I am asking seriously, here, as someone who has some software knowledge, but not so much hardware knowledge.

I know that two different software builds would require more resources being allocated to testing...

But given that the device probably started out as a BB10-compatible offering, I would imagine that the level of effort required to get BB10 running on it would have been substantially less than what was required to port many of BB10's core functionality and apps over to Android.

As a Z10 owner, I have to say that although BB10 has its shortcomings, I much prefer it to both Android and iPhone. What I would really like to see is a BB10 device with a more comprehensive Android runtime, not a Android device with BB10 apps on it...

But it seems as though there is really no BB10 device upgrade path for me.

What is the rationale for not getting maximum leverage out of given hardware build by offering different OS options?
    09-25-15 11:09 AM
    The closest BB10 ever got to the Priv was the transparency pasted over the LED light on the mockups shown at MWC. Even if there was an actual working unit at some point that wouldn't even be 25% of the effort needed to launch it as a product.
    09-25-15 11:18 AM
    1) It has been reported that the Chipset makers charge a lot for building drivers for a custom OS like BB10. If you are selling millions of devices that cost gets spread out - if you are only selling a few 100K , then that cost add to the bottom line.

2) It cost a lot to develop a OS, maintain and support it. If you you are moving away from those cost (and thus that OS), you stop development and you stop selling new devices with that OS.

Sadly there just aren't enough BB10 enthusiast in this world to pay for it's continued development....
    09-25-15 11:31 AM
    1) It has been reported that the Chipset makers charge a lot for building drivers for a custom OS like BB10. If you are selling millions of devices that cost gets spread out - if you are only selling a few 100K , then that cost add to the bottom line.

2) It cost a lot to develop a OS, maintain and support it. If you you are moving away from those cost (and thus that OS), you stop development and you stop selling new devices with that OS.

Sadly there just aren't enough BB10 enthusiast in this world to pay for it's continued development....
    Anyone know what these costs amount to? Sounds like a job for Kickstarter! Can it be more than a few maybe up to $10 million? If you're not going to sell enough devices to cover even the DRIVER development costs, wow, do you suck at this.
    09-25-15 11:32 AM
    I need a new phone. My z10 is on it's last wheels.

I need BB10... I don't want Android. I don't like android, and frankly if I was going to get Android, I would have just gotten it a while back.

So now I've been waiting for this damn phone to be released so I can finally upgrade, and there isn't a BB10 option.... this is pretty much the worst news ever.

I need a new phone, and have no options to upgrade to because they haven't bothered making anything to upgrade over the Z10.
    09-25-15 11:47 AM

What is the rationale for not getting maximum leverage out of given hardware build by offering different OS options?

This is actually easier to answer that you think - The man represents BBRY, the fire represents BB10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBI.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	373035

We can dress it up in lots of different complex ways but the bottom line is BB10 has never made money, costs BBRY money for every handset sold and will never make money. That is why there is no slider and never will be.
    09-25-15 11:47 AM
    09-25-15 11:48 AM
    Closed
    09-25-15 12:09 PM