Can somebody with deep knowledge on the subject please explain to me what EXACTLY is the Hypervisor ??? Is it a blended OS of BB 10 and Android ? Is it a better, more integrated Android run time ? Is it dual boot ? Is it going to be good ? Is it going to be implemented at all ? I'm confused !

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:21 PM
    Can somebody with deep knowledge on the subject please explain to me what EXACTLY is the Hypervisor ??? Is it a blended OS of BB 10 and Android ? Is it a better, more integrated Android run time ? Is it dual boot ? Is it going to be good ? Is it going to be implemented at all ? I'm confused !

Posted via CB10
    Honestly? It's snake oil that some people cling to as Blackberry's saving grace despite it simply not working the way they wish it to.
    MaxR_A likes this.
    08-24-15 04:45 PM
    Honestly? It's snake oil that some people cling to as Blackberry's saving grace despite it simply not working the way they wish it to.
    I sorta feel the same way. I just wish somebody could be more specific about what it is and whether it's still a possibility that it will be implemented.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:51 PM
    I sorta feel the same way. I just wish somebody could be more specific about what it is and whether it's still a possibility that it will be implemented.

Posted via CB10
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

The main advantage of a Hypervisor is that it can emulate multiple copies of an OS in a secure and segregated matter. Each guest OS would have limited communication with each other, and each can be shut off ore replaced at will. the hypervisor is no more able to secure each guest OS then if each OS was running on it's own hardware

This has absolutely no use for a handset. You would only be able to operate one copy of Android at once, and the Hypervisor emulates but does not have control over how the OS actually functions. It's about as useful as wrapping a condom around your phone and claiming it's secured from viruses.
    MaxR_A likes this.
    08-24-15 06:10 PM
    As others have said a hypervisor is a thin and efficient (for a certain definition of efficient) way to run multiple guest OSes on a single machine.

BB did not invent hypervisors. They exist on PC's and Macs, and in server rooms. Intel has had hardware support for hypervisors for a few years now.

I think the QNX hypervisor has interesting potential in cars, and I think that's why they are investing in this idea. That makes perfect sense.

I can't, however, see any useful application in phones or anything else that isn't connected to a giant car battery or engine.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-24-15 06:27 PM
    QNX Hypervisor

It actually provides a lot more advantages than operating more than one copy of Android at once.
    - A type 1 hypervisor like QNX can virtualize hardware and enable the Linux kernel inside of Android to run with generic, free drivers, instead of proprietary drivers. That means: you will be able to run an AndroBerry with the LATEST Linux kernel, not being limited to use 3.4 or 3.10, the only branches supported in Android, bringing more security, more speed, and less privilege escalation bugs.
    - A type 1 hypervisor like QNX can run Android side by side with a slimmed down BlackBerry 10 system, and provide communication between both.
    - A type 1 hypervisor can truly partition a mobile device and switch between a work side, with a slimmed down BlackBerry 10 and only enterprise approved apps, and a personal side, with Android. This is coherent with the message Chen delivered (please, BB10 native devs, stick to enterprise).
    - You can implement slim services in a type 1 hypervisor, like networking, SMB/CIFS, and encryption. If Android runs sandboxed, then Android apps won't be able to scratch the hypervisor.

All of this costs RAM, but that's why a Passport ships with 3 GB, and not 1.5 GB.
    spike12 likes this.
    08-25-15 10:34 PM
    A load of bull.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    08-25-15 11:04 PM
    The hypervisor theory can be explained as a "potential" way to satisfy google's licensing terms. All speculation so far. But what I can tell you is that both iPhone and android phones run 2 os'es, a small rtos runs a headless app that operates the actual voice call modem. I don't Kobe how Apple does their secon Qnx is a rtos that runs both the modem and all the blackberry is, the gui, the apps...

In order to have g mail, google maps and Google App Store on your phone (all are under Google proprietary license), you cannot fork android. Amazon with all their money tried to fork android with their fire phone and Amazon App Store --- they crashed and burned.

But what about the phone makers that promised to not fork android?

Nobody makes money on android phones. LG makes $220,000 on android phones in TOTAL, about 1 cent per LG phone sold. Samsung only makes money because they make the cpu, the ram, the ram hard drive, the lcd screen...
    kgbbz10 and MaxR_A like this.
    09-10-15 10:23 PM