Been having this issue for a while now on the Q10.

You select a picture and set it as the display picture for BBM. Then you get
    the crop tool and other picture editing tools. How do you zoom out or in of the picture
    to then crop it? Or how to increase the crop area when you select set as BBM display picture? Just cant seem to get the full picture as the display picture.
    With OS7 this was a piece of cake.
    12-24-14 02:49 AM
    The zoom is through the crop tool. When you click Enhance (second button on the bottom), it will show you the zoomed in/zoomed out view. But keep in mind that the BBM display photo must be a square.
    12-24-14 09:28 AM
    To "zoom in", pinch the crop box to make it smaller which in turn "increases" the picture within the crop box.
    However, to get a "larger than crop box" picture into the box, to get the full picture to display, you will need to re-size the image first outside of the BBM editor, as there is a max resolution size in BBM.
    I use Irfanview on a PC to edit images.
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
    12-24-14 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys..
    I think the main issue here is when you get pictures which are not a square as are most pictures on the net.
    If you could zoom out making the picture smaller it would fit in the square box then it would not be an issue.

You have lets say a picture of a mountain and try set that as your bbm pic. You will end up using the crop tool in and out
    but only in the center of the mountain and wont really be able to show the whole mountain (left to right). This is just an example
    as even with pictures having several people in it you cant get them all showing in the square box. Zooming out would make the
    picture smaller but you would see everyone.

Using a PC is out of the question as you have a smart phone which should be smart. With the 9900 this was done directly on the cell
    so I don't see why I need to run to a PC. You get certain pictures from fb, email, bbm etc and you immediately want to set it as your display picture. No time to waste.
    12-26-14 01:29 AM