I would like to know which Blackberry you would suggest. The Passport or the Z30? I like that the Z30 has the mini HDMI Port but would be willing to give it up if the Passport would work better. I need long battery life also.
    10-16-14 05:34 PM
    The Passport supports hdmi out too, you just need a little adapter.

They will both do all the same things and run the same OS. You just have to choose the form factor, and that is a personal preference.

Both have excellent battery life.

Physical keyboard versus virtual: no one knows better than you.

Large square screen or rectangle: what type of documents do you work with most?

Sounds like you need to try both. If you can't, you'll have to go with your gut.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-16-14 05:39 PM
    If you're in the field, I would suggest the Passport due to battery life if you don't have a preference for touch screen typing.
    rojam86 likes this.
    10-16-14 05:41 PM
    I would like to know which Blackberry you would suggest. The Passport or the Z30? I like that the Z30 has the mini HDMI Port but would be willing to give it up if the Passport would work better. I need long battery life also.

Unless USB OTG is something you want to do while connected to HDMI output, I'd say go with the Passport, because that is the only benefit.

You can have HDMI out on the passport with an adapter. And most adapters have a microusb port on them so you can charge at the same time.

That being said, these 2 are totally different price ranges, so you'd have to decide if the benefits of a bigger screen, battery and faster processor is worth the cost difference. Of course the form factor is also totally different.
    10-16-14 05:41 PM
    OP - what phone do you use now? What type of sales? I'm a road warrior - Industrial sales / engineered product consultant and have the Z30 and receiving my Passport tomorrow.

I can't tell you one or the other yet, but I'm thinking either would make me equally happy and productive - key for me will be BlackBerry Blend with a tablet / laptop in the truck / hotel / on-site. That said, on my AT&T account, it was almost as cheap to have 4 phones/tablets as it was to have 2 on a biz shared data plan (2 of us in the field) so I currently use Z30 and Q10 and will dual carry Passport and Z30.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-16-14 05:51 PM
    I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I do not like it and the battery life is horrible. I am in Industrial Sales also. On the road every day. Battery life very important. I need a phone that will allow maximum visual for receiving vendor quotes and spreadsheets.
    10-16-14 06:09 PM
    I would like to try them out, however, I cannot find a store locally that has any Blackberry's at all!!
    10-16-14 06:11 PM
    I work with PDF files and spreadsheets. I just need to be able to save to Dropbox or another cloud storage app.
    10-16-14 06:14 PM
    If you are in the UK and can wait until next weekend....... then I would have time to show you both....

Obviously you could invite me to visit you over said weekend ;-)

Honestly: Z30 is amazing, the Passport is much nicer however. It is the smallest tablet in the world that actually allows you quick typing.

The only other device I could recommend for road warriors is a Galaxy Note.

I will get the next Galaxy Note Tablet just to finally be able to get rid of pieces of paper. Sometimes a pen is still mightier than the keyboard

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 06:19 PM
    I work with PDF files and spreadsheets. I just need to be able to save to Dropbox or another cloud storage app.
    I think BlackBerry was spying on you and decided to build the Passport around your needs.....

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, both phones have the identical functionality. All the things you mentioned would be a piece of cake for either device. Battery will last all day. No problem.

If you are dealing mostly with spreadsheets and business documents, you might appreciate that big square screen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    CDM76 likes this.
    Rojam, what country?

10-16-14 06:33 PM
    Southeastern United States
    10-16-14 08:05 PM
    I think you want/need the Passport. That screen redefines visibility. It's love at first sight. Battery life is also better on the Passport, primarily because of the screen technology. Since you read PDFs and spreadsheets, my guess is that you will be seeing a lot of white backgrounds which drives AMOLED screens to almost double the power consumption of standard lighting. Passport has added processing power but I would say the extra 1 GB of RAM is the bigger asset as far as specs go.

Both phones are excellent and the choice would normally be about form factor. The Z30 has competitive specs with great battery life in multimedia scenarios and the new negative contrast feature in 10.3 will help save energy by giving you dark backgrounds when you need to perform extended reading. In normal browsing/reading the Passport will give you almost 3 hours more according to gsmarena reviews of the two.
    10-16-14 09:39 PM
    I guess it depends on your preferences and needs

Keyboard

The Z30 has a virual keyboard that works better than any other out there whereas the Passport has a physical keyboard with all the advantages that brings when you're out and about.

Screen

Z30 has a rectangular big screen to view documents, images and videos. Passport has a square screen also big enough to review any document you need

Battery life

Although the Z30 has a really good battery (I'm a heavy duty user and usually get 12 solid hours out of it) the Passport battery is a monster I don't own a Passport but I know people who do and they tell me they get up to 20 hours of use out of it

At the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong with any of them so go to a store and try them out. You will fall in love with both

Posted via CB 10 from my Z30
    10-16-14 10:19 PM
    I am in sales as well and I have been using Z30 as a personal device and most recently Q10 (previously Z10) as my work phone.

I recently have purchased a Passport to be my work phone but for reasons I won't go into here it will be my personal phone for the next little while and I have been using Z30 as my work device and to be honest I miss Q10 as my work device.

I absolutely love the Z30 but if I had to pick one phone it would be the Passport. I am starting to feel guilty about giving up the PP as my personal phone as well.

Why I prefer it over Z30?
    -screen size
    -screen resolution
    -although not as accurate I prefer hammering out emails on physical kb

Why I would choose Z30:
    -if I was showing a lot of media and required wide screen (I personally have no video issues on Passport)
    -if I required hard wire for both video and USB device(s) at same time

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:20 PM
    PDFs, Spreadsheets, and Battery Life scream Passport to me.

You won't find a better phone for that kind of productivity.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget integrated dropbox functionality.
    10-16-14 10:32 PM
    Puck, on my z30 I've been using Box, Dropbox, and One Drive with absolutely no issues - not sure if definition "integrated ..." changes with 10.3, but has it changed from my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247?

10-16-14 11:43 PM
    I have a passport but I've also had a Z30 and I would say the both are fine devices but I like having the big screen+the keyboard

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 11:59 PM
    Southeastern United States
    I'm in Baton Rouge, cover all of Louisiana. Specialized pipe / tubing fittings.

You?

If we would be close enough ever, I could show you both phones.

10-17-14 12:29 AM
    Another point: a sales rep is always looking for something to keep the conversation going, and the Passport is DEFINITELY a conversation piece.
    10-17-14 12:52 AM
    Try both of them if you can. But passport seems like the better choice for your case.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:06 AM
    My battery life averages 12 hours a day since Sunday on my passport. My Q10 had better battery life. I am just hoping my passport is still settling in as the battery is non-removable and can no longer swap out and since I am a heavy user, I don't want to ever be a wall hugger. I do keep my screen on 100% brightness as well!
    10-17-14 01:22 AM
    Live in the Charleston, SC area.
    10-17-14 01:59 PM
    In my opinion, you may prefer the Z30 if you are a sales rep. Here's why:

The Z30 has a large 5" low drain AMOLED display ideal for videos, demos, and even watching HD TV broadcast on 16x9 format. This makes it ideal for demonstrating products and services to clients "on the go."

The Z30 also 4 powerful speakers for making presentations. It has both HDMI and USB ports already integrated as well as MiraCast and Bluetooth capabilites for easy hook up to external monitor and/or keyboard. The large battery also means the device will run for a long time between charges.

I originally had the BlackBerry Torch 2, which was a great device, offering the option of physical keyboard as well as touch screen. I found I was increasingly using the touch screen, and so found it easy to adapt to the Z30 's large virtual keyboard. The spell check and auto- suggest feature are fantastic. The HUB is also great for keeping grace of all your messaging and social media.

I'm sure the Passport is a great device as well, and I understand it has a large battery, touch keyboard and bright screen.

However, if you are often making presentations, and really need a productive professional device with large clear display, I would recommend the Z30. I love it.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    10-17-14 02:11 PM
32 12