I just bought a friend a playbook so that he could sync his blackberry passport calendar with the calendar view in the playbook. We installed blackberry bridge on both devices, but the calendars won't synchronize. I noticed that the blackberry bridge app folder that is on his playbook desktop does not have all the icons it should have. It only shows the BBM and BB text messages icons. It doesn't show contacts, calendar, memopad, tasks, and messages. I checked, and both his passport and playbook "see each other", and both devices have their software updated. Any advice on how to fix this. Thanks in advance.
    03-29-15 05:14 PM
    You can't on BlackBerry 10. You get texts, individual bbm, and data connection on your PlayBook from the phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 05:25 PM
    If the Calendar your friend uses on the Passport is the local Calendar on the phone only you're out of luck on the PlayBook. PlayBook went End of Life a year ago so it's unsupported and not developed for by BlackBerry any more, including integrating it with BB10 phones. Bridge only got a very basic set of features before development was cut off.

If the Calendar is in a mailbox somewhere like GMail or Yahoo Mail or Outlook.com then add it as an Account on the PlayBook.

Alternatively show your friend the wonders of Blend on his laptop, computer or modern iPad or Android tablet.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    03-29-15 05:31 PM
    What a bad friend you are.
    03-29-15 05:35 PM
    Blackberry bridge worked beautifully on the BlackBerry 7 devices.

The playbook runs exchange active sync. Which allows your playbook to sync with exchange, gmail, or hotmail/outlook.

Your calendar, contacts, and email will sync with your server, not your phone. Try on hotmail/outlook and you will notice it works perfectly.

BBM and Text Messages are the only synced functions on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 05:40 PM
    Thank you. I'll check out Blend. It's frustrating because the Playbook could have been so useful if it had full smartphone integration capability. And I really liked the idea of an alternative to Microsoft and Apple OS. Oh well.
    03-29-15 09:39 PM
    Thank you. I'll check out Blend. It's frustrating because the Playbook could have been so useful if it had full smartphone integration capability. And I really liked the idea of an alternative to Microsoft and Apple OS. Oh well.
    You must have been asleep for the last 2 years. The PlayBook has been dead at least that long.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 09:50 PM
    Actually, just because BlackBerry dropped playbook development, it doesn't mean it's dead, actually it is far from dead. I have lenovo, samsung and apple tablets, in all OS flavours. My favorite is the playbook, despite the lack of apps from BlackBerry world.

On mine I run, PIM for several systems, i have all my data synced, I run all my server monitoring and remote access tools, I run citrix, microsoft remote desktop, watch movies, listen to music, work on microsoft word, excel and powerpoint. Social media is a breeze. VoIp phone, pbx management, and the list goes on.

All this while running wireless on an lte network. I run more apps than the average POWER user. And the thing I use the most on my pb is what people mention the least. The touchpad on the bluetooth keyboard. Especially when it is connected to a projector or a big screen tv via hdmi.

If this is dead technology, do tell what replaces it and at what cost.

Posted via CB10
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    03-30-15 08:45 AM
    Since i've had my passport, I don't really touch the playbook. It doesn't get much more integrated than having the phone and a big screen in one. I get what you're saying though. Full bridge would have been nice or Blend on the PlayBook even.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    03-30-15 10:39 AM
    Since i've had my passport, I don't really touch the playbook. It doesn't get much more integrated than having the phone and a big screen in one. I get what you're saying though. Full bridge would have been nice or Blend on the PlayBook even.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    BB10 on PlayBook would have meant it would have been a viable proposition for BlackBerry to continue developing things for it such as Blend. It's a crying shame but the lack of RAM in the PlayBook killed all hope of that one. Developing 2 different Operating Systems, BB10 and PlayBook OS is beyond BlackBerry's current resources and funding, they struggle at times just with getting BB10 working well on new phones.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    03-30-15 01:26 PM
    Actually, just because BlackBerry dropped playbook development, it doesn't mean it's dead, actually it is far from dead. I have lenovo, samsung and apple tablets, in all OS flavours. My favorite is the playbook, despite the lack of apps from BlackBerry world.
    I loved/still love the PlayBook but it's dead for all for but the very hardy hardcore IT literate user who can find ways around its software limitations and persevere with it, and also be very patient and understanding of it.

Being a BES Admin and IT Infrastructure guy, I could persevere with it if I had the time but I don't and I know it's largely not going to be as good an experience as a modern tablet or hybrid like a Surface Pro or similar. BES12 doesn't even support the PlayBook anymore so soon when I upgrade it'll be bye bye Work Space and internal network access through the NOC.

When your source of software is either the PlayBook's barren BlackBerry World or having to resort to Gingerbread Android apps or just hope there's a Web based way big doing things it get pretty frustrating for me rather quickly.

The most I occasionally use one of my 3 PlayBooks for now is Todd Grayson's Remote Desktop app with a good logitech Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Occasionally if I want a bigger but not too big a screen for movies or TV shows while away or relaxing I might copy a load on to it now and again.

On mine I run, PIM for several systems, i have all my data synced, I run all my server monitoring and remote access tools, I run citrix, microsoft remote desktop, watch movies, listen to music, work on microsoft word, excel and powerpoint. Social media is a breeze. VoIp phone, pbx management, and the list goes on.
    What you using for monitoring? Web based / Work Browser based or Gingervread Android apps like SolarWinds Mobile Admin?

The PlayBook Citrix Receiver app is a joke, it hasn't had an update in what 3 years? are you using Ginger Bread Android version instead? I find most complex Android apps far too laggy for my needs, even on the faster LTE PlayBook.

Social media a breeze? Slow Android apps again or just relying on the still pretty good if slow Browser or Fast Browser or OrigamiBrowser?

I'm not taking the mickey here, I am genuinely interested in how you get a good user experience in those areas. For me being trapped in 2012 software wise is just too much in 2015 where things have moved on.

All this while running wireless on an lte network. I run more apps than the average POWER user. And the thing I use the most on my pb is what people mention the least. The touchpad on the bluetooth keyboard. Especially when it is connected to a projector or a big screen tv via hdmi.
    The touchpad on the official PlayBook keyboard is fine but the keyboard itself is horrible, one of the hardest to type accurately on I've ever used. My Logitech blows it back in to the stone age.

While it's fun to hook a PlayBook up to something over HDMI the low resolution for me just doesn't cut it in 2015.

If this is dead technology, do tell what replaces it and at what cost.
    Posted via CB10
    For me, a Z10 initially replaced my need for a PlayBook, then a Z30 and more recently a Passport and if we're talking something with a bigger screen a Surface Pro 3.

All at more cost but don't forget that BlackBerry took a painful $1 Billion hit on the PlayBook. So the price most of us paid for one was not a realistic example of what BlackBerry could ever put out at a low price point and make a profit on at all, unless they somehow grew to Samsung/Apple levels of sales success.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 03-30-15 at 02:48 PM.
    03-30-15 02:21 PM
    JohnnyUK!

Great post and thank you for taking the time to write it.

For the most part I setup a device the way it is going to work an just got with it.

I've managed to do most things on my Z10 and then on my Z30. I'm not a tablet lover, but of all tabs, I still like the os on PB the best, then android. Not crazy about IOS and definitely not W8. (when I say OS not referring to speed or apps, but rather the way it functions)

I may eventually upgrade to a tab s10.5. I just love the super amoled screen, but the size of the pb and the way the screen real estate was taken advantage of. With the pb, i could easily type with both thumbs, not sure I'll be able to do this with the tab.

Thanks again for the great reply.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 09:12 AM
    That was a great post!

I still use my PB more than any other tablet, but I guess I've learned to live with it's limitations. For me, the email to my work's exchange server is flawless, as is the calender. The weak spot is the browser for sure, although Origami has certainly helped.

For my "consumer level " usage I'm basically at several news apps, ScoreMobile, and the bridge for Internet access through my Q5. I view documents grabbed through the phone, and pics and videos. I actually do use BBM through the bridge, and video chat that I never knew worked via BBM video.

Got rid of my Windows tab (it just is not ready for an 8" tablet experience IMO), and my iPad is nice but not as portable. My Android is just ok.... Apps work but I get fed up with how inconsistent everything seems to be, and the (perhaps perceived) amount of information that every app seems to want.

So yes, I would never pretend it is viable today but if you already have one there are ways to put it to good use.

Of course, none of this addresses the original post, but I always enjoy yapping about the PB
    PlayBook UK likes this.
    04-03-15 04:30 PM