I bought my new BlackBerry Passport just yesterday (i'm very happy of course!!! My previous phones were Q10, Bold 9900 and Bold 9780) and I got so excited using it. Every time I use the phone heavily (multitasking etc) the top right corner of the phone heats up. I can really feel the heat on my index finger (from the posture of my hand when I hold and use my phone) especially that the stainless steel conducts the heat well. Is this a problem? And why does it heat only on the top right corner/edge of the phone? Or is it normal? Super thanks for all your answers!! :')

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 04:56 AM
    mine heated up yesterday,lost 40% of the battery in a half an hour,I shut it down and it is back to normal now,it happens every 3 or 4 months.lol
    09-13-15 05:01 AM
    make sure Android apps like pre installed Amazon store app are Not running in background!
    Aldo Rey Tongco likes this.
    09-13-15 05:05 AM
    Top right corner is where CPU sits.
    Don't worry about the frame heating up, it functions as a heating sink, which is good.

What os are you on and what radio version.
    I also had a lot of heat but weeks of testing all radio/os'es brought me to a good combo.

Indexing is normal and creates heat BUT it should settle down pretty fast.
    I do not believe that settling can take 3days. (mine always settles after 2-3h).

Provide some extra info and i'm sure some people will be able to help you out a bit.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 05:14 AM
    Jojo! Omg that is so true! Mine as well, but I think now it's still like that, draining too fast :'(

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-13-15 07:32 AM
    mine heated up yesterday,lost 40% of the battery in a half an hour,I shut it down and it is back to normal now,it happens every 3 or 4 months.lol
    Omg that is so true! But until now it's still like that :'(

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:35 AM
    make sure Android apps like pre installed Amazon store app are Not running in background!
    I seeee, in that case I have to close all android apps too right? So android apps drain faster than native apps?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:36 AM
    Top right corner is where CPU sits.
    Don't worry about the frame heating up, it functions as a heating sink, which is good.

What os are you on and what radio version.
    I also had a lot of heat but weeks of testing all radio/os'es brought me to a good combo.

Indexing is normal and creates heat BUT it should settle down pretty fast.
    I do not believe that settling can take 3days. (mine always settles after 2-3h).

Provide some extra info and i'm sure some people will be able to help you out a bit.

Posted via CB10
    Hiii Ruben thank you so much for your technical explanation! I find it useful too. Attached is the screen shot of my details. Thanks a lot! ^_^
    My brand new BlackBerry Passport heats up :'(-img_20150913_203851.png

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:45 AM
    I got mine about two weeks ago and noticed the same problem of heating up on the top right corner. I contacted BlackBerry Support and this was their response.

"We would like to inform you that the increase in temperature of the device when used is normal. The top right corner of the device is the location of the Snapdragon 801 processor. Like any device that uses a processor (ex: laptops, desktops), it will heat up when used. The metal panels of the device does not absorb the heat. It is also a conductor. With this we will now close the ticket"

Of course I did not like their response but.. what can I do? Since then I purchased the Flex Shell and helps some how. I am a little disappointed with BlackBerry regarding this issue. However I like the looks and feel of the phone so I am willing to let this issue go and it is working.. enjoy your phone

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:54 AM
    What does your CPU graph look like? Look at the top 2-3 apps. One of those is the likely cause of the excessive CPU usage and heating.
    09-13-15 07:58 AM
    I got mine about two weeks ago and noticed the same problem of heating up on the top right corner. I contacted BlackBerry Support and this was their response.

"We would like to inform you that the increase in temperature of the device when used is normal. The top right corner of the device is the location of the Snapdragon 801 processor. Like any device that uses a processor (ex: laptops, desktops), it will heat up when used. The metal panels of the device does not absorb the heat. It is also a conductor. With this we will now close the ticket"

Of course I did not like their response but.. what can I do? Since then I purchased the Flex Shell and helps some how. I am a little disappointed with BlackBerry regarding this issue. However I like the looks and feel of the phone so I am willing to let this issue go and it is working.. enjoy your phone

Posted via CB10
    Hi Monterrelleno!! That's so comforting to hear from another person sharing exactly the same problem as I do. Thank you so much for your response and it was really helpful just as the others in this thread pointed out. I think that wasn't rude probably it really is just their way of saying "well, you don't have any effing choice" haha. With regards to phone cases I don't want to put any on my passport...I so love the design! I think we just have to get used to the heat then. Super thanks friend! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:04 AM
    What does your CPU graph look like? Look at the top 2-3 apps. One of those is the likely cause of the excessive CPU usage and heating.
    Jerry my friend! Hiii! Thank you so much for pointing this one out, attached is the one you requested, so minimize my use on these? Thanks a lot buddy it was helpful ^_^
    My brand new BlackBerry Passport heats up :'(-img_20150913_210559.png

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:07 AM
    Ugh. Any idea what you were doing during those CPU spike periods?

System cranking away that much isn't typical behavior from what I've seen.
    09-13-15 08:14 AM
    I bought my new BlackBerry Passport just yesterday (i'm very happy of course!!! My previous phones were Q10, Bold 9900 and Bold 9780) and I got so excited using it. Every time I use the phone heavily (multitasking etc) the top right corner of the phone heats up. I can really feel the heat on my index finger (from the posture of my hand when I hold and use my phone) especially that the stainless steel conducts the heat well. Is this a problem? And why does it heat only on the top right corner/edge of the phone? Or is it normal? Super thanks for all your answers!! :')

Posted via CB10
    Hi! Aldo, good day to you! Enjoy the phone this is normal. I have 3 Passports the oldest one is almost completing one year this month. The top right hand corner has the processor. The heating happens if you are downloading some data. Please ignore it. This heating is not a regular feature but only once in a while. Happy Typing!

 Passport SE propelled by 10.3.2.2639
    09-13-15 08:49 AM
    Like all passports even mine heated on the top right and now it has stopped with the latest OS. However when using skype video call it heats like hell.
    09-13-15 08:49 AM
    Ugh. Any idea what you were doing during those CPU spike periods?

System cranking away that much isn't typical behavior from what I've seen.
    Well Jerry at that time (since my phone's new) I was toggling the settings to setup my phone, also I really believe that it comes from when I synced my phone to the PC to do BlackBerry device switch with my Q10. Do you think so?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:52 AM
    Maybe. See what the usage profile looks like when you leave the phone alone.

If that doesn't help, then you may want consider doing a wipe and not restoring anything.
    09-13-15 08:55 AM
    Hi! Aldo, good day to you! Enjoy the phone this is normal. I have 3 Passports the oldest one is almost completing one year this month. The top right hand corner has the processor. The heating happens if you are downloading some data. Please ignore it. This heating is not a regular feature but only once in a while. Happy Typing!

 Passport SE propelled by 10.3.2.2639
    Hi IndianTiwari! Thank you so much for your suggestion, that was indeed assuring. I indeed love typing, the physical keyboard feedback is alluring haha. Thanks my Indian friend! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-13-15 09:03 AM
    Like all passports even mine heated on the top right and now it has stopped with the latest OS. However when using skype video call it heats like hell.
    Hi Valer! Omg you are so true esp on Skype, I did it with my friend and it was hot...I could fry an egg just by dipping the tip haha. Kidding. Thanks for your support my dear friend! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 09:06 AM
    Ok, i would like to know what radioversion that u use.
    First of all, a lot of people have been helped with this (but some didn't).

1. First try a hardreset cause the settings app uses TO much! On mine it's about 0.7%.
    2. If the settings app is settled, check if your radio is 2340 or 2640.
    With thosa radio's i had a lot of heat (actually with al the 2xxx versions).
    3. Download radio 841,859 or 799 and try to install those. These radio's are really good for battery life BUT try all 3 of them cause network,device etc give different results.
    For me the 799 radio runs extremely fresh/cool compared to any other radiofile.

I'm pretty sure this will help cause i had the exact same exp when i bought mine and i investigated it untill i found the solution.
    If you need any further help, ask me/us, we will help.

Good luck!

EDIT: btw, upgrade to the latest OS, and combine it with one of these radio's. I just noticed you are still on a older version.
    Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 09:21 AM
    Maybe. See what the usage profile looks like when you leave the phone alone.

If that doesn't help, then you may want consider doing a wipe and not restoring anything.
    I think this is a great suggestion, let the phone go to idle then see what the CPU is doing after, so clever eh hehe. But for the wipe omg that sounds too harsh lol, let me try the former first. Thanks so much dear Jerry! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-13-15 10:04 AM
    Ok, i would like to know what radioversion that u use.
    First of all, a lot of people have been helped with this (but some didn't).

1. First try a hardreset cause the settings app uses TO much! On mine it's about 0.7%.
    2. If the settings app is settled, check if your radio is 2340 or 2640.
    With thosa radio's i had a lot of heat (actually with al the 2xxx versions).
    3. Download radio 841,859 or 799 and try to install those. These radio's are really good for battery life BUT try all 3 of them cause network,device etc give different results.
    For me the 799 radio runs extremely fresh/cool compared to any other radiofile.

I'm pretty sure this will help cause i had the exact same exp when i bought mine and i investigated it untill i found the solution.
    If you need any further help, ask me/us, we will help.

Good luck!

EDIT: btw, upgrade to the latest OS, and combine it with one of these radio's. I just noticed you are still on a older version.
    Posted via CB10
    Wow you really gave a very detailed response Ruben! I feel ashamed for not knowing these things huhu T_T where can I download these radios that you've mentioned? I only know how to click "check for software updates" and if there's a new one i'll automatically download lol. I'd really like to give your suggestion a try. Thank you so much dear ^.^

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 10:09 AM
    Wow you really gave a very detailed response Ruben! I feel ashamed for not knowing these things huhu T_T where can I download these radios that you've mentioned? I only know how to click "check for software updates" and if there's a new one i'll automatically download lol. I'd really like to give your suggestion a try. Thank you so much dear ^.^

Posted via CB10
    Ok i'll guide you but first i need one answer.
    Would like a fresh install (best option to get a bugfree os)
    Or would you just like to keep everything as it is now?

Why i'm asking this is just because you have 2 options to update.
    Destructive (erases everything but it's a clean install and you will have to re-add everything).
    Non destructive will keep all you settings, apps etc BUT it also gives you a bigger chance off keeping the bugs that you have right now.

If you made a choise, let me know and i'll provide the correct links to download the BlackBerry 10.3.2 os and radio

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 10:39 AM
    I have found the following items can cause CPU usage/heat but most of this can be resolved because it isn't normal for long periods of time:
    - weak cell signal and/or wifi - phone struggles for a signal (what is your signal strength? Try moving phone closer to obtain better signal)
    - bad SD card or SD card with tons of files or corrupt filesystem (remove SD card from phone to see if issues clears up)
    - many headless apps running in the background - especially android ones
    - many email accounts on the device all sync'ing and indexing data usually for the first day or so after setting up after a wipe (system and PIM usage will be high CPU users until things "catch up" and "settle down"
    - apps - browser open with possibly multiple tabs with busy web pages (close the browser when you don't need it. Some websites will constantly refresh causing battery drain)
    - social media app settings - setting up social media apps to notify you of and check for updates too often can cause your battery to drain faster. Check twitter, Facebook, instgram settings and back these off if you can
    - screen brightness - dim the screen down on the passport or any amoled screen for that matter - 100% brightness which might be the default is usually overkill especially indoors and will drain the batter much faster
    - using GPS or navigation apps while charging - running a cpu/radio intensive app like BlackBerry maps while charging the device can cause the battery to become warm. However, ending the app and charging should allow the device to cool down within 5 mins.

Anything else, unless I am forgetting anything else obvious could mean something is wrong with the device and if a reboot or hard reset doesn't fix it, it may need to be wiped.

Typed from my AT&T passport
    09-13-15 10:45 AM
    you are welcome .. I am not sure of those radio changes can help out or not but if you want to try them go ahead. FYI I also found that when the phone gets hot can be for any reason, either you are browsing the web, reading crackberry, watching you tube, making a video call. For the response i got from Blackberry support it will happen in any condition due to the metal frame, which will not absorb the heath .. don't worry about it // I am not worrying about it
    09-13-15 11:50 AM
48 12