My much loved Q10 died yesterday. One minute it was fine, next minute no life. Tried all the tips and tricks, but it won't show signs of power from any source. Called T-mobile and they are sending me a new handset overnight.

When getting a replacement handset, they require a return of the defective one. My question then; is there any way (short of a friend's suggestion to 'apply hammer with vigour', which could be problematic to free replacement) to wipe all my personal information from the phone before sending it back.

Note: It died suddenly with a 90% charge, will not connect to my pc so link can't connect to it. I have tried multiple (only OEM!) cables, chargers, and fully charged batteries. I'm not overly worried about retrieving unbacked up data or apps, only about sending information to goodness knows where/who when it goes home to the mothership!
    03-26-15 10:46 AM
    Sorry but unlike normal computer hard drives, the storage in a phone isn't really susceptible to outside sources - like a giant magnet. You need to be able to access the chip to rewrite the 1's and 0's on it or physically damage it.

I guess it really comes down to how important is the data on your Q10 too you... Just a few generic documents and pictures, they I'd send it back. As it is doubtful that they'll even bother to repair it and if they do they don't really have time to search for stuff on peoples phones. But then if you have a bunch or personal spreadsheets with Credit Card Accounts, or you are a big "personal" photo taker... might want to forgo the credit a returned device is worth, as you just never know.

Could be avoided in the future with encryption and a password, as those 1's and 0's would just be a jumble without the encryption key and the password to unlock it (or a supercomputer).
    Wikichick likes this.
    03-26-15 11:09 AM
    Thanks!
    03-27-15 09:30 PM
    I think the board is fried in the phone from what you have described. They'll just chuck the motherboard away and install a new one. I think your data is all but inaccessible and they're just going to chuck it in the bin. It's certainly not worth trying to salvage any data from a damaged chip or board. You're safe. (in my opinion)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    03-28-15 02:11 AM