I know there are risks, but how can I minimize the risks? If I buy a used PP and it stops working a few weeks later, can I return it to Blackberry for a replacement? What can I do to make sure I don't get scammed?
    The seller wants $400 for the phone and a case, he got it a month or so ago. What can I ask or what should I check when I use it?
    Last edited by Gm1m2overrsquared; 02-20-15 at 05:42 PM.
    02-20-15 05:08 PM
    No, you cannot return it. Plus I'm pretty sure warranty won't transfer either. The best thing you can do to not get scammed is walk away.

Buying secondhand phones is always risky. Do you know if the seller has paid the phone off? If not, you run the risk of them not paying it, and then the phone getting blocked.

But if you really, really want to buy this, check it out thoroughly and protect yourself with a bill of sale saying that you bought a phone that's in working order and get the buyer's contact information. Should something go wrong due to no fault of yours, you could sue the person down the road (if it's worth your time/effort.) It won't get your phone unblocked, but it may get you your money back.

Oh, and if the person's local, meet in a well-lit public place. Like outside the police station.
    bharuch7282 likes this.
    02-20-15 05:24 PM
    He said he traded it for an iPhone 5s and some cash, a month ago, got over it. He then got an iPhone 6, so now he wants to get rid of it.
    He sent me a picture of it just now, what can I check to see in the phone for any indication that there might be a problem?
    02-20-15 06:03 PM
    Best thing is to check it out in person. I was in the same situation as you just a few weeks ago. Guy wanted 350 no box just charger. I was concerned about it but we decided to meet in person and I tried my sim card with it. Since the phones come unlocked, I was expecting it to work, which it did. I got cell service and data service

I then tried making a call, did a Google search, tried the keyboard, sent a text message, tried the camera, video too.

Overall it seemed like the device was in good condition, no scratches or anything. It didn't have the box but I was confident after meeting with the person and trying the phone with my sim.

I ended up talking the guy down to 270 so I got a good deal. The phone is up and running great. I resold it locally after a few days of using it but just wanted to share my experience

If anything goes wrong with it then I'll be stuck without warranty but it seemed like it was well taken care of so I bought it anyway.

That's the chance we take when buying on Craigslist

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 06:42 PM
    Unfortunately, there are no guarantees with anything bought on Craigslist and scams aplenty. Personally, unless it was something relatively inexpensive (have bought used CD's online though Amazon) I would not buy from anyone that I could not meet in person to view and test the product.
    02-20-15 07:12 PM
    The seller traded for it, now wants to sell it. If you buy it, you will be at least the third owner of this phone. Like many here, I wouldn't go near it.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 07:30 PM
    As much as I really appreciate the responses here, and I really do, I went with the buy. I met the guy at a restaurant and he seemed like a nice guy and looked honest, I tried out the phone and it worked. I just couldn't resist the price and didn't want to wait any longer. I bought it.
    If it means anything, I took down his license plates and he didn't delete the phone content so I have his information.
    I'm taking the risk right now and AT&T didn't mention anything, I checked the IMEI or whatever it's called and it came out clean.
    Wish me luck and thank you for the responses, I did take them to mind.
    kb1234 and SeeBeeEss like this.
    02-20-15 09:07 PM
    As much as I really appreciate the responses here, and I really do, I went with the buy. I met the guy at a restaurant and he seemed like a nice guy and looked honest, I tried out the phone and it worked. I just couldn't resist the price and didn't want to wait any longer. I bought it.
    If it means anything, I took down his license plates and he didn't delete the phone content so I have his information.
    I'm taking the risk right now and AT&T didn't mention anything, I checked the IMEI or whatever it's called and it came out clean.
    Wish me luck and thank you for the responses, I did take them to mind.
    Congrats on your purchase! I'm glad he took the time for you to check it out. That's usually the deal breaker, if they don't let you try it out or let you check the imei then they are usually hiding something.

Let us know how the phone is doing after a few days! Enjoy it

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 10:06 PM
    How's the passport doing?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 05:07 PM
    How's the passport doing?

Posted via CB10
    I've had no problems with it at all. It was a legitimate deal and I don't regret buying it. I ended up paying $375 for the phone, which was a great deal in my opinion. Sadly, though not a big deal, it didn't come with the box, the earphones or the original charger, I didn't really mind it though.
    03-15-15 04:04 AM