I have a PlayBook and it works perfectly with my home system running Windows 8 with USB connection but it shows "Connected to Computer" when I connect it to my office system (also running Windows 8) but I can't access it either as a network location or external storage device like I use to on my home system. The BlackBerry Device Manager however comes up as a tray icon showing the PlayBook, it PIN, it IP4 address, and Time connected.

What I have tried
    1. Mapping it as a network drive using the playbook name (\\playbookname\Media). It replied device not found
    2. Mapping it as a network drive using the IP4 address shown in BlackBerry Device Manager (\\169.254.234.25\Media). It replied system seem to be properly connected but device not responding.
    3. Turned off my anti virus (which should be my firewall too) as suggested by the help on BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Nothing happened
    09-17-14 02:59 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

1. Using Control Panel, remove ALL BlackBerry software from the computer;
    2. Use CCleaner to clean temp files and fix the registry;
    3. Turn both PC and PlayBook off, then back on;
    4. (If you have a BB10 device) Download BlackBerry Link from BlackBerry's site;
    5. (If you only have the PlayBook) Plug the PlayBook and let it install it's drivers and software

See if that does it.

Try mapping the PlayBook using the WiFi's IP. If you can assign the PlayBook a static IP, that will work the best.
    09-17-14 09:34 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

1. Using Control Panel, remove ALL BlackBerry software from the computer;
    2. Use CCleaner to clean temp files and fix the registry;
    3. Turn both PC and PlayBook off, then back on;
    4. (If you have a BB10 device) Download BlackBerry Link from BlackBerry's site;
    5. (If you only have the PlayBook) Plug the PlayBook and let it install it's drivers and software

See if that does it.

Try mapping the PlayBook using the WiFi's IP. If you can assign the PlayBook a static IP, that will work the best.
    I uninstalled both the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Manager, used CCleaner to clean registry, and restarted both PlayBook and computer as instructed but now when I connect PlayBook to system, PlayBook shows "Connected to Computer" but nothing happened on computer.

Nothing at all!
    09-17-14 11:41 AM
    Nice, you followed the steps up to stop 3.

Now keep going. Download Link if needed and Desktop Software. If the PlayBook is not asking you to load up drivers, then you still have BlackBerry software in there (the PC).
    10-22-14 12:48 AM
    After months of frustration I finally got it working! It's a Windows 8 related issue/problem! This step from (forums.crackberry)(.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/)playbook-wont-connect-my-windows-8-laptop-824641/ worked for me. (Sorry cant post link)
    Rolling your driver:
    1. Right click on "My computer" -> manager -> device manager.
    You could see 2 folder "blackberry" and "network adapter"
    - Double click on "blackberry", appears "blackberry device" -> right click -> uninstall.
    - Double click on "network adapter" -> appears "blackberry device" -> uninstall
    2. Uninstall your Blackberry Desktop Software. Then re-install latest BB Device Software (version 7.1)
    3. Plugin your Playbook and enjoy
    It works like miracle to me on Windows 8.1 (64 bit).
    Note: you may not create new folder using your laptop, but you could do it on your PB. After that you can copy/delete your files to and from computer.
    Cheers,
    Tuan
    12-13-14 06:47 AM