Hey folks,

I was wondering if you could tell me if I messed up my Q10 or if the BlackBerry did this as a security measure.

I was outside tanning with my BlackBerry in my pocket, stored inside my leather holster. It's very hot in LA right now and thought I should even out my skin tone whilst reading some research articles. Then, I got a call. I was on the line for quite some time with my headset when suddenly, I realised that I wasn't on the line anymore. I took out my BlackBerry and it was burning hot! The radio had gone to SOS!

I immediately ran inside then took out the battery. Now, I put it back in and the cellular service, normally 3-4 bars, is now around 1-2 bars.

Did I mess up my BlackBerry? The documentation says the safe temperature interval is 0-35 deg C and it's 37 deg C right now! It probably didn't help that I have the black Q10 and it was inside a black leather holster inside black shorts. I used my thermometer perhaps 10 minutes after and it said 36.5 deg C... that's just the surface temperature though and would probably be over 40 at the core.

I called AT&T (using another phone) and they said I should take it to a Device Support Centre for a replacement just in case. There's one pretty close to me but I'm pretty sure that if I do that, they will give me a completely different phone. They don't carry the Q10 anymore right? I might also be in breach of the warranty agreement for installing unreleased software version 10.3... haha should I get it replaced anyway? Also, I was waiting for the passport or classic, as I've been eligible for a 2-year contract upgrade since March. I took off the insurance because I had no more contract (but am still in warranty until next February). I don't want to buy another Q10 if the end of the contract is just around the corner!

Did I **** up my Q10? Should I get it replaced by way of warranty or contract upgrade? Which phone on AT&T should I get? (definitely not an S5 because my mum, my sister and my roommate have been having major problems with that) Should I instead ask for RRS and buy a phone at a different carrier then deactivate RRS and just upgrade when the Passport comes out? I also have another phone anyway, a Windows phone. Should I just use that and forget my personal device until upgrade time?

Keep in mind that I get no discount with my current plan (ages old) under the Next instalment upgrade option and that I would actually be paying $400 more for a $599 phone under Next, meaning if I do my 2-year, I won't be upgrading through Next because that's a rip off. I love my Q10 too much.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    09-07-14 06:57 PM
    Using Battery Guru, I've seen my temps in the 40C range, never experienced this issue.

If you've let it cool down, maybe even turn it off for a bit and you still have issues, maybe there is an issue.

I'd downgrade to the official OS (they'll do that anyways, or blame the unofficial 10.3 for your problems and probably charge you something for the repair) before taking it in.
    09-07-14 09:11 PM
    Using Battery Guru, I've seen my temps in the 40C range, never experienced this issue.

If you've let it cool down, maybe even turn it off for a bit and you still have issues, maybe there is an issue.

I'd downgrade to the official OS (they'll do that anyways, or blame the unofficial 10.3 for your problems and probably charge you something for the repair) before taking it in.
    I think with the battery, the temperature threshold is 60 deg C, but the Q10 itself is 35 deg C. Are you sure it'll be fine? I'm getting service now, but my contacts are going haywire! I suddenly got double entries and a lot of those are empty! I deleted that outlook.com EAS account right now to see if it'll clear out the problem once I put it back, but I haven't had this problem before.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    09-07-14 11:34 PM