Hello -

after syncing with Link the pictures orientations are all wrong on my computer (Win7). I have to manually rotate all the pictures on the laptop... I'm sure this is not normal...

Running OS 10.2.1 on the Z10 and Link 1.2.3.48

Help please!

Thanks
    07-29-14 12:37 AM
    Is this all of your pictures or just some of them? Could it be the pictures in question are being synced in their native resolution and orientation, but when you view them on the BB, compensates?
    07-29-14 10:53 AM
    All the pictures are incorrectly oriented when I open them on my computer (except for the landscape ones taken with the volume buttons up). I have to manually rotate them one by one (on the PC) to get the orientation right.

The same orientation problem is true when emailing a picture directly from the device. This is even more frustrating because in this case there is no way to correct the orientation before emailing the picture.

Note that the orientation is correct when I view the pictures on the Z10.
    07-29-14 02:18 PM
    Our BB10 devices a designed to be held like a camera when taking pictures that is you hold the device on it's side in a horizontal position or landscape position. If you take pictures this way as you would with a traditional camera they will be in the correct orientation when transferred to your PC.
    07-30-14 10:05 AM
    Hi Rich

just back from vacation... No offense, but you are joking, right? You're telling me that the Z10 is not meant to take pictures in the portrait orientation because "pictures taken with a camera are always landscape"? Again, no offense, but that makes no sense.

Note that picture orientation is correct when viewed on the device itself, or when uploaded to facebook, bbm, whatsapp or mms.

It is wrong when transferred using Link or when emailed via the Blackberry email client.

Please help!

Thanks,
    mpb
    08-11-14 07:01 PM
    Hi Rich

just back from vacation... No offense, but you are joking, right? You're telling me that the Z10 is not meant to take pictures in the portrait orientation because "pictures taken with a camera are always landscape"? Again, no offense, but that makes no sense.

Note that picture orientation is correct when viewed on the device itself, or when uploaded to facebook, bbm, whatsapp or mms.

It is wrong when transferred using Link or when emailed via the Blackberry email client.

Please help!

Thanks,
    mpb

I'm not offended. I did some testing and it appears the way the software is designed, when you take a picture with the device on it's side as it would be IF it was a traditional camera then the picture is correctly oriented, IF you take the picture portrait the software does not seem to compensate for this when the picture gets transferred to a computer. This is a software flaw/decision on BlackBerry's part. I'm just trying to explain it. I kind of agree with you it would be better if the software compensated and oriented the pictures properly.
    08-12-14 08:00 AM
    The way most of these smartphones are designed, they only actually take photos in a single orientation. The orientation that the sensor is mounted in. They then embed an "orientation flag" in the actual picture file that tells software how to flip/rotate the picture for display. Many decent smartphone apps know this, and sometimes even "correct" the orientation of the picture itself before sending it.

There are actually 8 different values of this orientation flag. Unfortunately, your average desktop OS (especially Windows) doesn't understand most of them. As such, the same photo that will display in the correct orientation on your phone will not display in the correct orientation on your PC.

So its either the fault of the smartphone for not saving the picture in the upright orientation all the time (which none of them do), or the fault of Windows for not understanding all the possible values of the orientation flag. I wouldn't want Link modifying my picture files when copying them off the phone, which it would otherwise have to do to "fix" this. (Modifying a JPEG often means re-encoding it with loss of quality.)
    08-12-14 10:29 AM
    Well I get it. On my phone the picture looks fine. On my Windows 8.1 laptop the pictures look fine. In BlackBerry Link's tiny picture previews some are upside down and a few more are sideways. As long as it looks fine on my phone and when I preview them directly from the folder with windows picture viewer I'm happy. Only on Link is it messed up. Fortunately it isn't a big deal. It's just... odd.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:43 AM
    Have you ever seen those iphone pictures or videos that seem to be locked in portrait? I think I hate THAT even more! LOL If BB had to make a chose I think on the side widescreen traditional camera orientation was the right one! It would be better if you could manually select or if the phone could intelligently determine which was best based on how the phone is oriented when the picture or video is taken. But like DK said most image software compensates for us.
    08-12-14 01:45 PM
    Have you ever seen those iphone pictures or videos that seem to be locked in portrait? I think I hate THAT even more! LOL If BB had to make a chose I think on the side widescreen traditional camera orientation was the right one! It would be better if you could manually select or if the phone could intelligently determine which was best based on how the phone is oriented when the picture or video is taken. But like DK said most image software compensates for us.
    Yes, my wife's iphone 5s does the portrait view. I keep telling her to turn the phone sideways, but it doesn't rotate the picture.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    08-12-14 02:29 PM