What is NFC and how it works

Blackberry z10
    05-07-15 09:43 PM
    NFC stands for Near Field Communication and when turned on it does exactly that. When two devices have NFC they can transfer data between them. Two phones for example can transfer files, or photos or contact cards. A phone and a payment terminal can transfer credit card information to pay for goods. NFC can also be used to make a "smarter" home by putting NFC tags around that when they come in close proximity to your phone can activate or deactivate things like your lights, music, or alarm zones etc..

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 10:20 PM
    In your menu settings ( drag down from top of screen) you will what looks like a capital N and that is where you can activate NFC. Remember use when you need it as it also uses battery.
    05-07-15 11:59 PM
    If u go to youtube and search u'll get many videos
    05-08-15 05:27 AM
    In your menu settings ( drag down from top of screen) you will what looks like a capital N and that is where you can activate NFC. Remember use when you need it as it also uses battery.
    It seems to make use of NFC it would have to be left on all the time. I remember it being on by default when I received my Classic, but turned it off as at the time I had no clue what it was.
    How power hungry is it? Does anyone that uses it notices a hit on your battery life when left on?

I would really like to explore the different possibilities of using it, but would prefer not to sacrifice too much of my battery.

Posted via CB10
    Soapm likes this.
    05-08-15 02:47 PM
    It seems to make use of NFC it would have to be left on all the time. I remember it being on by default when I received my Classic, but turned it off as at the time I had no clue what it was.
    How power hungry is it? Does anyone that uses it notices a hit on your battery life when left on?

I would really like to explore the different possibilities of using it, but would prefer not to sacrifice too much of my battery.

Posted via CB10
    I too would like to use it to make card payments and even enter my reward card number but I can't figure it out...
    05-08-15 03:12 PM
    I too would like to use it to make card payments and even enter my reward card number but I can't figure it out...
    There's quite a bit of info online even youtube that may help steer you. I've done some reading and have an idea how I would use it, so I've ordered some.
    Also based on what I've read the power consumption leaving it on is negligible, which would explain why the phone came with it on by default.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 06:02 PM
    There's quite a bit of info online even youtube that may help steer you. I've done some reading and have an idea how I would use it, so I've ordered some.
    Also based on what I've read the power consumption leaving it on is negligible, which would explain why the phone came with it on by default.

Posted via CB10
    After much reading as you suggested, the only true NFC solutions (tap and pay) in the US appear to be Google Wallet and Apple Pay. Are you having different luck. What was it you ordered?

I hate to say it, but it seems BB was first to globally implement the technology but there doesn't seem to be an app to make it work. Not in the US...
    05-21-15 08:16 PM