The Blend icon is on desktop but when I try and open it, it tells me I can't and need newer version. I download newer recomended version and it says I need to close blend. But it's not running. Stuck. It looks like Blend is part of Link. If I uninstall Link do I lose everything?
    08-28-15 05:10 PM
    It's not part of link. Open your task manager and see if blend is stuck running in the background and if it is close it through there.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    08-28-15 05:41 PM
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately blend is not running in the background. However every time I plug my Classic in the first program that tries to start Is the desktop soft ware for my old Bold. Maybe that's confusing things.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:44 PM
    Here is an old trick -- AND IT WORKED (at least, it is working for me ....).

Background -- Why I think this works

In the old Windows days, programs would install their own specific DLL or SYS files; typically, the file had to be located in a specific directory in order for it to be used ("called") by the controlling program. Some programs were written so that if the program couldn't find a needed DLL or SYS file, it would automatically check the folder where the program itself was installed.

Now, I noticed that the VPN connection file (needed for BlackBerry Blend) is called "rimvndis6_AMD64.sys" -- so I COPIED that file into the Blend's own program folder.
    [BTW, I copied it instead of moving it, just in case Blend "looks" for it in the original location.]

HOWEVER, THIS DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM -- INSTEAD, IT *FROZE* BLEND THE FIRST TIME I TRIED TO OPEN BLEND AFTER COPYING.

* THE SOLUTION *

I started with a completely new, fresh and clean re-installation before copying the file to the folder. Here are the steps I followed (and which worked -- as of a week later, Blend still opens correctly).

1. UNINSTALL EVERYTHING -- BLEND AND LINK. (No kidding, this appears to be important and I don't know exactly why.)

2. INSTALL EVERYTHING (BLEND AND LINK) ALL OVER AGAIN FROM SCRATCH; BE SURE TO WATCH YOUR PHONE DEVICE FOR THE "INSTALL DRIVERS" WARNING AND TELL IT TO INSTALL DRIVERS. LET THE PROGRAM INSTALLER CREATE ITS DEFAULT LOCATIONS FOR THE PROGRAMS.

NOTE: DO NOT RE-NAME YOUR PC (YET) AND DO NOT OPEN LINK OR BLEND YET!

3. BEFORE YOU RUN LINK OR BLEND, COPY THIS FILE:
    rimvndis6_AMD64.sys
    FROM ITS DEFAULT DIRECTORY C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    TO THE BLEND DIRECTORY C:\Program Files (x86)\BlackBerry\BlackBerry Blend
    OR WHEREVER BLEND INSTALLED ITSELF IF THAT IS NOT WHERE IT LIVES ON YOUR PC.

4. START BLACKBERRY LINK.
    SIGN IN (UPPER LEFT CORNER).
    CONNECT PHONE TO PC VIA USB.
    IN BB LINK, SELECT RECONNECT (IF YOU HAVE TO).
    WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE DONE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE BEFORE YOU SET UP SYNC & BACKUP, ETC. -- YOU WANT THIS INSTALLATION TO BE AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW.

5. ON THE PHONE, TURN ON BLEND.

6. ON THE PC, START BLACKBERRY BLEND.
    IF BLEND SAYS IT CANNOT CONNECT, FOLLOW ADVICE TO TURN PHONE OFF AND BACK ON.
    IF THAT DOES NOT WORK, TRY SELECTING "RECONNECT" A FEW TIMES.

AFTER ALL OF THE ABOVE STEPS ARE DONE, IT'S SAFE FOR YOU TO GO BACK INTO BB LINK AND SYNC UP YOUR FILES THERE (AND SET OUTLOOK TO SYNC IF YOU USE IT).
    07-17-16 12:44 PM