Apparently this virus has been out for some time. It was noted at least as early as April 2016 by Check Point.

Today, Check Point indicated 10 million Android devices were infected.

Seems to be a fair amount of debate over how "malicious" this is. If PRIV not susceptible to this, would be nice reassurance that BBRY devices have the security proposition that is at the crux of their hardware existence. Will we hear anything from BlackBerry? Is the device safe? Or is this another lost marketing opportunity?
    07-05-16 06:01 PM
    As long as you don't install apk outside of the Playstore you should not be be exposed to this.
    07-05-16 06:06 PM
    I can see how that would make sense. That didn't appear in any of the articles now posted on the virus. Some of the articles suggest that the virus is introduced through surfing dubious web sites or that it can appear as a legitimate software update to an unsuspecting end user.

If the virus were introduced via an apk outside the Playstore, it woudn't necessarily need to appear as a software update. Perhaps that is needed to to gain deeper access to the OS....

CNET article states: "HummingBad began as a "drive-by download attack," in which phones were infected when people visited websites."

So, if that's the case, I'm still curious if PRIV is as vulnerable as other Android handsets.
    07-06-16 04:06 AM
    yes you can visit a website with the malware, you click a link that advertises something free and it downloads an apk, It relies on a rooted device or or the ability to root a device to auto-install neither of which is vulnerable on PRIV. If it cannot auto-install it will send you a false request for a system update which is cover to install the apk to bypass your built in in OS protections.
    07-06-16 03:04 PM
    It's an Android device, it will be vulnerable; people get mixed up with the whole security thing and BlackBerry, their security is stopping unauthorised access and data stealing prevention not general malware prevention

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 03:15 PM