I'm being given the choice between the Verzon and AT&T versions of the Q10 for my work phone. Which will be a better choice for international travel? Is this strictly a question of what bands the phones can use, or do I need to understand partnership agreements Verizon and ATT have with carriers in different countries?

I mostly go to Europe (UK, Switzerland, France, Italy ...) but have occasional trips to South America, Africa, and probably Asia someday. My first trip with the new phone will be Brazil. My current Bold 9930 (Verizon) seems to have decent voice but poor data in most places I visit. I can sometimes get EDGE, but never 3G when on travel.

I live in Washington, DC, so I also care about Verizon vs ATT's coverage here, where I perceive Verizon to be better but maybe not dramatically. However, I depend more on my BB when I'm on travel.

I could also choose a Verizon Z30, though I am leaning towards a Q10. I'm not especially interested in apps. I care more about email (and prefer physical keyboard) call quality, battery life. I do expect to use the BB as a WiFi access point.

Any advice which phone to choose?
    01-02-15 02:02 PM
    Verizon hardware is CDMA, while AT&T is GSM.
    GSM is more supported worldwide than CDMA, which is why your older Verizon device would only get EDGE maybe when you were outside of Verizon coverage.
    USA only, Verizon is hard to beat for coverage and speed, but world wide go GSM.
    01-02-15 02:06 PM
    Verizon hardware is CDMA, while AT&T is GSM.
    GSM is more supported worldwide than CDMA, which is why your older Verizon device would only get EDGE maybe when you were outside of Verizon coverage.
    USA only, Verizon is hard to beat for coverage and speed, but world wide go GSM.
    Outdated information, as it pertains to Q10s.

The Verizon Q10 is actually a decent global or "world phone" (as Verizon likes to call it.) Neither will get LTE in Europe, but the Verizon Q10 brings greater UMTS (3G/HSPA+) compatibility than the AT&T Q10. In South America, the AT&T Q10 is better for LTE but just as good for UMTS.

IMO, the determinant should be the place where the OP lives for the majority of the time. And it sounds like Verizon's coverage there is good, so assuming you want to stay with Verizon, you couldn't go wrong with the Verizon Q10. In fact, if at some point you decide to switch to AT&T, you won't end up with a completely useless Q10. The Verizon Q10 even works on AT&T. It will pull down a UMTS signal everywhere AT&T has such a network, and if you're in the right places, it may even pull down LTE. However, you'd never be able to use the AT&T Q10 on Verizon.
    Last edited by raino; 01-03-15 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
    ummie4, moody and DaFoxGrey like this.
    01-02-15 07:52 PM