Hello people! As a linux enthusiast I would love to know if Linux can work with my new blackberry z30. The only reason that I have dual boot with windows is in order to have blackberry link and blend. Do you believe that is worth for BlackBerry to build these 2 software for linux too?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 03:55 AM
    Hello people! As a linux enthusiast I would love to know if Linux can work with my new blackberry z30. The only reason that I have dual boot with windows is in order to have blackberry link and blend. Do you believe that is worth for BlackBerry to build these 2 software for linux too?

Posted via CB10
    Something I don't understand As a linux enthusiast and know if Linux can work with my new blackberry z30

As a linux enthusiast you should know the answer on the Linux and BlackBerry 10. How can we connect these 2 fellas question.

Anyway too be less a dush and answer your questions, over the years i figured it does not work.

1. Link installation does not work in wine or cordova.
    2. Blend I didn't try.
    3. Instead of dualboot you can run virtualbox like shown here
    4. I would Love too see native BlackBerry Link, Blend and more for Linux.. so people have more choices.
    11-11-14 04:15 AM
    Something I don't understand As a linux enthusiast and know if Linux can work with my new blackberry z30

As a linux enthusiast you should know the answer on the Linux and BlackBerry 10. How can we connect these 2 fellas question.

Anyway too be less a dush and answer your questions, over the years i figured it does not work.

1. Link installation does not work in wine or cordova.
    2. Blend I didn't try.
    3. Instead of dualboot you can run virtualbox like shown here
    4. I would Love too see native BlackBerry Link, Blend and more for Linux.. so people have more choices.
    I think I asked it wrong. Actually my main question is if it's worthed a deeper integration with linux systems

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 04:21 AM
    I think I asked it wrong. Actually my main question is if it's worthed a deeper integration with linux systems

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, then I would say yes, I was also looking into something like a link services.
    The idea is BlackBerry Link server on linux to make it easier sharing your file system.
    Just setup the server, sign in, share your files and done.

Just like in Windows but without needing the gui

To answer your questions: Yes I would love to see it, just like BES for linux instead of Windows.
    11-11-14 04:31 AM
    I love Linux especially Mint but unless Wine or play on Linux are working some magic I hardly think it will happen soon. Which is too bad because Linux is great
    11-11-14 04:44 AM
    I love Linux especially Mint but unless Wine or play on Linux are working some magic I hardly think it will happen soon. Which is too bad because Linux is great
    Linux is really great! True I use elementary os and I'm so.exited about it

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 05:00 AM
    Ahh, then I would say yes, I was also looking into something like a link services.
    The idea is BlackBerry Link server on linux to make it easier sharing your file system.
    Just setup the server, sign in, share your files and done.

Just like in Windows but without needing the gui

To answer your questions: Yes I would love to see it, just like BES for linux instead of Windows.
    I was trying to do that and is working quiet well. The only wish I have is at list to be able to run blend with wine then I can say goodbye windows

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 05:02 AM
    KDE Connect. It's right there in your Amazon AppStore. After that, it's a matter of installing KDE Connect in your distro, and pairing.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 11:23 AM
    I never had a problem to mount my device via USB. This solves the very most tasks that are file related like pumping pictures or videos or MP3 files. Another principle is to let an FTP server run on the device. There are several apps for that. The Linux PC is then an FTP client. Works great. OK, calendar or contacts management is something else.
    Charis Tsil likes this.
    11-18-14 12:53 PM
    KDE Connect. It's right there in your Amazon AppStore. After that, it's a matter of installing KDE Connect in your distro, and pairing.

Posted via CB10
    I'll try that mate

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-18-14 01:10 PM
    The main way I've shared files to my Linux computers (Debian 7 and Ubuntu Server 12.04) has been through Samba. I create a share on the computer and using Ghost Commander from BlackBerry World I navigate to the share and transfer my files. It's a little more involved than FTP, but at least I still have a little more security.

Overall the problem with trying to build Link for Linux is the fact that there are too many versions, even with just the basics of RHEL, Debian, and SuSE you're still looking at three different install packages, and different X11 systems to optimise for. For BlackBerry, Linux isn't a priority since most corporate Linux systems are going to be servers as opposed to workstations. The market just isn't there on the workstation side to make it worth the time, especially since there are likely proprietary drivers and systems being used in Link as opposed to GNU systems, so some distros wouldn't carry it in their package manager anyway.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    No. Android suffered from the same problem as Linux. Too much fragmentation. Everyone thought that they had better ideas and the OS got forked making if difficult to work as a desktop. I followed Linux from the beginning and really like it as a server. I had multiple desktop versions, but the fragmentation made me drop it for anything but server. Blackberry should not waste valuable resources for Link and Blend. Enterprise is mainly a Windows world, Consumer is mainly Windows/Apple. Let's leave it at that.
    11-19-14 07:25 AM