I just lost my Q10 on Saturday but need some reassurance my device cant be used and the BB Password Keeper app (containing sensitive, confidential info), that came with the phone is secure / cant be hacked. The Q10 is lock protected with a four digit password and the Password Keeper app has an eight digit password. So far I've had the carrier restrict the data. We are hoping someone will find it and see the lock screen message with my office phone and call us but can anyone assure the phone and the Password Keeper app is secure cant be hacked? Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-26-15 10:21 AM
    Without the correct password the phone is secure as can be these days. Entering the wrong password 10 times will lead to a wipe of the phone and all data lost. The SD card may be removed and read if it is not encrypted. Otherwise BB is a very secure platform.
    01-26-15 10:25 AM
    I've never known a BlackBerry smartphone to be hacked.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-27-15 08:05 PM
    With a 4 digit password there are approximately 10000 combinations.

Way more than the 10 attempts Blackberry allows you.

Should be alright unless your 4 digit pin is 1234, 0000, 1111, or even the last 4 digits of your phone number displayed on your lock screen. But if certain keys on your Q10 are worn out more than others it could indicate the digits in your pin. In that case there's 24 possible combinations that may work I believe. Brings the odds way down.

Password keeper app is very secure. With an 8 digit pass code there are 100 000 000 possible combinations. I think you're pretty safe.

No need to worry.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:00 PM
    I just lost my Q10 on Saturday but need some reassurance my device cant be used and the BB Password Keeper app (containing sensitive, confidential info), that came with the phone is secure / cant be hacked. The Q10 is lock protected with a four digit password and the Password Keeper app has an eight digit password. So far I've had the carrier restrict the data. We are hoping someone will find it and see the lock screen message with my office phone and call us but can anyone assure the phone and the Password Keeper app is secure cant be hacked? Thanks

Even with all that did you have BlackBerry Protect enabled? If so you can...
    1) locate device (if on)
    2) wipe device remotely
    3) send a message to the device
    4) lock device
    5) have device emit a loud noise

What OS I'm on is my business, get off my NUTS! Ex-BerryLeaks member (best group ever)
    01-27-15 09:21 PM
    Was the phone encryption enabled. Picture password is easier for the user and harder for a thief. Always turn on Protect, always. It is free and it works. Problem is now if it is on, it is not able to connect to the cellular tower with the carrier locking it out

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:35 PM
    With a 4 digit password there are approximately 10000 combinations.

Way more than the 10 attempts Blackberry allows you.

Should be alright unless your 4 digit pin is 1234, 0000, 1111, or even the last 4 digits of your phone number displayed on your lock screen. But if certain keys on your Q10 are worn out more than others it could indicate the digits in your pin. In that case there's 24 possible combinations that may work I believe. Brings the odds way down.

Password keeper app is very secure. With an 8 digit pass code there are 100 000 000 possible combinations. I think you're pretty safe.

No need to worry.

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure how you come with your theory of worn keys indicating a person's pin, but it certainly was entertaining.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 11:36 PM
    I am not sure how you come with your theory of worn keys indicating a person's pin, but it certainly was entertaining.

Posted via CB10
    You use the same keys over and over and over again to unlock your phone there may be a chance it shows signs of wear. I'm not saying that it will it's just a theory.

Along the same lines of an alarm keypad. On some alarm keypads you can see worn out keys indicating the digits that make up an alarm code. If the security admin doesn't hand out random codes then most codes may start or end with the same 2 digits.

Your welcome for the entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 11:44 PM
    I wouldn't have the cellular data turned off. Since BlackBerry protect is 'on' by default, I would have first tried to locate it and go there in person to collect it
    But again, if the phone was switched off, then no point in doing anything. I'd have blocked the sim card and hoped for someone to call me on seeing the lockscreen info containing my phone number. But again, the data on the SD card, if sensitive, is worrying

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:03 AM
    Thanks for your input everyone. The keyboard didnt show any wear whatsoever where I enter the unlock code and the phone is set up w/ BB Protect. It was lost snowmobiling in remote no service area on US-Canada border in northern ME where there's more moose than people. BB Protect wont work until phone is found and brought into a covered area. By now the battery is discharged but I sent a "return me" message through BB Protect, hoping someone may find it and figure out how to recharge and turn on while in a covered area. I was mainly concerned about the info contained in Password Keeper but it seems unlikely anyone could get into this. I wish BB Protect was as robust on BB 10 as on my trusty Bold which is what im using right now.

01-28-15 05:44 AM