Are my text, bbm, email secured using BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 02:49 AM
    Yes until someone steals your phone but then the thief will have to guess your password to open the phone

Posted via My Cute BlackBerry z30
    09-15-14 03:40 AM
    And after 10 tries, the phone be wiped clean.....
    09-15-14 01:17 PM
    Eggsactly!!!

09-15-14 01:42 PM
    Yes until someone steals your phone but then the thief will have to guess your password to open the phone
    NO, if you entered your BlackBerry ID & Password at an infected Computer, your login is stolen. If transmitted your data over a untrusted WLAN Network your login could be stolen, too.
    ( allways beware of Internet Cafes, open Hotspots eg McDump, there are tons of android Apps like DroidSheep who steel cookies and capture your session with "man in the middle attacks" )
    BlackBerry OS is "safer" and had less attacks because of it's OS Design but there are newer exploits out there...)
    09-15-14 01:54 PM

Posted via CB10

To a certain degree, they are. Nothing sent to your phone is encrypted (unless you're using BBM Protected which costs money to use) but most communications are scrambled either by BlackBerry or by your carrier. Of course, once the messages get to your phone you'll want to make sure you have a password to protect them, as was suggested by other posters.

Cheers.
    09-15-14 01:56 PM
    NO, if you entered your BlackBerry ID & Password at an infected Computer, your login is stolen. If transmitted your data over a untrusted WLAN Network your login could be stolen, too.
    ( allways beware of Internet Cafes, open Hotspots eg McDump, there are tons of android Apps like DroidSheep who steel cookies and capture your session with "man in the middle attacks" )
    BlackBerry OS is "safer" and had less attacks because of it's OS Design but there are newer exploits out there...)
    That's if you are using BBOS. On BB10, your blackberry ID and password are irrelevant when restoring data. Only data that gets restored is your BBM contacts. Chats are not even restored without a backup on blackberry link.
    Also, those login details can't be changed without the security question. The hacker will need to be able to guess the right answer to that. And you can always recover yourself while the hacker is still thinking or guessing.
    So my friend, Blackberry10 is secured.

CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-15-14 04:00 PM
    What do you mean be secured? There are many ways to answer the question. What email accounts are you using? You texts arent really secure as any phone company will be able to access them. BBM is someone secure since you can only access it via the phone so someone needs direct access to that.

More info please
    09-15-14 04:33 PM
    Define 'secured'.
    09-15-14 04:41 PM
    How about this scenario: I use the mobile hotspot on my Q10 to go online with my Windows 8 tablet. I use IE on the tablet to do online banking. How safe is my banking information?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 04:42 PM
    Ha Ha Ha, NOT secure ! And please don't come and say i am using WPA2-AES on my Hotspot...
    ...Ha Ha it's WiFi you don't know what someone can do without guessing passwords ?
    Ha Ha
    09-15-14 05:36 PM
    I want to ask a simple question:

What do you think we get very frequently tons of updates ?

BB put new user wanted features in their releases everytime..lol.
    Dream On ! They fix their OS holes, but they don't make it public.
    For me it's not really transparent ( Microsoft fixes are more transparent )
    If you want to really secure your BB Device then : Balance, BES and the german SecuPingPong
    with rotating IMAI before every call !
    09-15-14 06:01 PM
    So just owning a blackberry is like owning another ordinary device. You are only secured with BlackBerry if you pay for the service?

Am I in the ballpark, here?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 05:25 PM
    So just owning a blackberry is like owning another ordinary device. You are only secured with BlackBerry if you pay for the service?

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much. An off the shelf BlackBerry is just as susceptible as any other device. Common sense and strong passwords go a long way. Especially when it comes to the things you highlighted as being points of concern.

If you leave your device unlocked, people can read your stuff. If someone has your password, people can read your stuff. If you're part of an investigation, lawful access laws can cause your carrier to turn over SMS records and your email provider can be required to do the same. The verdict is realistically still out on whether or BlackBerry can turn that stuff over but if police have your device, they can already read it so it's moot.

Does BlackBerry arguably offer more security features on their on the shelf devices? Probably. But at the end of the day, it's all useless if it's never put into action which is where that common sense and strong passwords come into play. Just like how a lock on a door is useless is no one ever uses it, security features on a smartphone are useless as well if no one ever turns them on.
    09-16-14 07:20 PM
    You can't MiTM a BlackBerry, believe me I've tried.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 08:19 PM
    You can't MiTM a BlackBerry, believe me I've tried.
    Try harder !

I hope it was your own device...
    09-17-14 02:06 PM
    By your thinking, yes it's an ordinary device. It has a common CPU, Battery etc...
    But the overall design and OS makes it a blackberry.

I like Blackberry, but don't love it like the iPhone mass religion did, for me it is only a device, a very good device, but nothing to rub me on.

Yes, we have to pay for the EXTRA security, but OS Security is STRONG out of the box.

If you want a cheap solution like SecuSmart does, you could change your IMEI before every call ( programmer tools are out there ) but you need free IMEI ranges to not overlay with existing phones, and i think it could be illegal to do if doesn't fit.
    To totally anonymize your phone you have to use a new sim before every call, too. ( IMEI and SIM numbers are the traced ones )
    Ah, and you need encrypting your voicestream/internet. Welcome to the paranoia... it could be done, but how stressing.

We all suffer a bit from Blackberrys security design ( NATO certified etc ) but we are still the normal folk...
    09-17-14 02:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes and no.

Unless your entire communication chain is secure, owning a BB doesnt do anything in terms of avoiding getting hacked. Texts go through your phone company (exposed), Emails go through Google or Yahoo's server (Exposed). By the time the data gets to your phone its probably been exposed a few times to vulnerabilities. No different than iOS or Android.

For the "no":
    Of the 3 main platforms Android, iOS and BB10, one OS is run by the world's largest data-miner of personal info, the 2nd is run in an ecosystem designed to force as much paid content into your device as possible. Blackberry has no revenue streams currently linked to the OS on your phone. Of the 3 its probably the most secure for that reason only. Blackberry sells themselves on security and productivity, not pushing paid cloud content, or data-mining your phone for targeted ad spam.
    09-17-14 02:39 PM
    Thanks for all these answers. Now I'm better educated.

Thanks, again.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 06:02 PM
    One can encrypt the data and files.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 06:38 PM