As I'm typing this message, I glance over at my Q10 and see the laggy blue circle revolve below a paper-shredding icon. Yup, my phone is wiping itself clean of all my cherished photos, contacts, and data
    I am a happy user of BlackBerry's picture-password feature as well as the swipe-up-from-the-bottom-of-the-screen feature to activate the device. But this morning, these two features working coincide of one another has led me to my situation right now. I just had my thumb resting on my screen, while getting ready for work with my phone in hand. Unbeknowest to me, my thumb turned on my screen with one swipe, and continued to move my number grid around my photo enough times to incorrectly place it in the wrong location five times, thereby prompting me for my original phone password (which I just recently reset about three or four weeks ago). I put a decent amount of thought into what my recently-changed alphanumeric password could have been and wound up at trial #10/10, the final trial. I decided to wait until I got home tonight to see if I could backup my phone to my computer before trying the last password attempt, but unfortunately my locked phone would not allow BlackBerry Link to access it without, you guessed it, inputting my password into my phone. With confidence, having thought about what my password could have been all day, I input my password and then my heart fluttered with excitement as the lock screen disappeared, but then my heart soon sank as my homescreen/applications did not appear beneath it. And then it reboot and has since displayed this shredding-icon for over an hour now. According to numerous online forums, BlackBerries, particularly the Q10, have taken anywhere from 4-36 hours for this master wipe to complete. This really sucks, as I have no idea when it will finish (and when I will have a usable phone again). Prior to my final password attempt, I DID remove my SD card so that I'd at least have that preserved, and during the master-wipe I have since taken out the battery and removed my SIM. Once I turned it back on, it resumed the master wipe. (BTW, I ran out of space on my SD card about 3 weeks ago, and that's why I changed media storage over to my phone).
    GUYS, THIS REALLY EFFING SUCKS. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND MAKE A PROMISE TO YOURSELF THAT YOU'LL FIND A WAY TO GUARANTEE YOUR PASSWORD RECOVERY, PERHAPS BY DOCUMENTING YOUR PASSWORDS SOMEWHERE, EVEN ON PAPER AND KEEPING IT UNDER YOUR BED! Because you never know when something may happen, out of your control. I am slowly watching my phone disintegrate some of my most cherished photos/videos/phone call recordings/phone contacts/text messages I held dear to me. This is ultimately my fault, of course, as I should have backed up my phone from the get-go and regularly syncronized it, and I should have made sure to remember my passcode. At the very least, I am lucky to at least have whatever has managed to sync to my DropBox, my SD card, and my SIM. The best thing I can do at this point is tell myself that everything happens for a reason.
    08-25-14 11:18 PM
    you did not encrypt the SD card right?

Sorry to hear though this does suck when it happens
    08-25-14 11:22 PM
    I swore I did, and you actually just gave me a bit of scare because it made me fear that my SD card would be inaccessible since the encryption process locks it to a particular IP address, or something like that (in which case my reset phone would have a different one), but no, Ive put it in my Galaxy S3 and have been viewing photos and videos all day.

Yeah, it genuinely sucks. The loss hurts. It hurts knowing something emotional of value to you is GONE.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-25-14 11:50 PM
    Sorry to hear that I know what happened has happened and can't be reversed but there are some precautions
    1) using box, dropbox or mega for cloud backup could have saved your videos and pictures
    2) I am an iPhone user all my contacts are already in iCloud then I still have them on my Google account, when I was setting up my emails on Z10 I made sure that I checked on calendar and contact options for both my Gmail and iCloud accounts, for your need, at least you can have a Gmail account and make a setup on your Q10 to sync the contacts to it. Yet there are many apps to do just that one of them is intouch.

My first BlackBerry Z10 (wall hugger) will soon be replaced by its successor Z20 but now it's hugging BB10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 01:11 AM
    Your old life in the past is over. Think of it as your new life adventures starts today.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 01:17 AM
    At least you will be religious about backing up now. I backup on a weekly basis. Some people I know do it nightly.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 02:04 AM