Hi,
    Recently I've become very interested in BlackBerry and I'm eager to buy a BB 10 device.
    But I'm so frustrated.due to lack of Official BlackBerry shops in my region and at the other side, there are many dishonest BlackBerry sellers which they cannot be trusted.

Could anyone please help me to identify a brand new BB 10 device and not loosing the money for a refurbished, used or a fake device?

I already searched the forum and internet but cannot get a proper answer.
    Some say "look into the call summery or Boot Time in the OS setting" or "check the intro welcome screen of the device" but they can easily be reset by a flash and reformatting the OS.

The others say "look for the box and its seal", but believe me, I saw that a seller go to the next shop, put a used device into it's box (with all the accessories) and sealed it and then, went back to his own and sold the phone. As easy as A B C )
    { And at the moment I saw that you cannot just Trust any seller , But the Official ones. }

And unfortunately, the IMEI code cannot be used for checking a "used device" but to check its validity (as far as I know).

In previous BB phones, there was a BUYR code to check the data usage which it seems the values cannot be changed. But is there a SOLID way in BB 10 OS devices that can be used to identify a "used phone" ?

Please help, I'm dying to join the BB community
    Last edited by sajjad7; 02-18-15 at 09:04 AM.
    02-17-15 08:40 AM
    Usually I recognise from the smell

Brand new device has certain smell

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Q10Bold, sajjad7 and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    02-17-15 08:51 AM
    Smell it!

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    sajjad7 likes this.
    02-17-15 09:02 AM
    Yeah smell it! The Q10 and Z30 (and as far as I remember the Z10) got a nice 'aroma' ! Especially the Backdoor!!
    The Classic a very Plastic/cheap smell!
    sajjad7 likes this.
    02-17-15 09:07 AM
    It smells like...
    Victory!

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    02-17-15 09:08 AM
    Thank guys
    I forgot that

Any other solid ones ? : )))))
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-17-15 09:33 AM
    Thank guys
    I forgot that

Any other solid ones ? : )))))
    Since the Passport (and Classic) BB is sending a Welcome Email with a special BlackBerry 30 Day Support Phonenumber after the first setup ever I believe.
    It was not the case in Q5, Q10, Z10 and Z30...or I just dont remember
    sajjad7 likes this.
    02-17-15 10:07 AM
    Go to BlackBerry. Com and order one up

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 10:18 AM
    The only real way would be to see if the device PIN has been associated with a BBID account previously (although I guess a device could be minimally used without a BBID activation--but not likely).

Unfortunately BlackBerry doesn't provide any site where you can input a PIN and it will either give you a YES (previously activated/associated with a BBID) or NO (never activated/associated with a BBID).

Then there's the issue with them recycling PINs (not sure if they really do).

I guess you can also check to see if the charging port shows signs of wear, or if the back cover seems too lose.

At the end of the day,.. if everything is working perfectly with the device, then does it really matter? Are you being practical or is this just a matter of not feeling "duped"?

Posted via CB10
    sajjad7 likes this.
    02-17-15 10:40 AM
    I really appreciate all of your replays.
    Honestly, I like the idea of checking the charging port and a loos back cover, especially the device smelling

At the end of the day,.. if everything is working perfectly with the device, then does it really matter? Are you being practical or is this just a matter of not feeling "duped"?
    Actually, you are right. But, there is no guarantee that every thing works perfectly . I'm just tying to avoid a possible loss
    As "Q10Bold" said, is BB actually send a Welcome email for a certain PIN code at the very first moment of start up? Could you explain more ?
    (for Passport and Classic)
    Last edited by sajjad7; 02-18-15 at 09:38 AM.
    02-18-15 08:02 AM
    lol dkm
    02-18-15 08:07 AM

At the end of the day,.. if everything is working perfectly with the device, then does it really matter?

Posted via CB10
    Outside the regions where Amazon/BlackBerry website is operating/delivering, latest devices are available at a premium price. Paying that price knowing that it has been used/opened/"does not have the smell" just doesn't cut it. It's human nature, perhaps?

In Pakistan, I have been duped twice - both the times it was a refurbished device with full price when the rest of the world had begun to get $150 - 200 off (not blaming anyone, just stating facts). In a developing country, it's wise to order directly from the manufacturers via a freight forwarder by paying $150-200 extra.

The last para is an advice for you, OP.
    sajjad7 likes this.
    02-18-15 09:11 AM