The micro USB port on my Playbook has stopped working. I emailed BB Support and they told me when I bought it (2 1/2 year ago) and that my 90 day warranty had expired. That was a blinding glimpse of the obvious! I can send it to them and it will cost me $49 for them to tell me it is broken and how much the repair will cost. They did say that I can take it to an authorized repair centre. I am in northeastern Ontario. I have no idea where to start to look so I am hopeful that someone can point me in the right direction. I would like to get it fixed at least long enough to pull the data off it and then perhaps it is time to retire it. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Pat
    07-26-14 08:23 AM
    you have a few options.

1, if you don't think you'll need to connect it via USB ever again, you can order the rapid charger and it will charge it from the other port.

2. buy the micro usb port and attempt to glue and solder it on yourself.

3. buy another playbook from eBay or Craigslist.
    Bigpoint likes this.
    07-26-14 09:00 AM
    Why not by a new or used Playbook from Amazon.ca as some are still available at discounted prices?

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...droidcent08-20
    Bigpoint likes this.
    07-26-14 09:02 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I have found a business that will do the repair for a very reasonable price so will see about getting the port fixed because otherwise no way to back up PB or get data off if I decide to retire it.
    07-26-14 11:23 AM
    Check if you can connect with your PC via BB Link through Bluetooth -- if you have done any previous back-up, at least you should have access to previously downloaded apps. Am not an expert, but I expect someone smarter than me should be able to access the info, maybe even through Wi-Fi if both are on the same network... Nothing to lose by trying, Good Luck.
    07-26-14 01:22 PM
    I had big probs trying to repair my PB through BB. Got nowhere with them after 6months. I took it to a repair shop and they did it in 4 days. I would avoid BB. Just make sure whoever you take it to has some experience of repairing PB's. Good luck with it.
    07-26-14 05:16 PM
    It's honestly not hard to solder USB ports into a printed circuit board.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 09:15 AM