Recently, my friend who was using lumia 920 told me that a handful of new and unknown contacts mysteriously appeared in his whatsapp contacts list. Then I found out that it was actually my contacts, that I recently saved. Handful of these contacts was like 'copied' from my whatsapp account to my friend's Lumia whatsapp account.*

I sent an email to BlackBerry10 support whatsapp and hopefully they could fix this. Have this happened to anyone else before?

Posted via CB10
    Fenan84 likes this.
    04-27-15 11:10 PM
    Did you put your sim card in his phone from even one second?
    04-28-15 12:55 AM
    Did you put your sim card in his phone from even one second?
    This could be it.

Once I ended up with 5 years old deleted/long-forgotten contacts on my Whatsapp list.
    04-28-15 01:06 AM
    Nope. Not even once. It's weird because there is no way we could have swap our sim cards. There is a possibility that he uses the same wifi network like I do. It's scary to think about other people who has the same experience like I do, but the difference is, they have no idea about it. Luckily my friend told me about his unknown contact list.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:26 AM
    Strange

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-28-15 01:29 AM
    I'm just looking forward for a response from whatsapp support group that I sent earlier. Let's see how it goes...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:39 AM
    Wow. Let's see what happens

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-28-15 02:59 AM
    Security at its best! Lol

Diplomatic Passport
    04-28-15 03:28 AM
    Have u accessed any email client that syncs contacts on his device, or has he accessed any of your email accounts.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    04-28-15 04:55 AM
    Recently, my friend who was using lumia 920 told me that a handful of new and unknown contacts mysteriously appeared in his whatsapp contacts list. Then I found out that it was actually my contacts, that I recently saved. Handful of these contacts was like 'copied' from my whatsapp account to my friend's Lumia whatsapp account.*

I sent an email to BlackBerry10 support whatsapp and hopefully they could fix this. Have this happened to anyone else before?

Posted via CB10
    Facebook now owns WhatsApp. Coincidence, given Facebook's record on looking after your data? Maybe not.
    04-28-15 04:57 AM
    I think of two possibilities:
    - both phones are sync to the same email accounting that contains the contact list

- both phones are linked to facebook accounts with similar manes on them. Besides regular email accounts, my Contacts app also syncs with Facebook, so any contact with phone numbers are automatically downloaded to the app

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:40 AM
    Great example of how careful facebook/Whatsapp handle user data.
    I'm glad I abandoned WA right after the acquisition by FB.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:28 AM
    I'm pretty sure that I have not sync anything with his email account. There is no absolute purpose for doing so. Yes my friend is my classmate, and we have this shared Gmail account for study purposes that we all shared with other classmates as well. This issue has been happening since few weeks ago. I received an email earlier from whatsapp team saying my report was received, but for now, that's it.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:54 AM
    I'm pretty sure that I have not sync anything with his email account. There is no absolute purpose for doing so. Yes my friend is my classmate, and we have this shared Gmail account for study purposes that we all shared with other classmates as well. This issue has been happening since few weeks ago. I received an email earlier from whatsapp team saying my report was received, but for now, that's it.

Posted via CB10
    This could be the cause since you and your friend share the same email address?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:58 AM
    But it happened just recently. I've been synchronising my shared work email account to my BlackBerry since 2012.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 07:09 AM
    But it happened just recently. I've been synchronising my shared work email account to my BlackBerry since 2012.

Posted via CB10
    Go to the settings for this email address and check if you activated 'sync contacts'
    04-28-15 09:28 AM
    I checked the email settings and everything seems fine...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:37 AM
    Maybe your friend just turned on sync on his Lumia 920, and that's when the contacts with phone numbers saved to that shared email address synced with his phone?

You should check if that Gmail address has contacts with phone numbers saved. If not, we're on the wrong track here.
    04-28-15 10:52 AM
    My friend just told me that he never sync any email on his phone. He never intends to use his phone as a work device. That makes it even bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:11 PM
    My friend just told me that he never sync any email on his phone. He never intends to use his phone as a work device. That makes it even bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    It's 100% related to your shared email.
    It happened to me once as well.
    Lesson to learn: don't use a shared email lol...
    04-30-15 01:00 PM
    It's 100% related to your shared email.
    It happened to me once as well.
    Lesson to learn: don't use a shared email lol...
    It doesn't make sense. If the OP's friend is to be believed that he (the friend) never synced the gmail account to the Lumia 920--or at least the contacts from it--then how did those contacts get on the phone?

Just the phone numbers being stored under gmail contacts shouldn't trigger Whatsapp population. Neither should even just adding the email account to the phone. Only one specific action should: syncing the contacts from that gmail account to the phone.
    04-30-15 01:07 PM
    It doesn't make sense. If the OP's friend is to be believed that he (the friend) never synced the gmail account to the Lumia 920--or at least the contacts from it--then how did those contacts get on the phone?

Just the phone numbers being stored under gmail contacts shouldn't trigger Whatsapp population. Neither should even just adding the email account to the phone. Only one specific action should: syncing the contacts from that gmail account to the phone.
    I have a feeling the OP is mistaken in his claims, that's why.
    Happened to me before, except my contacts ended on my friends phone, and since whatsapp populates from your contacts list I assume that's how it got there.
    OP should check in the Gmail account using his browser if his contacts are synced or not. All it takes is one time of clicking 'sync contacts'
    04-30-15 01:19 PM
    Maybe I should disconnect the email and see what happens next.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 08:50 AM
    Dude, the EXACT same thing as happened to me and my girlfriend's phone today. She told me some (seven) random unknown contacts suddenly appeared on her whatsapp and when she started reading the names I realised that they were all my contacts that I had recently added to my phone (and my whatsapp) from a recent trip in LA. We have NOTHING Synced. It is bizarre. Why only those contacts from that recent period? Why now? (this happened today and I had added those contacts about a month ago). Why did they go to her phone in particular? (she has a galaxy S6, mine's an iphone 5) I am totally baffled. Please let me know if you find anything out. I'll do the same
    11-20-15 06:20 PM