I have a Q5 that has been dropped numerous times. I'm trying to switch to another Q5 that I've purchased to replace it, however when I attempt connecting the original Q5 to the computer, it will no detect it. I've tried different USB cables and different computers, with the same result. I've attempted getting it to connect to the computer via bluetooth without success. Also, it is connecting to the computer via wifi, but it won't allow to perform backup via wifi.

Is there any way to perform a full backup via Link without using a USB cable on a Q5?
    11-14-16 10:29 AM
    Are you using Windows 10 or iTunes on your Pc?
    If so you Link may actually be the problem...read the following but first try to uninstall and reinstall the BlackBerry Link software on your pc.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 02:02 PM
    Hi. I'm using Windows 7, and negative on iTunes.

Edit: both computers are fine, I was able to perform backups off of my other BlackBerrys. It's just the Q5's USB port that appears to be no longer functional when it comes to transfering data.
    Last edited by Sashko; 11-14-16 at 03:34 PM.
    11-14-16 03:02 PM
    Hi. I'm using Windows 7, and negative on iTunes.

Edit: both computers are fine, I was able to perform backups off of my other BlackBerrys. It's just the Q5's USB port that appears to be no longer functional when it comes to transfering data.
    Check your wi-fi sharing and connection settings, USB settings and device connection settings....and make sure your Link preferences are enabled for wi-fi access.
    I can understand how the USB port may be damaged but fail to see why it won't connect via wi-fi.
    I'm assuming that you do have a functional wi-fi otherwise.
    Have you tried a hard reboot of device to clear out any possible software glitches?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 07:03 PM
    It does connect to the computer through wifi, but Link says that backups cannot be performed via wifi. It will only allow the sync of photos, and file access via Wifi with Link.

When you say hard reset, do you mean security wipe?
    11-14-16 09:10 PM
    I understand now....
    First... sorry to say but Link cannot backup wirelessly. Used to be an option with BBOS in Protect but not on BB10.
    Reportedly you can also backup with Sachesi but you still require USB connection and if your port is non-functional that still won't help.
    If I recall correctly you may have some hope with a cloud backup and if I can find the appropriate thread I will link you to it.

Second...hard reboot is not the same as security wipe.
    To perform hard reboot you can hold power button down for 20-30 seconds until red LED flashes and BlackBerry boot logo reappears.
    This may correct a software glitch but if your problem is a hardware failure it won't make a difference. ..worth an attempt though since it won't result in data loss.

I'm curious though.....in Settings....Storage and Access...USB....what settings do you have enabled?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 11:10 PM
    Should probably add that apart from a full system backup I have frequently made use of the Ultimate Backup app available in BBW....backups up pretty much everything and provides both media card and cloud options so it may help you if your USB port is trashed.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 12:12 AM
    I understand now....
    First... sorry to say but Link cannot backup wirelessly. Used to be an option with BBOS in Protect but not on BB10.
    Reportedly you can also backup with Sachesi but you still require USB connection and if your port is non-functional that still won't help.
    If I recall correctly you may have some hope with a cloud backup and if I can find the appropriate thread I will link you to it.

Second...hard reboot is not the same as security wipe.
    To perform hard reboot you can hold power button down for 20-30 seconds until red LED flashes and BlackBerry boot logo reappears.
    This may correct a software glitch but if your problem is a hardware failure it won't make a difference. ..worth an attempt though since it won't result in data loss.

I'm curious though.....in Settings....Storage and Access...USB....what settings do you have enabled?

Posted via CB10
    Hard reboot didn't help.

Everything is deactivated under the "Access using USB" menu in settings.

Should probably add that apart from a full system backup I have frequently made use of the Ultimate Backup app available in BBW....backups up pretty much everything and provides both media card and cloud options so it may help you if your USB port is trashed.
    I have Ultimate Backup on my Passport (the Q5 is my wife's). I noticed the Device Switch app that the Setup on BB10 refers to which is free. Transferring everything it was able to do via wifi kept failing, however via mem card it did work. Unfortunately it doesn't get close to comparing performing a full backup via BB Link (eg all of the spacing is lost on all the notes, and none of the app settings nor is BBM part of the backup), but I guess I don't have much of a choice, unless I wanted to try replacing the USB plug on the old Q5, which seems a tad too tricky when watching a vid on YouTube on it.

Either way, thank you both for your help :-)
    Lusitano17 likes this.
    11-26-16 07:14 PM