My company's IT guy told me, the last BB10 holdout (Q10) that he is thinking of having everyone move to the Outlook app for company email. He says he can secure that better than MS Exchange ActiveSync.

My questions are:

1. Does this require me to ditch BB10 now?
    2. If I move to Priv (or Mercury) does this mean I can't use the Android version of the Hub?

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 07:06 AM
    My company's IT guy told me, the last BB10 holdout (Q10) that he is thinking of having everyone move to the Outlook app for company email. He says he can secure that better than MS Exchange ActiveSync.

My questions are:

1. Does this require me to ditch BB10 now?
    2. If I move to Priv (or Mercury) does this mean I can't use the Android version of the Hub?

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted via CB10
    If your company has a standard (i.e. the Outlook app), it's going to be hard for you to convince them to utilize Android for Work and get the Hub working. Do you know which MDM solution they use? If it's BES, then integrating Android for Work is easy... If it's MobileIron (which we have at my work), it's significantly more difficult. As the MDM admin, I've had no luck at all integating my secure work mail into the Hub through my MDM.

Mail on the Q10 cannot, from what I understand, run through the Outlook app, particularly on a non-BES setup.

We use Gmail and I have to say, it's really not bad...
    01-26-17 07:30 AM
    We are Office365-based, no BES or MDM. So if we move away from ActiveSync, it's no more BB for me, it seems. No BB10, and no BB Android. Thanks for the help! LG G5 is probably next for me, with its replaceable battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 08:57 AM
    We're O365 based as well, but we need the extra security in Healthcare, so we're going through an MDM. You'll stuff use ActiveSync. If you guys are an Activesync shop, you can probably just go ahead and add the account through the Hub. The IT department may only SUPPORT the Outlook app. If you have a basic setup though through AS, you probably won't have any restrictions with the Hub.
    01-26-17 09:32 AM
    My work switched to Office 365 too.

All I had to do was recreate the email account on my Z10. It's still an Exchange account with our office domain name. The email server just changed to m.outlook.com. That was it.

Who's saying it's not using Exchange ActiveSync? It basically is.

If IT sets up the account on outlook.com to be more locked down and that requires going only through the Office app, then that may be a problem. We just all access our emails directly from whatever device is used. About half Android and half iPhones with me being the lone BlackBerry wolf.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 09:49 AM
    Would the Android version of Office 365 w/Outlook work on a Cobalt BB10? I was thinking of trying it out just for the sake of trying it out but seeing as the subject has been brought up......
    01-26-17 10:47 AM
    I just downloaded Outlook from the Play Store.

No need to patch it either - no Play Services required.

In fact, you can download it from the Amazon app store. The Play Store version is slightly newer, but Microsoft seems to keep the Amazon App store version updated better than most developers. It's last update was just last month. The Play Store was updated just two days ago.

I plugged in my work account info and got all emails, calendar and contact info right away.

Of course, it looks like notifications are an issue. I only get notified of emails after I open the app. It sends a notification to the Hub that I have however many new messages. But I may play with it to see how it works out. I can already see that it's no substitute for the Hub in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 01:17 PM
    I just downloaded Outlook from the Play Store.

No need to patch it either - no Play Services required.

In fact, you can download it from the Amazon app store. The Play Store version is slightly newer, but Microsoft seems to keep the Amazon App store version updated better than most developers. It's last update was just last month. The Play Store was updated just two days ago.

I plugged in my work account info and got all emails, calendar and contact info right away.

Of course, it looks like notifications are an issue. I only get notified of emails after I open the app. It sends a notification to the Hub that I have however many new messages. But I may play with it to see how it works out. I can already see that it's no substitute for the Hub in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, I might give it a shot. Thanks!
    01-26-17 02:13 PM
    O365 with hosted Exchange here as well: adding my account to both my Q10 and Classic worked without any issues. I even have access to a few resource and group email accounts by adding them as IMAP accounts. Having the Outlook app or any third-party mail app is all but useless since there's no functionality to them that the hub in BlackBerry 10 doesn't offer.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 07:01 PM