I've had a Blackberry 9700 for a few years now. I am in the process of changing from EE to BT, and EE keep issuing me with an unlocking code that doesn't work. What do I do?
    01-15-16 07:02 AM
    I've had a Blackberry 9700 for a few years now. I am in the process of changing from EE to BT, and EE keep issuing me with an unlocking code that doesn't work. What do I do?
    Have you used up your unlock attempts?
    Never use them up.

If, at anytime ever, you have used up your unlock attempts, the device becomes permanently locked to the carrier it was currently locked to.
    The unlock attempts do not reset, ever.
    So, once you use them up, you can't unlock the device and even if the correct unlock code is subsequently entered, the device will ignore it.
    I believe the absolute max attempts is 10.

They only way these "hard locked" devices can be "MEP reset" to allow for unlocking, is by BlackBerry physically connecting it to their system. This means they must have the device at their facility.
    This is a time consuming and expensive process.
    On a select few legacy devices, a handful of unlocking services claim to have the hardware needed to perform a MEP reset.
    Again, they must have the device at their facility to do this and it isn't something they perform for free.
    raino likes this.
    01-15-16 08:51 AM
    Double check on your end that you're providing the carrier with the correct information--model name, IMEI#, etc.

If that's all good, I would suggest trying one of the online sites that give you codes. There are free sites out there; maybe you'd like to try one of those first to see if they give you the same code as your carrier without actually using up any more of your attempts left (i.e. if it's the same code, don' bother entering it.)

I also wonder if there's a dual MEP2/MEP4 locking issue here, although the carrier would have both those codes...
    01-15-16 02:13 PM