Hi guys, is there any way to remotely turn on the location services on the device?
    I usually keep location services turned off, don't ask my why, I just prefer it somehow plus it saves battery life.

Well now if I want BlackBerry Protect to work properly my device needs to have the location services turned on.
    Is there any way to remotely turn this on in case the phone gets stolen? Like with a text I send to myself embed with an nfc tag etc? Or am I wanting something impossible?

Does BlackBerry Protect even work if somebody turns off the phone? Since the battery in the z30 is not easily (at all?) removable, the phone shouldn't be completely off unless the battery drains.

Or can I program the phone to turn off location services whenever it connects to one of my approves WiFi networks?
    I feel like there could be some really nice improvements in the security department, minor things really. They would help a lot of folks though...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 11:33 AM
    Pretty sure there isn't a way to do it remotely, since the phone can't be located without the service turned on.

And, if your phone is powered off, protect can't find it (even with location services on), but it location services is on, you could send lock, wipe etc commands to the device if protect and location services were on.
    04-23-15 12:27 PM
    The problem is, all of this has to be done quickly. Before the battery dies. Since no one is going to charge your lost/locked phone...
    04-23-15 01:01 PM
    If send a wipe command it will wipe as soon as it's turned back on and connects to a network .

I don't think you need location services turned on to wipe, play sound, or send a message.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:05 PM
    thanks guys!
    ok, yeah I was afraid of this. I imagine every thief knows to turn off the phone - and remove the battery - as soon as possible.
    So the command to lock will be sent to the phone even if it was turned back on only a few weeks later? good to know.
    it won't however be helpful, if they sell the phone for parts...
    04-26-15 03:43 AM