I have been a Blackberry owner since the days of monochrome screens and the thumb-wheel. I currently have the Q10 and almost left Blackberry prior to it coming out. My contract is nearly up on the Q10 and as much as I want to love The Passport I just can't do that form-factor.

So, despite this, my BIGGEST deal breaker for my next phone is the ability to use a commercial VPN (that is #1) and the ability to use Google Maps in full screen...not with these chunky top and bottom bars that we currently have with the ported version, and the ability to CHOOSE what default map provider to use. Sorry Blackberry, your maps suck! Stick to what you know, leave the maps to the pros!

Adding the CHOICE of map provider and adding more options for VPN set-up would keep me with Blackberry, despite the form factors. It strikes me as absolutely ridiculous that a company like BlackBerry that is only alive today due to its superior security features doesn't have the option to allow consumer users to use the VPN function with commercial VPN vendors. THAT will be a deal breaker for me for my next phone.

So is there anything in the pipes at Blackberry that may satisfy these two requirements or even rumours for whatever their next flagship phone will be? If not, then sadly my 17 years as a Blackberry user will end in a few months.

Poster via CB10 *****!
    08-08-15 02:34 PM
    I have been a Blackberry owner since the days of monochrome screens and the thumb-wheel. I currently have the Q10 and almost left Blackberry prior to it coming out. My contract is nearly up on the Q10 and as much as I want to love The Passport I just can't do that form-factor.

So, despite this, my BIGGEST deal breaker for my next phone is the ability to use a commercial VPN (that is #1) and the ability to use Google Maps in full screen...not with these chunky top and bottom bars that we currently have with the ported version, and the ability to CHOOSE what default map provider to use. Sorry Blackberry, your maps suck! Stick to what you know, leave the maps to the pros!

Adding the CHOICE of map provider and adding more options for VPN set-up would keep me with Blackberry, despite the form factors. It strikes me as absolutely ridiculous that a company like BlackBerry that is only alive today due to its superior security features doesn't have the option to allow consumer users to use the VPN function with commercial VPN vendors. THAT will be a deal breaker for me for my next phone.

So is there anything in the pipes at Blackberry that may satisfy these two requirements or even rumours for whatever their next flagship phone will be? If not, then sadly my 17 years as a Blackberry user will end in a few months.

Poster via CB10 *****!
    They have options to connect to commercial VPN providers, just not free ones. There's half a dozen with IPSEC support and discussed here regularly. So I think leaving out "free" from your complaint will get some pushback.

Personally, I use strongswan on my own VPS.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 08:48 PM
    What has been your experience with BeMaps 10 pro? That's native.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 08:50 PM