I was just about to order the classic ....
    Now it seems that blackberry is gone from israel

Israel - as from today - blackberry canceled all the internet, email, what up etc services in Israel. All the suppliers say that they were instructed by blackberry to cancel all on line service in Israel. Is it true?
    01-27-15 09:12 AM
    That doesn't sound right. Are you referring to just BIS plans or.. something larger?
    01-27-15 09:20 AM
    Do you have a source?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:20 AM
    There are 3 suppliers in Israel

All three say they received a message from blackberry not to supply all internet services in Israel as from today.

As for now all blackberry in Israel are dead...
    01-27-15 09:31 AM
    Lol wait...you happened to ask a supplier today about a BB Classic, and they tell you that BB is cancelling data services...the same day you call them? It could be true, but seems very fishy. And how do suppliers provide data services to phones (unless by 'supplier' you meant 'carrier'?)

Plus, as Bla1ze hinted in his post, they could be talking about BIS, which may or may not apply to a BB Classic. BB10 phones, generally, don't require BIS plans--they work off of the same, generic data plans as, say, Android phones do.

Let me ask someone who might be able to help to comment in this thread.
    zephyr613 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    01-27-15 09:43 AM

Israel - as from today - blackberry canceled all the internet, email, what up etc services in Israel. All the suppliers say that they were instructed by blackberry to cancel all on line service in Israel. Is it true?
    Many of my Israeli friends are still carrying BBOS and BB10 BlackBerry's today and they're all working.

I suspect you got a junior sales rep trying to sell you an Android or iPhone device instead - these are the normal lies that come out during that kind of sale. (Along with "BlackBerry is going out of business" and "There are no apps for BlackBerry" etc.)
    01-27-15 09:49 AM
    There are 3 suppliers in Israel

All three say they received a message from blackberry not to supply all internet services in Israel as from today.

As for now all blackberry in Israel are dead...
    I call BS on this.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    01-27-15 09:52 AM
    It has nothing o do with the classic
    It apply to all blackberry phones in Israel
    01-27-15 09:53 AM
    It has nothing o do with the classic
    It apply to all blackberry phones in Israel
    No it doesn't.... BlackBerry Internet Service is for legacy phones only. Which means BlackBerry 10 phones would be unaffected if true.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:57 AM
    Okay so let me see if I can help.

I am using an STA100-3 which is a VERIZON Z30.

First off there are more than 3 Cell Providers is Israel.
    I can list more than three off the top of my head (Golan Telecom, Cellcom, Pelephone, Orange, 012 Mobile, YouPhone, HOT Mobile, Rami Levy...)

I am using a my Verizon Z30 on Golan Telecom.

Golan Telecom is the cheapest of all the carriers and they have amazing "Unlimited" deals which have unlimited but throttled data.
    Golan Telecom also does not have their own cell towers, they use Cellcom's towers, but use their own APN.

Because I am using a VERIZON Z30, my APN setting are NOT EDITABLE through the normal method (Mobile Network settings).
    Verizon BlackBerry 10 devices (at least the Z10 and Z30) come factory unlocked to use in other networks, BUT they hard lock the APN into the device so you cannot even access the APN settings.

Israel has all BlackBerry Internet Service cancelled-img_20150127_175542.png

The way I had to change my APN was through the device's eScreen. Which isn't a big deal, BUT I believe that because my APN is not changed the normal way I DO NOT GET BLACKBERRY SERVICES which means I cannot BBM over my mobile network (not on WiFi).

I believe if I have a a device that isn't Verizon I would have BlackBerry Services but cannot confirm it is possible that Golan Telecom will not have BlackBerry Services but I know for a fact (before today at least) that they support BB7 devices. So I'm assuming you do not special services to have BBM functioning on BB10.

I know that Cellcom (the provider that Golan Telecom is using towers from) definitely supports BB10 services.

It is possible that they BlackBerry canceled all BlackBerry Services in Israel (very unlikely, I have no idea why they would do that) , but even if they did all that would mean on a BB10 device is that you will be unable to BBM when you aren't on WiFi.

Israel has all BlackBerry Internet Service cancelled-img_20150127_180705_edit.png

As you can see in the top right of the image I don't have that BlackBerry symbol that indicates you have BlackBerry Services.

Thank you for informing me of this issue I will call Carriers when I get a chance to see what I can find out with all of this.

If I left anything or wasn't clear just comment on this thread and I will clarify.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    raino and Tamashek like this.
    01-27-15 10:12 AM
    No it doesn't.... BlackBerry Internet Service is for legacy phones only. Which means BlackBerry 10 phones would be unaffected if true.

Posted via CB10
    Not true BB10 still uses BlackBerry Services for BBM.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-27-15 10:14 AM
    Not true BB10 still uses BlackBerry Services for BBM.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    Yes but the phone is still fully functional. Legacy devices are pretty much useless without it.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:18 AM
    Yes but the phone is still fully functional. Legacy devices are pretty much useless without it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point in post #10

Regardless if this rumor is true which I doubt it is, it seems very odd.

He can still use his phone besides for BBM.

All Internet will work.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-27-15 10:22 AM
    I have my old good buddy 9700

I can use it as a phone but nothing is working with the internet
    01-27-15 10:32 AM
    no.
    BBM uses BB servers for BBM routing, but it is not necessary to use BIS plan. UNLESS stupid carriers want to get more money from users.
    01-27-15 10:33 AM

9700 uses BIS to access internet.
    BB10 (including classic) doesn't need that
    01-27-15 10:33 AM
    So maybe they just canceled the BIS services?
    01-27-15 10:38 AM
    Not sure what you're seeing or what the carriers are hearing but according to BlackBerry everything is running fine there and no issues have been reported as of yet.
    01-27-15 10:52 AM

Now why would BlackBerry tell carriers to stop online service? I don't think they can or would do it. Isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:57 AM
    So maybe they just canceled the BIS services?
    It's possible but still very unlikely they canceled BIS services there would be no reason and it would be extremely stupid.

Regardless if you buy a Classic it should work pretty much flawlessly, minus BBM.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-27-15 11:06 AM

What Carrier are you using?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-27-15 11:07 AM
    So, to summarize:

-Pre-BB10 aka BBOS phones require a BIS data plan
    -BIS is working fine in Israel (WArcher, Bla1ze)
    -BB10--maybe minus BBM--does not require BIS in Israel (benbraun322)
    -BBM on BB10 in general does not require BIS (yessuz, raino*)

*I have used BBM over WiFi on my Q10 before I had ever put a SIM card in it. This can be duplicated by taking out the SIM card and BBMing simply over WiFi.
    Last edited by raino; 01-28-15 at 01:31 PM.
    walcolm and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-27-15 12:04 PM
    Using z10 on Orange right now and all is working well.
    OP, if you are going to order the classic than you shouldn't have any problem anyway as others have remarked.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:05 PM
    Raino, could this problem in Israel be related to the problem that affected Blackberry operations in Bangladesh? Regulator directs GP, Airtel to discontinue BlackBerry services

Telecoms were ordered to take BBOS devices out of service since their communications couldn't be monitored.
    01-27-15 12:23 PM
    Raino, could this problem in Israel be related to the problem that affected Blackberry operations in Bangladesh? Regulator directs GP, Airtel to discontinue BlackBerry services

Telecoms were ordered to take BBOS devices out of service since their communications couldn't be monitored.
    In theory, yes--the Israeli government/regulator could have made similar demands. But I doubt that they did. Besides, it would be in the news. Plus, as Bla1ze found out through his contacts at BB, no discontinuation of services has taken place in Israel. All is well.
    01-27-15 12:44 PM
124 123 ...