Hi, I got Priv with latest updates. My battery started draining about during the last month. Say even after reboot, no apps open (by me), the Priv is suspended. No activity prior (by me, cannot vouch for synch and background), screen off, but it gets warm in two areas: at the back where flash is and at the top where sim slot is. It is also intermittent as if it happens by itself (it stopped just now for example). Hub has two email accounts, I disabled messaging accounts in hub, could the sync be to blame? Battery log shows screen drain, GSAM shows battery use by "screen off" more than screen on. I could not install wakelock detector. Any ideas or should I do factory reset... ? Thanks.
    07-28-17 05:58 AM
    No clue what apps you have installed, most likely an app.
    Start by going into location > 3 dot menu > scanning - turn wifi and bluetooth scanning off.
    Then go into data usage, scroll up, and for each app that does not need to log onto the cellular network when closed and not being used, (that will be most of them) tap on the app and turn 'Restrict app background data' to ON.
    If that doesn't correct the problem, start getting rid of apps. Snapchat, and any social apps should be gotten rid of. If that fixes it, you can re-install them one at a time giving at least a day between them to see which one is causing problems.
    The stock battery screen does a fair job of showing what is using battery, you can also tap on the battery graph and it will show awake and some other stuff, since last full charge.
    Almost forgot, under data usage, make sure 'queue cellular data' is on. You can also see data usage by each app, foreground and back ground, either cellular or wifi, and look at several 30 day periods, this should also help spot any misbehaving apps.
    If you do a factory reset, then install all the same apps, odds are you will also be re-installing your problem. Though sometimes Android just gets 'confused' and a factory reset will fix what ails it.
    You should also clear your cache when the phone gets laggy, or just weird, but this usually has no impact on heat or battery drain.
    07-28-17 03:20 PM
    I turn off location services, screen animations and do NOT use Facebook app - I just use the mobile app.

There are several excellent threads that showed up just after the PRIV came out that have detailed battery conservation tips. The items posted by Wezard (above) are also very good.

Hang in there, this is solvable - I regularly hit bed with 50% or better remaining on the battery.
    07-28-17 03:28 PM
    Android IS Google, they want every piece of info or data they can possibly collect, so every possible way to send or receive is ON by default, (this goes for each individual app also). This of course, uses your battery, and data. Almost all of it can be turned off, with out affecting the operation of the phone, so the device does what you want it to do instead of what Google wants it to do. Unfortunately, the settings required to tame the phone are many, and spread out all over the phone and various app settings.

I had forgotten about animations, adjusting these requires that 'developer options' be turned on. I've forgotten how to do this, it's pretty simple, just do a search. Then set all 3 animation levels to OFF, or .5x. Mine are at .5x

All of the social apps are moderately hard or devastating to the battery and data usage, depending on which particular update version you are on. FaceBook might be moderately OK, then an update is released and suddenly it's using half your battery in an hour, without even being open. I use "Freindly" instead of FB, it connects to FB servers and does mostly the same thing as FB, but is a much leaner app, and is really easy on battery

Also keep in mind that most manufacturers will tweak Android and make it their own special version. Some app developers will code their apps for that tweak, so it might work real well with a Samsung, but have issues with a Priv or LG.

I never install more than one app at a time on my Priv, and run it for at least 2 days before adding another.
    I used to get 2 full days out of mine, with some left over, but I was turning location off when not using it. I've gotten lazy and leave location on all the time now, but still get a full 24 hour day most of the time. Not that I do that, but sometimes I forget to put it on the charger at night and there's 20 to 40% left the next morning.

I'm also convinced there are some bad Privs out there, way too many. Seem to have a flakey battery and or power supply circuitry. If yours ran fine for a month or better, odds are yours is fine and it's a bad app. And keep in mind that an app can run fine for months or years, then get updated and suddenly cause problems. About the time the security updates are released, there are also a whole lot of apps updated, of course most people ignore this and blame the security update. If the security update is really at fault, every device that got that particular update will be having the same problem. Not just a hand full of people. It's funny seeing threads right after a security update, half saying "it broke this", while an equal number are saying " it fixed, 'the same thing'".
    07-29-17 09:16 AM