions. I always knew that BB had a great build and performed without going waxko on me.
    03-20-17 11:13 PM
    Has it been confirmed that the WA Android client will be disabled on BB10 after June? Regardless, price is still an important factor when buying into an EOL platform.
    What does it matter if it works or not when it's half broken in it's considered 'working' state. You can't properly send media with it.
    03-20-17 11:17 PM
    Buy whatever phone you want. Then, Get a cheap kindle or nook tablet for whatsapp. $50 U.S. Or equivalent.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    Last time I checked, WhatsApp didn't work on tablets.
    03-21-17 12:34 AM
    Oh no biggie. Just download the .apk file, register with your phone number. Voila.
    03-21-17 05:26 AM
    Oh yeah guys, just done some digging and I can get a PRIV at 11k INR.
    Should I go for it?
    03-21-17 05:27 AM
    Just a teeny tiny problem. Are any of you Priv users experiencing any lagging issues? Cuz' I read a lot of reviews, and a small bunch of them are experiencing lag...comments?
    03-21-17 05:30 AM
    Lag is relative. Lag doing what? How much is normal and how much is "lag"?
    03-21-17 10:54 AM
    More lag than BB10 (Passport), in line with other Android phones (they always start to lag a bit after a while)
    03-21-17 11:31 AM
    Just a teeny tiny problem. Are any of you Priv users experiencing any lagging issues? Cuz' I read a lot of reviews, and a small bunch of them are experiencing lag...comments?
    Lag on BB10 devices with Android version of app is definitely worse than PRIV. I own them all. PRIV has no lag compared to running Android version of app on BB10. Should be expected to perform better, after all PRIV is running Android.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-21-17 02:10 PM
    More lag than BB10 (Passport), in line with other Android phones (they always start to lag a bit after a while)
    LoL! I love these falicy posts. How long should I have to wait, for the lag to start?
    03-21-17 08:49 PM
    I don't get why us BB lovers stand by the sidelines and watch Whatsapp take away support...is there NOTHING we can do?
    How many BB lovers do you think there are?
    03-21-17 10:33 PM
    I've had numerous Android phones.. the Priv, the Samsung S3 when it came out, a middle-class LG in 2011, .... and they all experienced lag after a few months. Not always, not predictable, but often enough and it got worse over time.

I sold my S3 after 3 years because using it was no fun anymore, it was just so slow.
    But to be fair, the same can be said about my iPad Air, which is now 3 or 4 years old. There is no lag itself but changing apps can take ages.
    03-22-17 04:18 AM
    I'm an eleventh grader, guys. I don't deserve a 42k device.
    Its refreshing that you feel that way.If Whatsapp wasn't critical for you I would say the Q10, or others such as the Classic, could work for you. Where are you located?
    03-23-17 02:31 PM
    I heard that the Priv is still raw and needs a lot of tweaks.
    Not raw at all. After the update to Marshmallow it is awesome. The Priv would be great for you if not cost prohibitive.
    03-23-17 02:33 PM
    Very pleased with my Priv, I wouldn't hesitate buying another.
    03-23-17 02:49 PM
53 123