I'm using a Z30 presently and thinking of buying a classic. The idea is to switch phones when I get bored.

But since there are no clear signs of whether BlackBerry is going Android or BB10 or both, I'm a little worried about the support in terms of getting future OS updates. The leakes have also stopped now. Not sure if this is temporary or forever. There are a lot of good and bad rumours all around.

On the other hand, I'm in so love with BlackBerry that I'd never want to move to any other platform.

Not sure what to do, therefore I'm here seeking people's opinions.

Posted using Z30 | 10.3.2.2339
    08-18-15 01:43 PM
    Really depends on your use....

Many bought PlayBooks long after the truth came out.

If you were an IT guy planning your companies mobile devices purchases.... I'd say you'd better wait. Or if this phone is a Major purchase and you'll be using it for 2+ years... I'd say you'd better wait.

But a tech person that just like buying different device ever few months... go for it.
    08-18-15 01:48 PM
    Well you can get the Classic, which is an amazing phone with an amazing OS, like I just did two months ago with no regrets. Or you can get an Android, which could be a nice phone but comes with a very ****ty OS, and give your entire life to Google to control. Or you could get an iPhone, which are good phones with a boring OS, and give your entire life to Apple to control, it also captures your finger prints and facial recognition and shares this with FBI.

The choice you make will depend on how much control you wish to give to a Corporation. Just remember BlackBerry 10 is here now, it may not be here in a few years. If they fail, we will all be forced to choose the lesser of two evils, or go off the grid.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-18-15 02:12 PM
    If the phone does what you need it to do, you can use it indefinitely. Even if BlackBerry shut it's doors tomorrow, all BlackBerry devices wouldn't just stop working. So I think it's perfectly fine to purchase another one.

10.3.2.2339 works wonderfully on my devices and I'm happy to stay on this OS for the next couple months / years. It's up to you though.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 03:12 PM
    Buy as many as you want. They're not going to all magically stop working one day.

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs likes this.
    08-18-15 03:17 PM
    Of course the phones will still work years from now if BlackBerry discontinues BB10, but that's not what is important. Windows XP still works, but nothing is supported for it anymore and that's the problem.
    Technology gets more advanced each day, in two years cell phones could be obsolete. Anything can happen. So enjoy what you enjoy today because tomorrow it may be gone.
    08-18-15 03:24 PM
    I'm using a Z30 presently and thinking of buying a classic. The idea is to switch phones when I get bored.
    If your purchase decisions are made out of boredom instead of need or want, what difference does it make what you buy, you'll just be bored of it soon.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-18-15 03:26 PM
    Im pretty sure you can find threads like this going back 1 year, 2 years, 3 years... etc.

Want the phone? Go buy it. Like stated before, even if the company disappears overnight (pretty unlikely, considering many government agencies just procured a sh*t ton of BB10's, including the agency I work for) the phone will still work.
    08-18-15 03:30 PM
    you computer keeps running if the company goes tits up or changes OS. The same with your phones, just do it
    08-18-15 03:35 PM
    Of course the phones will still work years from now if BlackBerry discontinues BB10, but that's not what is important. Windows XP still works, but nothing is supported for it anymore and that's the problem.
    Technology gets more advanced each day, in two years cell phones could be obsolete. Anything can happen. So enjoy what you enjoy today because tomorrow it may be gone.
    Its been over a year now that XP has gone unsupported, and while that may affect some Enterprise users of the OS, no one that I know that still uses XP for personal use (an unfortunately high number of people) has had any new issues with it. Arguably security patches are going to be missed, but the OS has been out so long, you gotta figure they've addressed most of the holes.

I don't see any big risk in buying a BB10 phone at this point.
    08-18-15 03:36 PM
    I just picked up a Q10 a few weeks ago because it does exactly what I need it to do. If BlackBerry closed the doors tomorrow, I would still use the Q10. It does exactly what I need from it right now. The point is, if the Classic gives you what you need then get it. If your needs change then you can address that at that time.
    08-18-15 03:41 PM
    Neither will they magically get updates to the android runtime. Which is already two years old and 5 APIs behind....

Other than the slow browser on the PlayBook the much too old Android Runtime was they main obstacle to it being useful for ME (I know some still use and love it). Over the next year you'll find a few apps that won't work with the older runtime in BB10, and long before your two years are up you'll be regretting ever buying anything BlackBerry. If BlackBerry patches the holes that SNAP and Cobalt are using to access Google Play... will they still be around to see if there is another way in?

But as I said if you have the money and like to tinker... it could last you awhile... or till you get bored. If this is the one device you'll have to use for the next 2+ years.... THINK long and hard about it.

And while I don't expect BlackBerry to close their doors... just BB10 development and then a little later the rest of hardware.
    IF it were to happen, I'm not sure WHAT not being able to connect to the BlackBerry NOC would mean....
    No BlackBerry ID?
    No BBM?
    No BlackBerry Protect?
    How would you set up LINK or BLEND without BBID?
    App store?

But that would be a very minor concern, as I don't see that happening....
    08-18-15 03:43 PM
    Its been over a year now that XP has gone unsupported, and while that may affect some Enterprise users of the OS, no one that I know that still uses XP for personal use (an unfortunately high number of people) has had any new issues with it. Arguably security patches are going to be missed, but the OS has been out so long, you gotta figure they've addressed most of the holes.

I don't see any big risk in buying a BB10 phone at this point.
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't support XP. No blend, no link, no drivers. That's a new issue for those "unfortunately high number of people" you mentioned.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-18-15 03:53 PM
    No more leaks speaks louder than any rumors
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-18-15 03:53 PM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't support XP. No blend, no link, no drivers. That's a new issue for those "unfortunately high number of people" you mentioned.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    So in your opinion, every Windows XP user is suffering from not being able to install BB10 drivers / blend?

What I was saying, is that owning a BB10 after support has ended for it wont necessarily be an issue for you. I don't recall talking about the subset of BB10 users that were on Win XP..
    08-18-15 03:55 PM
    I went from Z30 to Classic and I don't regret it at all. The PKB is great and I'm ok with the smaller screen size. And right now, there's a sale on the Classic at shopblackberry (available in certain countries) and Amazon (in US) dropped their prices to match. I'd say now is a good time to get one!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 04:53 PM
    I just picked up a couple of weeks ago my second Z30 for a great price, new and unlocked from Staples. I now have 2 great phones as I slowly transition to get rid of my landline. So as most of the folks have said here....go for it. Buy what you want. The phone won't stop working suddenly if BB goes "t@ts up.
    08-18-15 07:25 PM